GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Jonathan Janosi
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I was reading this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1806154/sea-supplies-and-no...

And it has both the rulebook quote:

Quote:
"Two Points have a Port Symbol, and function as Port Cities when moving Supplies and men, and when resolving Bombardment."

and this exchange:

Quote:
"But the crown cannot transport to vacant non-city ports, right?"

Quote:
Correct.

But if this is the case, what does it mean by "function as ports when moving supplies and men"? Can you transport troops out of them? Can you transport troops in if its non-vacant? I thought I had a grip on the rules until reading this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the Crown can transport units to a vacant point or city port. You can also transport units from a friendly occupied point or city port. (Note Quebec & Novia Scotia as having some separate and special rules.) You cannot sea move supplies to a non-friendly occupied port.

This thread also raised the issue: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1959830/crown-player-move-s.... Tom Holland posts (in responding to a question about how to recreate the Long Island campaign - at that little point port East of New York):

Quote:
It's really a matter of timing. You move the army into the vacant port by the end of Turn 6 or 7 or what-not, then you move the supplies in on the next turn. It's a high-level if somewhat gamey abstraction of the difficulty of planning and executing amphibious maneuvers.

So, based on this as well, I would say that yes, the Crown can transport units to vacant or friendly occupied city and point ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My relevant response from the original thread:

Quote:
Looking over the thread, I think I misread Rob's question as being about the supply move instead of the transport action - yes, you can transport men in that way, but you can't do your one-turn movement of supplies to a vacant non-city port (because vacant non-cities can't hold supplies, and need men to carry them).

I apologize for the confusion/imprecision. This is one reason why the sea rules are quite different (and simpler!) in the second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Janosi
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to both! Seems like my original understanding of the rules was accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.