GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Reef» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game ending - running out of cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say, "In rare cases, the game also ends immediately if the card deck runs out." Does this mean when the last card is taken from the "draw deck" (marked by the J on Page 2), or when the last card in all is taken, including the three cards in the "card display (marked by the K on Page 2)? In other words, is the "card deck" synonymous with the "draw deck" or the complete deck of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Tennenhouse
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know conclusively, but the spirit of the rule appears to be "when there are no cards left to pick up".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Emerson. Can you clarify for us this rare endgame condition?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Emerson. Can you clarify for us this rare endgame condition?

Thanks!

Certainly. The game will end immediately when the card deck runs out. That can happen when a player takes a card from the row of cards and replaced with the very last card of the deck or takes the last card of the deck directly (if so, they must sill place a point token on one of the remaining cards). Hope that helps.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Emerson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. It's not what I thought, and I appreciate the ability to come here for such answers. I owe Quinn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest that when you reprint the game that you change the wording to say that the game ends immediately "when the draw deck runs out" to be consistent with your use of that term elsewhere in the instructions. That would clarify your intent for future players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This actually happened in our game and we played it that the game would end when the deck and the 3 in the row were all gone. To us this made sense because then there were no cards to draw. I wonder how much that would change things. Also, are we allowed to count the deck to see how close we are to the end? I wouldn't think this should be a surprise, supporting the alternate method to end the game when all cards are used up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.