GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,481 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

878: Vikings – Invasions of England» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some Rules Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate
United States
Dayton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked this game up and had a few questions about the game. Hope some of you more experienced 878 players can provide guidance!

1) I have a few questions about Module 1 of the expansion:

a) The rules are clear that only one settlement can be created on the Norsemen's turn. However, it seems like at the end of either Viking player's turn you can create any number of forts as long as two viking units are discarded and no shire has more than one fort. Is that correct?

b) When a pillaged church token is given it says to give it to an English player. So is that player the only one who can play the pillage token to get another Fyrd card and if so do they have to have at least one unit in the defending shire in order to use it? Or, are the pillage tokens essentially available to either English player whenever they want to use it?

c) The rules say that the pillaged church token can be used for ANY battle to draw an additional Fyrd card. So can the English use the church token when they are the aggressor/attacking as well, or must the use of the pillage token still follow the rule that Fyrd cards can only be used when the English are defending?

2). For the Legends expansion, the rulebook gives an example of how the tokens on Viking legend cards count toward their win condition of 14. Even though it's not mentioned in the rules, I'm assuming these tokens also count toward their win condition of 9 if the treaty kicks in?

3) If Ragnar Lodbrock (expansion module 9; during first English battle dice roll all command die results are counted as flees) is present and the Foul Weather event card is revealed (command results are not used but are instead saved and each one can block one hit on the opponents' next battle dice roll) how is this resolved? Since the English die results are counted as flees it seems like they would NOT be saved during their first battle dice roll to soak up hits during the next Viking battle dice roll?

4) When invading with a Viking leader, since coming ashore counts as one movement I'm assuming that Viking soldiers can be dropped off on that initial shire but cannot be moved again that turn since they were present with the leader when he/she invaded and that step is counted as one movement?

5) The rules mention that event cards can be mixed and matched as long as there are only 5 total. Most of the 13 - 19 event cards are the same as the 8 - 12 event cards. So if I wanted to, I could put two of the same card in a faction deck?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) I believe so.

b) I thought it was available for both english players.

c) it can be used at any time, when attacking or when defending in a shire with or without a City.

2) see 6.4 Victory in the expansion rulebook.

3) not sure about this one. Can see this go either way.

4) Correct

5) Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Dayton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, appreciate the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.