GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Character Control Panel ... Feedback Requested... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Zecaida
Austria
flag msg tools
Sorry for the long post as well as too many images, but I think it is necessary to explain myself.

I would really appreciate your feedback about the "Character Control Panel" I have been working on for the last three months, I have not played that much Kingdom Death Monster (I am in the middle of my first campaign), because of this I would really appreciate the feedback of the most experience players in case I am missing something useful.

Previously I have been playing with this setup: (the character described is just an example)

This works great when I play solo, but I think there must be a way I can really feel like I have access to the information of my character as well as a quick way of updating it without having to erase and write over again.

With this in mind I have come up with the following "character sheet": (I plan to create 16 or 20 of them to manage my "active" survivors)

This "Character Layer" will be on top of the whole "Control Panel" (which I only need 4 of them).

The character details that can be managed in this layer are:

NAME and LAST NAME: I have cut and carved 30 female and 30 male names as well as 6 different last names with sets (families) of 5, I plan to leave the names on a dark bag and take one off each time a new character is born, this way I will not fully manage the sex of it. This survivor is Zoe of the Lantern.

SEX: Between name and Last name a Pink or Blue Cube could be used to indicate the sex of the survivor, of course, you could also use any other color if you think Pink or Blue is too limited, if another color is used, I have an idea how Intimacy will work, but hopefully there is an adoption agency in KDM to bring up a new Survivor. This character is female.

NO REROLL: No reroll available check (Red Cube if already used). The survivor still have its re roll available. Survival of the Fittest is in play.

CANNOT CONSUME: Cannot consume check (Red Cube if you cannot consume). This survivor can consume.

NO INTIMACY: No intimacy check (Red Cube if you cannot intimate). This survivor can intimate.

HUNT XP: Gray Cubes for "normal" XP and Black Cubes for "Age" and "Retired" at the end of the bar there is a check for "SKIP NEXT HUNT" (Red cube to be used). This survivor has 9 Hunt XP, it has passed two Age milestones. Usually the milestone is a bit highlighted, but I realize 1mm it is not enough, this will be improved in the next version. The survivor can participate in the next hunt.

Four small cubes fit in the area before a "bigger" Cube could be used to represent 5 units.

SURVIVAL: Cubes indicating Survival available (Yellow Cubes), the limit could be controlled by using red cubes to cover the Survival that should not be used, but this should be also stated in the settlement sheet)(In the picture I have made a mistake, the first red cube should be only a small one because the settlement limit is 8 but the character only have 5 Survival available)

NO SURVIVAL CHECK: If the survivor cannot use Survival, a small Red Cube should be placed here. The survivor can use Survival.

SURVIVAL TYPE AVAILABLE: Survival available, if something it is not available it will have a Red Cube in it. This survivor has Encourage, Dodge, Surge and Dash available, but only one time per turn.

BRAIN DAMAGE: up to 25 damage units, highlighting from damage 4 that the character is insane. It also include a Pink cube for light injury. This character has 14 insanity.

HEAD: up to 25 armor units, it also include a Red cube for heavy injury. This character has 3 armor units from the White Lion Armor.

HAND: up to 25 armor units, it also include a Pink cube for light and a Red Cube for heavy injury. This character has 3 armor units from the White Lion Armor.

CHEST: up to 25 armor units, it also include a Pink cube for light and a Red Cube for heavy injury. This character has 3 armor units from the White Lion Armor.

WAIST: up to 25 armor units, it also include a Pink cube for light and a Red Cube for heavy injury. This character has 3 armor units from the White Lion Armor.

LEGS: up to 25 armor units, it also include a Pink cube for light and a Red Cube for heavy injury. This character has 3 armor units from the White Lion Armor.

UNDERSTANDING: Gray Cubes for "normal" XP and Black Cubes for "Milestones". This character has 2 understanding units.

COURAGE: Gray Cubes for "normal" XP and Black Cubes for "Milestones". This character has completed all its courage and two milestones.

WEAPON XP: Gray Cubes for "normal" XP and Black Cubes for "Milestones". This survivor has 5 weapon units and has already pass the weapon specialization milestone. This will be identified on a later section.

This section has two areas, to the left of the text, represent negative values and to the right of the text represent positive values, Green Cubes are used for permanent values, Blue Cubes for values added because of the gear and Brown Cubes for values added because of tokens.

MOVEMENT: 10 negatives units as well as 10 positive units. This character has 5 base units.

ACCURACY: 10 negatives units as well as 10 positive units. This character has 3 base units and 1 unit related to a token, for a total of 4.

STRENGTH: 10 negatives units as well as 10 positive units. This character has 5 base units plus 2 units related to gear for a total of 7 strength units.

EVASION: 10 negatives units as well as 10 positive units. This character has a total of one evasion base unit.

LUCK: 10 negatives units as well as 10 positive units. This character has a negative unit of base luck.

SPEED: 10 negatives units as well as 10 positive units. This unit has one speed base unit.

When the character is not used and stays in the settlement, the white, blue and brown cubes should be removed as they are related to the Hunt.

Below you will find the "Character Layer) on top of the "Control Panel"

All the cubes have a N52 Neodymium magnet, which helps to keep it in its place when the "Character Layer" is moved or stored. The "Character Layer" has a "metallic paper" layer within each area where a cube or external piece is required.

From within the "Control Panel" you can take the Gear Grid off as required, this section contains the following:

GEAR GRID: 9 sections to store gear. The gear used by this survivor is displayed in the picture.

FIST & TOOTH: Fist and Tooth details.

CANNOT USE 2+ STRENGTH WEAPONS: Check if no weapons with strength higher than 2+ can be used, a Red Cube will be placed here if the survivor cannot use these weapons.

CANNOT USE TWO HAND WEAPONS: Check if no two hands weapons can be used, a Red Cube will be placed here if the survivor cannot use these weapons.

THREE AFFINITIES SECTION: One section for each color affinities, if more are required, it is possible to "invade" the section of the other affinity. In this example I miss to place a small Red Cube to identify that I have 1 red affinity.

From the left section of the "Control Panel" a section designed to store the Fighting Arts cards can be displayed, this section contains the following:

FIGHTING ARTS: Three sections to place the Fighting Arts (or other cards if required). For this example the survivor has the Tough and Berserker Fighting Arts as well as the Bone Whisperer Special Fighting Art.

CANNOT USE FIGHTING ARTS: A check to identify if Fighting Arts can be used. A Red Cube will be used to identify that no Fighting Arts can be used.

From the lower section of the "Control Panel" a new section can be displayed to identify the disorders or additional cards related tothe survivor, its details are:

CARD STORAGE: 4 card sections to display disorders or other cards like Armor, Weapon Proficiency, etc.

From the top section of the "Control Panel" you can display tokens, abilities, injuries, and additional information related to the survivor, this section contains the following:

STATUS CARD + TOKENS: A Status card can be placed in this section as well as the tokens assigned to it. In this case the status card is Infectious Lunacy from the Butcher, the survivor in display has to tokens assigned to it.

ADDITIONAL TOKENS: Additional tokens if required can be displayed here. In this case an + Accuracy token, which was already reflected in the accuracy indicator with a brown cube, I will not place these tokens here as they are already identified in each section because of the brown cubes.

PRIORITY TOKEN: If the survivor has the priority token assigned, it can be placed here.

BLEEDING TOKENS: Bleeding tokens related to the survivor can be placed here, in this example the survivor has two bleeding tokens.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Additional Information can be displayed here, for example abilities, Weapon Proficiency as well as the Weapon Specialization or Mastery, also Fighting Arts and Disorders. This will help to identify indicators that cannot be "saved" in the "Character Layer", all of this indicators will be taken with the "Character Layer" to storage when then survivor is not in play.

For this I have carved and cut two sets of Core Disorders and two sets of Fighting Arts (I have two core sets), one set of Extensions Disorders and Fighting Arts, I will cut 5 sets of all weapon proficiency, specialization and Mastery, I dont think I will have more than 5 characters with the same proficiency in use. As well as 5 sets of abilities and maybe 7 sets of injuries. I will increse these sets based on experience, but I have limited Disorders and Fighting Arts to a maximum of two of each.

This is how the "Control Panel" look like when the "Character Layer" is taken off it. all sections in the Control Panel can be stored within itself, this way the "Control Panel" only require the storage size of the "Character Layer + 2 cm.

I have done some carving into the sections to give some life to the "Control Panel"

The "Control Panel" and "Character Layer" are made of 9 4mm plywood layers.

If you are reading this, you have survived a very long post, actually my first post on BGG, I thank your time and would really appreciate your feedback if you think I am missing something that I could need in any of the campaigns available at the moment.
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Swiss
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look awesome! Aside from not having the table space for something like that, I personally would rather have numbers than counting cubes for most of the stuff on the character sheet. But to each their own. Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s very impressive work dude. I agree the table space is a lot and would only suit a group that has a lot of space. I’ve recently been doing a lot of solo and have dropped everything jazzy going back to pen and paper.

I do think numbers for stats tho is key. Not cubes. Easier to read especially when all the other stuff is a number like gear cards and dice rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
So what happens when two people get the same FA??

Really cool setup; looks good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchb33 wrote:
So what happens when two people get the same FA??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Zecaida
Austria
flag msg tools
Thanks for your feedback, I think I was so focus on the “Cubes” idea that I did not realize I could make a mix of laminated paper and this.

I think that I will do a different version, smaller and maybe a bit thicker that will accomodate a laminated character sheet.

Will also do an improved version of this based on possible more feedback and have two versions to decide, one with cubes and one with paper.

I hope I get more feedback in the following days, anyway a new version will take me some time.

Thanks,

Ps. About the FA, to manage that with the “cubes” version I guess it will be enought to have the FA indicator on the top section of the “Control Panel”. Check the pictures, there are small tokens to identify the FA of the survivors, I plan to print 5 sets of FA tokens, but you are right it could always be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Kewl. On names: have you considered the settlement event that grants name suffixes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
United States
Northern SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am too new of a player to understand if something is missing. If you start selling them I’ll be buying four of them. If you do sell them it would be good to ensure they will fit a sleeved cards.

Great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, they take up way too much space. Some interesting ideas though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cameron knotek
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb

Very impressed. I am not experienced enough to give much feedback, but a video outlining how it functions would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Zecaida
Austria
flag msg tools

Hi, a few comments about your feedback:

Names Settlement Event: I did not considered it, but I dont think I will, it does not really change that much and will required a large area to implement, but this could be covered in the laminated paper version I have in mind. Thanks for your feedback.

Sleeved Cards: At the moment, this prototype has enough space for sleeved cards with Mage products, and still have a few centimeters free, which I plan to give a better use and avoid, but in general the final version will have enough space for sleeved cards.

Too much space: Thanks for your feedback, this is right, it is too much space, I am thinking about a smaller version that will be a mix of this and laminated paper, but it will still be a big space footprint.

Video: Once I have a final version I will create a video to give more details about it, this will take some time, maybe a couple of months.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André
Denmark
flag msg tools
It seems overly complex for something that should replace a double-sided A5 paper, non-permanent marker and a sleeve.

Otherwise the craftsmanship look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.