13 Posts

Zombicide: Green Horde – Friends and Foes» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Friends and Foes Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friends and Foes comes with a lot more different stuff than the other recent Zombicide expansion No Rest for the Wicked.

You get
-4 new survivors (No dashboards or coloured bases though)
-6 new animal companions
-5 new tiles
-10 new quests
-A small selection of new items
-A bunch of tainted orc zombies and a tainted abomination

Let's start with our new heroes. We have
Doran- A very stock standard mage. He can hold one of the new spells, Power Wave from the expansion in his body slot which is nice. Otherwise he will play very similarly to Baldric.

Solveig- A viking warrior. She is very similar to Hyld from the Stretch goals and I prefer Hyld's pose so I doubt I will use her much.

Kabral- Finally an orc survivor for Green Horde. Well a half orc. I am not sure why he is brown either. He is similar to Asim from the base game with having shove and taunt as skill options. With barbarian at orange he makes for a decent melee fighter. I really like the model, he looks very capable of killing zombies.

Katelyn- A rogue fighter she may not look like much until you see she starts with Brother in Arms: +1 die combat. That means all survivors on her zone get an extra dice when doing any sort of attack. If another survivor is in her zone Katelyn gets the bonus as well. That is really strong as long as you stick together! Move over +1 damage this may now be the strongest ability!

So from the heroes. 3 will really not play any differently to the survivors you already have and Katelyn makes for a terrific support. I would not be too keen to get the expansion just for the heroes and the fact they don't get any new coloured bases, pegs or dashboards is a little disappointing.

Next up animal companions

There are 3 animals with 2 identical sculpts of each. Except they are a slightly different colour. I think their names are really weird and I don't like them much at all unfortunately. The animal companions have a whole bunch of rules and it is a little overwhelming to use them at first. Basically they follow you around and occasionally help out with additional searches or adding extra dice to your attacks in combat or even being able to see over hedges and around corners. They do all this while sitting in your inventory so they are really all upsides and no downsides. Not to mention you can have multiple of them to give your survivor a huge number of dice in combat and you can sacrifice them to the zombies if need be. Although what sort of monster would purposefully sacrifice their animal friend to the zombies?

Overall i think these guys are very strong. I don't like the idea that you can start the game with them either so I have been shuffling them into the equipment deck which makes it a bit fairer on the zombies.

Next new tiles

There are five new double sided tiles which focus on waterholes and hedges. The new quests all use these tiles so that works well. If you have Black Plague and Green Horde and Wulfsburg like I do I already have so many tiles that I don't really need these even though they are pretty and have new map configurations. Unfortunately playing zombicide on a massive map does not work all that well so they mainly just provide a little extra variety.

New quests
-I have played through five of the new quests and won 4 and lost 1. They are pretty similar to the other quests. Find some objectives or escape etc. Their difficulty can vary greatly. For instance last night we had to find the green or blue objective out of 8 objectives and we found it on the first go so that made the scenario much easier. On a different quest a dragon landed on the building with the objective and thus we lost the game a couple of turns in.

Tainted Zombies
-These guys are a very bright green which looks cool. You can easily imagine they are acidic or radioactive or something. They are also very spiky.
-If you kill them in melee they spurt toxic blood all over you so killing them from ranged is a must. As they are standard walkers they are pretty easy to hit from ranged so they don't usually pose a huge threat. They also don't extra activate but they do get added to the horde. They would be much more dangerous if they were lower on the targeting priority. One problem you can have with them is if Inquisitor Innsmouth from the stretch goals appears as he has a shroud of darkness so ranged attacks won't work on his zone.
-One thing that is a little odd is that the tainted zombies only spurt blood onto the survivor who kills them. So if you are standing next to one and a different survivor hits them with a spell or arrow then you don't have to worry about the toxic blood spray.
-There is also a gas mask item which makes you immune to the blood spray which is a nice touch.
-There is also a tainted abomination but he is not really more threatening than a normal abomination as you usually kill abominations from range with dragon fire or vampire crossbow anyway. He also looks a bit like a goat for some reason.

Overall I like the variety Friends and Foes comes with.
-Tainted walkers are great but usually not very hard to beat. They do put more emphasis on ranged attacks.
-New heroes are generally more of the same great stuff but not really needed
-Animal companions are all upsides and no downsides
-New tiles work well with new quests but otherwise are a bit excessive
-New quests are similar but different enough that you feel like you are doing something a bit different

Should you buy Friends and Foes?
-If you love Zombicide then you will love Friends and Foes
-If you want more variety in your games then Friends and Foes is good
-If you want your games to be easier then Friends and Foes is good
-If you are not planning on playing Zombicide a lot then there is more than enough in the base set to keep you going for some time.

Friends and Foes or No Rest for the Wicked?
-If you can't get both then consider do you want to have a tougher time facing harder enemies or an easier time with more allies and weapons.
-Friends and Foes also has more quests if you don't want to make up your own scenarios but you also don't want to keep replaying the same scenarios.

Can you play Friends and Foes with just Black Plague?
You can play all the new heroes, animal companions and weapons in black plague very easily. I believe some of the quests do use tiles from Green Horde though.

The tainted walkers can also be played with Black Plague but they do use the Horde rules which are obviously not a Black Plague mechanic. However the horde rules are explained in the friends and foes rule book and you do get a couple of "Enter the Horde" cards. I think having just tainted walkers in the horde would be a little weird though?

Also note as there are no additional dashboards or colours you may have a harder time playing with more than 6 survivors if you don't have the Wulfsburg expansion.

If you have just Black Plague and are thinking of adding an expansion I would go for No Rest for the Wicked before Friends and Foes. If you have Green Horde I would get Friends and Foes before No Rest for the Wicked. Or just accept that you are obsessed with killing zombies and buy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good review, but I'm confused. You seem pretty down on the inclusion of new tiles, but aren't these new tiles required for the included quests? If including new quests is a plus, I don't see how including new tiles for those quests is a minus.

Otherwise, I love the detail you put into your reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is true that the tiles are required for the quests but if they had made the quests using the old tiles but the same quest ideas and made the expansion a little cheaper it might have been a better deal.

Don't get me wrong. i really like the tiles. They are well designed and provide some interesting differences in the layout to previous tiles it is just I have 50 tiles now and only need 4-9 at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this review. I wondered why they included 'toxic' zombies, when close combat weapons are already under-used. However, more variety is always good!

I am really looking forwards to using the familiars, though - but I won't be buying this until it comes out at retail, which will be around £30, rather than the current £60 - £140 I currently see on e-bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not like the design of the quests; and they do not feel as well developed as the original Black Plague ones.
As mentioned, some of them (actually most of them) rely on finding hidden objectives, which mean that a game may end too soon as you can find the required objectives in the closest buildings.

I believe that their intention was to shorten the play time, but the new quests just feel lackluster and anticlimactic.

Also, the quests' difficulty is not adjusted for the expansion's new content, and if you include familiars the games are just too easy.

If you start with all familiars (as suggested in the rulebook) the survivors have access to the following:
A combined 10 Search actions per round
Starting anti-fatties weapons
Higher and less-restricted range

Also, the familiars play like remote controlled search and destroy weapons, and can employ a true hit & run tactic: they can spend the first action to reach their target (at very high speed), avoiding lesser zombies (thanks to Slippery), they hit very hard (the dog with 3 attacks, and the cat with 2 very accurate ones), and can finally evade danger (thanks again to the combination of high speed and Slippery).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakizashi 13
msg tools
Thank you for the review.
Any comments or thoughts on the new item cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wakizashi13 wrote:
Thank you for the review.
Any comments or thoughts on the new item cards?

Myself I am a bit disappointed from the additional weapons (w/o pets):

There is not a single powerful weapon or spell (compared to what you’ve got in the Wulfsburg expansion).
This means adding all these to the item stack of the base game will actually dilute it and making it more difficult for you getting dragon bile.

Are the additional weapons from the “No rest for the wicked” expansion more powerful?
Can someone please post a scan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
It is true that the tiles are required for the quests but if they had made the quests using the old tiles but the same quest ideas and made the expansion a little cheaper it might have been a better deal.

The new tiles and according quests were the main selling point for me.
However they are only kind of more of the same (compared to Wulfsburg tiles which offered the unique twist with elevated areas).
I wish there was also some new twist on them, like being in a dungeon and you need a torch (equipment card) to extend your line of sight in the dark.
Missed opportunity for CMON being innovative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am happy that the new items are not too powerful. The Wulfsburg weapons can make the game a bit easy if you get them. Often at the end of the game everyone is just wandering around obliterating every zombie using a Wulfsburg weapon and red level abilities. In some ways I think the Wulfsburg weapons should only be used at low levels and can't be used at orange/red level.

The Heavy Dagger is nice for lending a bit more weight to Great Weapons!

The Heavy Sword is the same as the Bastard Sword except becomes powered up with the heavy dagger IF you can find both.

The Mace is not bad for a back up for a mage when they need to just kill off a single zombie without magic.

Power wave is also nice to boost your other spells just a little bit. It is weird though that Power wave itself has 2 dice though so often you won't combine it with anything as Mana Blast only has 1 dice anyway.

The Horn Bow is very strong when you compare it to the crossbow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spite a dislike of zombies I went and bought Black Plaque.
My youngest is amused by this horror stuff and I like the mediëval theme, so ....

Of course the miniatures did not influence my dicission at all...whistle

It will amaze you that so far we've not even played the game.
wow

Well you know how these things go, you see a game which you think might be great and buy it, while you've still got stacks of unplayeds awaiting your attention.

As I've been known to be late to a party and ended up not being able to get all the stuff for a game I jumped in head over heals into this one and collected all that I wanted.

Got Wulfsburg, all the monsters, even got the doors, but drew the line at all these special artist creatures.

So now I've been looking at Green Horde for some time now.
Apparently you can use it with BP, but also it is a totaly different game. So I'm still on the fence.
Buying this one will no doubt mean loads of extra stuff to buy aswell and do I need more zombie stuff.

So far I've managed to not give into it, assuming it just will be more of the same, just a bit different.

But now I have to find out that these, what I assumed to be, Green Horde expansions, can also be used with Black Plague.

Of course that arroused my interest.

I'm a bit worried about this stuff conflicting with the mediëval theme that make BP interesting to me.
I mean green toxic waste type monsters? Sounds far from mediëval and I wonder it if fits into the barbarians and orcs theme of GH.

Also noticed that some of the new tiles have the GH hedges on them.
Do the rules tell you how to deal with hedges?

I've seen pictures of 3D hedges, I've got doors so I'll want hedges.
Is there some expansion which will give you the hedges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Tainted Orc Zombies are definitely not a standard medieval stereotype but they I think they fit in with the theme. They are not affected by toxic waste but have tainted acidic blood which burns on contact.

Hedges are pretty straight forward. You can move through them but not see through them. When you move through them if you don't have Line of sight to the other side of the hedge then roll a dice and on a 1 a zombie appears.

In the kickstarter there was an option for 3D hedges but I wouldn't bother with them if I was you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know, could've been a lame jogger maybe, Or someone just about to do the freeway strangler baby, Shopping cart pusher or maybe someone groovy, One thing's for sure, he isn't starring in the movies 'Cause he's walkin' in LA
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your reviews of Friends and Foes and No rest for the Wicked. Thanks, Brendan Slade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnar sveinsson
Iceland
hafnafjordur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi thanks for good review but you are forgetting one thing when you are talking about easy to sacrifice animals like cannon fodder, in the rulebook page 11 it says. ( a familiar is defeated and removed by the first flesh wound it receives. Discard the corresponding familiar card. Due to the magicla bond, its handler endures 1 wound (no armor roll) as well. so
you cant sacrifice animal without getting wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.