GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,246 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Great War Commander» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of action cards in Melee? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Smith
United States
Pulaski
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Melee, is there an order to playing the Action cards for modifiers? For example, does the attacker have to say “I have an ambush and an Elan action,” then defender declares his? Or what?

I could see holding an ambush (as the defender) if the attacker didn’t play one. Or waiting to see what modifiers the attacker has before you commit your own. Or maybe each plays one card at a time?

thoughts? Or rules reference?

thanks!

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actions which modify the melee die roll are played immediately before the die roll is made, and since the inactive player rolls first he must play these cards first.

The Ambush situation looks like a rules error, Combat Commander rules explicitly say that the inactive player plays and resolves Ambushes first and this has been omitted from GWC. Now some may say there is a rule A28.2 which says that where both players wish to play Actions the inactive player goes first, but this does not cover the issue of declaring whether you wish to play Ambush in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the rule is crital clear beresford:

A28.2 Timing
If both players wish to perform one or more Actions (including Op Fire) at the same time, the inactive player performs any or all of his Actions first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bonzillou wrote:
the rule is crital clear beresford:

A28.2 Timing
If both players wish to perform one or more Actions (including Op Fire) at the same time, the inactive player performs any or all of his Actions first.

I don't know if this is one of those language things, but you've missed the point. In what order do the players declare that they wish to play Ambush cards? There is no mechanism for declaring something 'at the same time', unless you do 'Scissors. Paper, Rock'. Why do you think Chad Jensen (who writes clear rules) put the extra text in the Ambush rule?

Actually I may ask about A28.2 on the CC forum because I can't think of a situation where players would play cards simultaneously. In the quoted example (Op Fire) this occurs before the active player plays any cards in the newly-entered hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
extract from the CC rulebook:

A24.2 Timing—If both players wish to perform
one or more Actions (including Op Fire)
at the same time, the inactive player must
perform all of his Actions before the active
player may play his first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you are right. The Combat Commander rules have the same shortcoming. What the rule should say is something like this:

Where Actions can be played at the same time, the Inactive player must
perform all of his Actions that he wishes before the Active
player may play his first one.

The current rules don't say who must declare he wants to play Actions first, and this is important for Ambush, when you often want to play your Ambush on the Melee which your opponent is NOT playing his on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kent stuckert
Canada
Calgary
alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
After having played 60+ CC:E scenarios I think the rule is perfectly clear! There is even a chart with CC:E that makes it clear. Remember "a rule means exactly what it says"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.