GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,127 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Concordia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it possible to have no consuls, no senators, and no tribunes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan B
msg tools
A similar question was asked earlier about running out of cards - but I would like to ask the question a different way... Is it possible in a single play to have no consuls, senators or tribunes available ? In this scenario a player will run out of cards and be unable to purchase any others... How does the game continue and/or end?

To clarify, I think this is possible, and I dont see this accounted for in the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juralano wrote:
A similar question was asked earlier about running out of cards - but I would like to ask the question a different way... Is it possible in a single play to have no consuls, senators or tribunes available ? In this scenario a player will run out of cards and be unable to purchase any others... How does the game continue and/or end?

Of course it is not possible. Each player has only one tribune (so talking about a player not having plural "tribunes" is odd), and when you play your tribune, you get all your cards back into your hand.

juralano wrote:
To clarify, I think this is possible, and I dont see this accounted for in the rules...

Why do you think it's possible or not accounted for in the rules? Did you read what the rules say that Tribune does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juralano wrote:

Utterly impossible, even if you play like a complete knob. That's why such a situation isn't mentioned in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan B
msg tools
What if a Tribune isnt dealt to any of the players ?

Based on the responses I guess every player gets one automatically? It doesnt really say that in the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juralano wrote:
What if a Tribune isnt dealt to any of the players ?

Um... have you actually read the rules or played the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone starts with the same set of 7 cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan B
msg tools
joepunman wrote:

Ahhhhhh. I wish that was a little more specific "Every player takes the 7 personality cards in their color" or some such. It doesnt say shuffle or random but that's what we did. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juralano wrote:
Ahhhhhh. I wish that was a little more specific "Every player takes the 7 personality cards in their color" or some such. It doesnt say shuffle or random but that's what we did. Oh well.

Why in the world would the starting cards have player colors on their backs if they're not player-specific, but were meant to be all shuffled together and randomly dealt out?

FWIW the setup guide says "They take the 15 wooden houses of their color into their supply and their 7 starting cards into their hand."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
juralano wrote:
joepunman wrote:

Stop drinking BEFORE games. Drink freely during the games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
juralano wrote:
joepunman wrote:

Stop drinking BEFORE games. Drink freely during the games

Or better yet, just don't be a $%#.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You whiffed and you whiffed hard. Don't let it get you down -- happens to everybody. And don't worry about any snarky comments you get. Just smother this thread with a pillow and forget about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
juralano wrote:
Is it possible in a single play to have no consuls, senators or tribunes available ? In this scenario a player will run out of cards and be unable to purchase any others.

The best way around this tricky situation would be to trade for someone else's unwanted Consul/Senator card. An offer of two of your boats should be enough for a Consul. But if no-one bites, throw in a brick too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing I'm wondering after this interesting misinterpretation of the rules is:

How did it play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidric Torres
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Highland Cow wrote:
juralano wrote:
Is it possible in a single play to have no consuls, senators or tribunes available ? In this scenario a player will run out of cards and be unable to purchase any others.

The best way around this tricky situation would be to trade for someone else's unwanted Consul/Senator card. An offer of two of your boats should be enough for a Consul. But if no-one bites, throw in a brick too.

You could also:
Wait for the "Visit from Augustus" event card
Roll a 11 or 12 for a free card when using the Gambler
Use a Gladiator to take an opponents last card -- you can choose another Consul/Senator as a reward for elimination

Edit: Yes, this is in jest. Agree with randomcamel below, I have definitely made my fair share of rule mistakes. I remember playing the original Pandemic and accidentally shuffling after doing the 4 deck-split. Made for a very boring game, until 3 Epidemics came in 3 turns and it was game over. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leila
United States
Auburn
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sidjmt wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
juralano wrote:

You could also:
Wait for the "Visit from Augustus" event card
Roll a 11 or 12 for a free card when using the Gambler
Use a Gladiator to take an opponents last card -- you can choose another Consul/Senator as a reward for elimination

Play nice, guys.

And to the OP: Everyone, including the jokers above, have played a game wrong the first time, or even the first 10 times. So leave this thread and go play it again, because it's a really good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A trick I use when playing games is to reread the rules after the first play. I also browse the forums for a FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leila
United States
Auburn
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
A trick I use when playing games is to reread the rules after the first play. I also browse the forums for a FAQ.

This is a great tip. Just last week I did this and found a couple of little things we did wrong the first time we played with the Village Port expansion - I'm so glad I caught these before teaching it at the meetup.
I also like to check and see whether there's a discussion of commonly missed/misunderstood rules - even when I discover I haven't missed any of them, I don't feel like I've wasted my time because making sure gives me peace of mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And even when you know the rules well, reading the rules forum is also useful for seeing what the common confusions for some other people are, so that if you teach the game, you can be sure to verify that the new players understand those issues correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kadish
msg tools
1qwerty wrote:

I use the trick of playing the game wrong the first time and looking up all my mistakes afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You can't run out of cards because everyone always has one tribune card which returns every card, including tribune itself to the hand, and gives you money.

So it is impossible to run out of resources to buy cards and to have no cards in hand, because even if you tried your hardest, your last card would be tribune, which would mean every one of your cards is now in your hand.

If you do not play tribune last and try to starve yourself of resources, opponents will possibly play a prefect that benefits you. Of course you could try to never play prefect or merchant and always play tribune that will not give you any coins: If you play tribune every turn. So it is possible to intentionally starve yourself of resources, but it is impossible to put yourself in a situation in which you could never be able to get more resources.

So, you can play badly, but you will always be able to get more resources and thus more cards, and it is impossible to have 0 cards to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
You're really late to the party... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.