GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be an Absolute Victory table at CSW Expo 2018 in Tempe starting tomorrow. Anyone there want to post some pics/updates/comments/questions?

http://expo.consimworld.com/game-sign-ups/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it being set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear/see anything about how this game goes. Can't offer much, but I'll give geekgold as a reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
There will be an Absolute Victory table at CSW Expo 2018 in Tempe starting tomorrow. Anyone there want to post some pics/updates/comments/questions?

http://expo.consimworld.com/game-sign-ups/

Not from CSWExpo but heres a couple pics of scenario 10 (1942). SteveCon West Dover VT. Memorial Day weekend 2018

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Not from CSWExpo but heres a couple pics of scenario 10 (1942). SteveCon West Dover VT. Memorial Day weekend 2018

I was going to say there's way too many trees out that window to be Tempe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
billyboy wrote:

I was going to say there's way too many trees out that window to be Tempe.

you'd be surprised what you see at resorts...whistle
just back from Key West and they had the most lush lawns, golf course keepers would cry. And that was on top of coral and sand with temps running in the 90's while i was there, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cfinchjr2 wrote:
you'd be surprised what you see at resorts...whistle
just back from Key West and they had the most lush lawns, golf course keepers would cry. And that was on top of coral and sand with temps running in the 90's while i was there, so...

True enough -- the GOP here in Wisconsin has talked about building a Soviet-sized pipeline from Lake Michigan to suck all the water down to Arizona (avoiding the hippie parts of New Mexico I'm sure!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
make it a half pipe and rent rafts, be an interesting trip to AZ ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mills
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were actually two games played in Tempe - I was the Axis in one. Both games wrapped up prematurely due to unviable Axis situation - in my game this was in 1942, and I believe the other game didn't make it far into 1941.

I've been kicking myself for not taking more pictures, all I have is the initial setup which doesn't seem worth posting.

This was my first real time with the game (I'd played the China scenario solo beforehand just to get a feel for most of the rules), and I'm not sure how representative our experience was, and how much was due to my poor play. The biggest issue that led to the later German near-collapse was that taking France took far longer than it seemed it should. Which I put down almost entirely to the absence of any stacking limits; once Germany got across the border, France concentrated a large percentage of their army in Paris, which led to several turns of attrition battles there. It was almost the end of 1940 before Vichy was declared, which left very little time for the other pre-Barbarossa moves (mainly the conquest of Yugoslavia, but fatally also meant I never got to take out Greece, which then went Allied due to an event and came back to haunt me).

Barbarossa went fairly well, and for a brief moment I had hopes of being able to overcome the poor start; but then several factors combined to doom Germany:

Norway had gone Allied very early, and as I was tied up in France I'd not done anything about it. Britain now sent significant ground forces there, and the land crossing from there into Denmark meant I had to permanently station more troops there than I could spare. (This is definitely a house rule I'd try next time, do away with that crossing).

Britain also sent troops, a lot more of them, into Greece, and from there constantly attacked Ploesti. I couldn't ignore this, as I needed the oil and anyway couldn't afford a large British army in my rear, so more of my waning available army had to be sent to Rumania.

And finally, and the coup de grace, Spain went Allied (my fault - it was an event with a 50% chance either way, which I chose to try rather than ignoring), which gave Britain a third front to threaten me from.

In the meantime the Russian Winter event was absolutely murderous on the East Front - by the end of the actual Winter German forces in Russia had almost been wiped out, and the Allied player still had two of the events stockpiled to use (the rules don't actually restrict when these can be played, so theoretically it could have carried on blizzarding into the summer). I conceded roughly at this point - either 2 or 3 turns into 1942.

(I believe the other German player conceded after he misremembered the Vichy rules, and took a French city other than Paris, which immediately took Vichy off the table; so he ended up with a huge French army built up in North Africa which wiped out the Italians and was waiting for an opening; in addition he, even more than me, had lost a lot of planes taking out France (Britain sending the BEF to France seems more or less essential so that the RAF can join in the air war - combined with the French airforce they significantly outnumber the Luftwaffe) and couldn't rebuild fast enough to be competitive.)

Overall I enjoyed it a lot, but not quite as much as I had expected. Some niggles (initial German airforce seems too small, battle for France too attritional, production too rigid and minimalistic, Russian winter too harsh) but most of those could just be because I was losing... The events are largely fun, but do make the diplomatic side of the game seem completely random and outside your control. A lot of them are more tedious than seems sensible - a huge number of them involve choosing a unit in one of the tropical weather zones to flip or destroy due to disease.

But I would like to play again sometime to see how different choices (or sequence of events) would play out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjmills wrote:

In the meantime the Russian Winter event was absolutely murderous on the East Front - by the end of the actual Winter German forces in Russia had almost been wiped out, and the Allied player still had two of the events stockpiled to use (the rules don't actually restrict when these can be played, so theoretically it could have carried on blizzarding into the summer).

Love the write up, but I do want to make one minor correction. If I am reading the rules right, you can only play the Russian Winter event when the weather is snow or blizzard. This only happens for 3 of the 6 sets of months (and MA is only 1 out of 6 chance), so you get at least half the year when you are safe from this and maybe more. Given that the Germans literally didn't have antifreeze that worked this seems like a pretty good ratio to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mills
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction - we definitely missed that (not that it made a difference in our game, pretty sure the weather was at least snow every time it was used). Good to know for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.