GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,933 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Hive» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mayfly and jumping spider rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Shoffstall
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible that these ideas have been thought of before hand. But nonetheless, I have been thinking about these two pieces as possible variants. These are my first variant pieces. whistle

One- Jumping spider. The Jumping Spider moves only three spaces in one direction much like the normal spider. After making this movement, place a token on it. The next time the piece will move, it must jump in a line like the grasshopper. Remove the token, the next move will be like spider mentioned above. Mosquito copies whatever the next move type is.

Two- Mayfly. The piece starts off as a larvae. It moves like the original idea for the pill bug. It craws up one, and then down one. Once during the game, the larvae grows wings and can fly to any point on the board. Then it dies. The piece can no longer be moved but it still counts as a piece that could surround the Q. Mosquito can only copy larva form. The pill bug can move both larva and dead mayfly forms. The thought I am playing around with is putting a limit to how many times it can move as a larvae before having to make the transformation to the mayfly movement. I would rather name the piece after a caterpillar and butterfly, but the mayfly fits the theme better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for contributing! I quite enjoy reading a fellow fan’s ideas. Some feedback:

- I do like combo movement ideas. I’ve seen them a few times before in either sequenial turns (through flipping) or the same turn. I do wonder what goal we should seek with combo ideas though... What makes your Jumping Spider stand out?

- I prefer that Hive’s components stay in the elegant form of only hex pieces. Instead of a marker, make a double-sided piece.

- I don’t like memory elements. I like when you can tell everything simply by looking at the board. I already think the stunning of the P is an unfortunate exception. Hence, I especially don’t like the Mayfly counting. Perhaps the piece starts atop the Hive, can move atop the Hive, but then dies as soon as moving down? Now, you don’t even need a marker, two sides, or counting.

- MOST IMPORTANTLY, PLAYTEST! Let us know what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.