GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Karuba» Forums » General

Subject: They should make a roll/card and write version of Karuba rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Karuba but my one gripe with the game is the amount of time it takes to arrange your tiles in numerical order compared to how long an actual game takes. A roll and write version with a deck of cards would solve that.

Granted there are roll and write games that are similar but none of them capitalize on the movement/gems mechanisms that make Karuba so fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. While personally our family doesn't mind the time it takes to reconfigure the tiles, and we like the tactile appeal of laying colorful tiles on a colorful board, I would think it would be quite simple to construct this for yourself simply by drawing a five by six matrix of one inch squares on an 8-1/2 by 11 paper and then duplicating it. On the other hand, after playing Kokoro Avenue of the Kodama, I couldn't help but think that the designer of Karuba would be able to create a more interesting roll and write version by adopting and adding to the design principles of Karuba. Who knows, maybe the designer has that under development?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not spend the time to sort each tile in exact numerical order. I make 4 rows: with singles, tens, twenties, and thirties. Finding a specific tile in a row of 10 (or only 6 for the 30'ies) is quite easy and fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
I do not spend the time to sort each tile in exact numerical order. I make 4 rows: with singles, tens, twenties, and thirties. Finding a specific tile in a row of 10 (or only 6 for the 30'ies) is quite easy and fast.

Great idea. I will have to try that next play. Not that it bothers be to arrange the tiles either. But I'll have to see if it works for me. I likely have just enough OCD in me that I would still arrange the rows while we play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I made a very basic play mat to go under and around the board. It has numbered spaces for all the tiles. I find it makes set up a bit quicker and easier as it requires less concentration to lay out the tiles. You can find it in the Files section, each mat is just 2 sheets of A4 paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is a card version that's faster...Karuba: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.