GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: New character - starting level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Gates
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Curious...

Does starting a new character at the level of Gloomhaven's prosperity level three character too quickly? Or do you not give yourself a chance to ever get someone to level 9 if you keep starting at level 1.

That was my original plan--to start new characters at level 1. Maybe even house rule that. But it seems my brother may be retiring his first character already at level 2!

I also don't want to get to a point where new characters are always being created at super high levels.

Any feedback on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible, but it's quite rare for a character to go all the way from level 1 to level 9 without retiring (unless you're deliberately postponing retirement by not fulfilling its requirements.) If you really go for it, you can almost always retire a character within 3-4 levels at most.

So you can choose. When you get a new character, you can start them at level 1 and play the early levels and retire before getting to level 9, or you can start them at level 1 and drag on retirement until level 9, or you can start them at high level (and have a better chance at getting them to 9 while still going for your retirement goal)

For reference, I retired my first level 1 character at level 4, my new level 2 or 3 (don't remember) character also at level 4, and my new level 3 character at level 5. Now I'm making a level 4 character to start. But I'm pretty aggressive about going for my retirement goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sajuro
United States
yucaipa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hi
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That was my original plan--to start new characters at level 1. Maybe even house rule that.

You can start the new character any level up to your Gloomhaven prosperity level.

Just depends if your enjoying the character level them up if you don't like the character retire them as quick as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mb
Once prosperity was high enough what I did was start them a bit below our prosperity level. Currently at prosperity 8 (about to be finished) and I am starting characters at 6.

You can be flexible it doesn't have to be level 1 or highest level, you can go in between. As others have said normally you'll get 3-5 levels before retiring, so 1 to 9 is a bit hard to do without delaying retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has decided that the maximum starting level is 5. That gives a player the option of attempting the solo scenario with different builds (effectively rerolling until they find a build that "works" for them and/or they understand the class.

My wife prefers to start at level one and another player "farms" the solo scenario, while I start at the lowest level the character feels playable at.

ftl_ftw wrote:
It's possible, but it's quite rare for a character to go all the way from level 1 to level 9 without retiring (unless you're deliberately postponing retirement by not fulfilling its requirements.) If you really go for it, you can almost always retire a character within 3-4 levels at most.

Disagree. It's very YYMV. It depends on the group you play with, who decides on what scenarios you take, how open you are with information regarding life goals, if you use casual mode and at what game state your campaign is.

My wife ran two classes from 1-10 because she wasn't able to retire them. She's the reason we added the "Sick and Tired" house rule.

The region based scenarios in specific are hard to pull off easily, unless you're the one deciding what scenarios are played and your group is okay with playing in casual mode.

I strongly suggest (especially if a group isn't using S&T), to have the player who's been playing their character the longest act as a "party leader" and select what scenarios to play. That way, the person most likely having problems fulfilling their life goal will also have the best tools in hand to pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmb
We're planning to start all new characters at Level 1 at the moment. As a group of 3, we are all around Levels 3-5 and none of us are very near completing personal quests for our first characters. I'd like to fully experience each character before moving on so would like to go all the way to level 9 before retiring (particularly since we keep all higher level cards 'locked' and unknown until we have enough XP to access them). I find the gradual building of the character to be a big part of the fun so wouldn't want to 'shortcut' that by starting at a higher level with a quick perk/level-up race-through.

Not sure about the 'sick and tired' rule. Seems eminently sensible but I can't see that I would get sick and tired of any of the starting classes so it would have to be a pretty bad unlock for me to want to do this.

The problems with wanting to go all the way to level 9 each time are:

1) Will we complete the game before unlocking all the characters?

2) I like to think that we choose scenarios based on what our characters 'would do' and it would seem contrary to that to 'avoid' a scenario that would assist with a personal quest just because it would retire a character that we didn't want to retire yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eldur
msg tools
DeS_Tructive wrote:
It's very YYMV. It depends on the group you play with, who decides on what scenarios you take, how open you are with information regarding life goals ...

This. We also had one player who had a hard time retiring. We could never find more of the right kind of monster w/o replaying in casual mode. We did eventually do it with a combo of casual replays and luck with new scenarios.

My group did a variety of things. Personally I also took into account the Solo Scenarios when choosing a starting level. Since they are hard I like to play them on an even level boundary (eg 6, 8). But I started one character around level 4 to get a feel for the class before having to choose the level 5 & 6 cards. This may depend on the specific class - there may be cards you are especially attracted to before even playing the class.

Once we had a subset of our group play a completely "off the books" scenario with everyone at level 1 so the player could get a feel for their hard-to-play-well character (looking at you, Circles).

At least several times we had players start nominally at level 6, but play a few scenarios with only level 1-4 cards until they got a feel for the character. We also had players who were happy to choose cards up to level 7 without prior experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madmullet wrote:

Not sure about the 'sick and tired' rule. Seems eminently sensible but I can't see that I would get sick and tired of any of the starting classes so it would have to be a pretty bad unlock for me to want to do this.

Wait til you're stomping everything at +2 difficulty with a fully kitted out character. It's fun, but gets pretty repetetive, especially when one character is doing "everything" and the rest are technically delegated to support roles.

Our version of S&T is that you can retire your class once you would hit the theoretical level 10. It's handled like a duplicate unlock, with the life goal going back to the pool.

Quote:
The problems with wanting to go all the way to level 9 each time are:

1) Will we complete the game before unlocking all the characters?

In both campaigns I was a part of, which saw roughly half of the scenarios being played by two players, two classes (circles/lightning and cthuhlu/note) were locked at the end, although note was very close to being unlocked in the 2nd camp.

This might be different for more players, since you have better odds of a) drawing all relevant life goals, b) retiring quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Wait til you're stomping everything at +2 difficulty with a fully kitted out character. It's fun, but gets pretty repetetive, especially when one character is doing "everything" and the rest are technically delegated to support roles.

Our version of S&T is that you can retire your class once you would hit the theoretical level 10. It's handled like a duplicate unlock, with the life goal going back to the pool.

I totally get this. Once there are no more unseen cards to unlock at level 9, I can see that you wouldn't want to play on with the same character. Like I say, the fun is the character-development so once you hit that 'roof' then the S&T rule makes sense. I like your 'hitting theoretical level 10' ruling.

DeS_Tructive wrote:
In both campaigns I was a part of, which saw roughly half of the scenarios being played by two players, two classes (circles/lightning and cthuhlu/note) were locked at the end, although note was very close to being unlocked in the 2nd camp.

This might be different for more players, since you have better odds of a) drawing all relevant life goals, b) retiring quicker.

That's helpful to know. Since we are only on our first three personal goals (and don't recall the ones we didn't select), I don't know how difficult ours are relative to the rest of the cards we could have picked. On a non-spoiler difficulty scale compared to other life-goals, how difficult would you say the following are:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1) killing 15 vermlings
2) 4 Gloomhaven scenarios followed by side-scenario
3) Exhausting 12(or is it 15?) times

I also wonder whether we will be slow to unlock all the characters because two of these unlock lightning bolt and the 3rd does the envelope so we have one new character for the three of us (plus the one we should get from reputation soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madmullet wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1) killing 15 vermlings
2) 4 Gloomhaven scenarios followed by side-scenario
3) Exhausting 12(or is it 15?) times

1) easy

2) This one depends a lot on two major decisions you make early on. Some decisions unlock a lot more scenarios in Gloomhaven than others. Not an issue if you're willing to go casual.

3) Very dependant on how you go about it. It's really easy to exhaust near the end of a scenario without causing it to fail, especially if your teammates realize what you're trying to do. You should be able to make progress on almost every scenario attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.