GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,972 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Railways of the World» Forums » Variants

Subject: bidding in turn order, or in reverse turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the auction process; is it preferable to bid in turn order, or in reverse turn order - and why?

Thank you,
Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it depends, but probably in turn order.

If you went first, now you have to bid and pay something, or go last.

If you went second, now you have to bid and pay something, or go last / second to last.

And so on. In my experience, a lot of times people will pass the turn order and go to the end if there isn't anything of extreme value available. So if you're passing 5th, now you might end up 1st or 2nd for low cost or no cost.

If you bid in reverse order, if you're last and don't want to spend much, you're going to be stuck in last for a bunch of turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Alex, good answer. How does your group resolve your bidding? After the winning bidder pays the full amount of his bid, does the 2nd place bidder pay 1/2 rounded up, or does he pay nothing? If he pays something, how about the 3rd place on down? There will be 5 of us playing tonight, and it would be good to know how other groups handle the bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer99 wrote:
Thank you, Alex, good answer. How does your group resolve your bidding? After the winning bidder pays the full amount of his bid, does the 2nd place bidder pay 1/2 rounded up, or does he pay nothing? If he pays something, how about the 3rd place on down? There will be 5 of us playing tonight, and it would be good to know how other groups handle the bidding.

First place pays full.

Otherwise, when you pass, pay half your bid, rounded up, for all other positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse turn order and bidding for each position as outlined in the rules found in this file:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/43455/railroad-tycoon-tur...

Every single group of experienced players I know that has tried this has never gone back to any other turn order bidding style.

- Simple
- Adds little rules/time
- Everyone pays what they want to be where they want (eliminates wins due to seating order and freeloading off someone who regularly overbids)

If you dig through the forums here you'll often hear it referred to as the Evo/Lords of Vegas style auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A variant that I like, but which has its flaws is not about which order you bid in, but about where folks land at the end of bidding. When I have the right group, I like to play that the first person to pass goes last, next person to pass goes before that, and so on.

Here's the clincher.. only the winner of the bidding becomes first player and pays.

Why do I like this? Because it can introduce bluffing and push your luck into the game. I would regularly go second because I was willing to bluff and push the bidding way up. I'd also be able to use it as a tactic to get the other players to pay more than they wanted.

Yes, there are reasons this isn't probably the best way to do it, but it is fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.