GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,855 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Railways of the World» Forums » Rules

Subject: losing bid in auction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I bid in the auction, but lose the bid, do I still have to take out a loan(s) to satisfy my bid? Thank you - Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nope, only the winning bidder has to pay up

... that's according to the official rules anyway. It seems many have their own house rules when it comes to bidding (see other threads).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
nickjhay wrote:
nope, only the winning bidder has to pay up

...and the reason is that it is no Winsome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the (seemingly popular) variant that makes 1st AND 2nd pay up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the variant.

Base rules: Only winner pays. Many find this problematic if you have certain players who are aggressive bidders for turn order; sitting to their left becomes a natural advantage. Paying nothing to go second almost every turn is a VERY good deal.

Variant 1: Like the base rules, except 2nd place gets $1,000 up through $5,000 for 6th place on Round 1.

Variant 2: In the turn order from the previous turn, on your turn, bid or pass. When you pass, you go to the last available slot in turn order. So with 5 people, if you pass first, you go 5th in turn order. When you pass, pay half your bid, rounded UP. The winner of first place pays FULL price.

There's also a specific bidding variant in the Railways Through Time expansion rules where it's half your bid rounded DOWN, or full price for first place.

I have pushed my group to use Variant 2 as it's the most strategically interesting, and it fixes the "aggressive bidder" seating problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
Depends on the variant.

Base rules: Only winner pays. Many find this problematic if you have certain players who are aggressive bidders for turn order; sitting to their left becomes a natural advantage. Paying nothing to go second almost every turn is a VERY good deal.

Variant 1: Like the base rules, except 2nd place gets $1,000 up through $5,000 for 6th place on Round 1.

Variant 2: In the turn order from the previous turn, on your turn, bid or pass. When you pass, you go to the last available slot in turn order. So with 5 people, if you pass first, you go 5th in turn order. When you pass, pay half your bid, rounded UP. The winner of first place pays FULL price.

There's also a specific bidding variant in the Railways Through Time expansion rules where it's half your bid rounded DOWN, or full price for first place.

I have pushed my group to use Variant 2 as it's the most strategically interesting, and it fixes the "aggressive bidder" seating problem.
We've used variant #2 (there is a name for it somewhere, can't recall it) for just about every game out there where bidding and turn order are involved. Haven't yet seen anything better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.