GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Where to find GIMP Card Templates? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if anyone knows where to find gimp templates for cards/symbols etc. Been searching a bit and haven't found a good source yet for this, though I imagine lots of people design their own cards.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people do, but they frequently use online card designers, from what I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Winter
Austria
Wien
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out the Magic Set Editor!

http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/download.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Tamzarian
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
badge
"My dreams all involve combing my hair."
mbmbmbmbmb

Magic Set Editor (MSE) has a lot of things going for it, but it does a relatively bad job handling certain image files. As best I can tell, it seems to automatically convert whatever image one imports for card art into a fairly heavily compressed jpeg-format image for its own internal processing, which is then used when it creates the final completed image of the finished card. While the degradation in image quality is imperceptible on some images, it is, sadly, clearly evident on others.

This is really a shame as the application does a great job rendering the rest of the card (frame, text, mana symbols, etc.) at a reasonably high resolution. The only workaround I have been able to find is to create the card itself in MSE using only a blank or vibrant solid color background image for the card art, then loading the resulting completed card image file into Photoshop or a similar program and pasting in the original non-compressed artwork manually.

Rather a pain to do, but the results do end up looking dramatically better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. I will check out the mtgset editor and see how it integrates with GIMP.

Thanks for pointing me in a direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.