GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Istanbul: The Dice Game» Forums » General

Subject: Card Actions : Good or Not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me two and a half plays of Istanbul: The Dice Game to realize what the cards kept reminding me of.
It wasn’t the cards from Istanbul itself. You could play them whenever it was your turn. Sometimes more than one at one time. But not in the Dice Game.
In that one, if you take the card action, you’re doing something then and there ( or, if you don’t have what you need, getting ONE MONEY as consolation) Ugh!!
The point is the cards are very similar to the Encounter cards in Steam Time ( also by Rudiger Dorn )
So far....After three plays, the Dice Game card action may be too much of a gamble to be as productive as other actions.
( Any feelings?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually will only take that action if I can spend 2 or 3 dice to pick the card I want and if I have a moderate amount of resources. Then the card you get to play can make a big difference in your chances of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And using three dice to do it may not be the best use of resources (But it's pretty cool to have the $10 to buy a ruby if you get that card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I do wish it was $2 as a consolation prize, but I am sure they playtested it and it broke something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
I do wish it was $2 as a consolation prize, but I am sure they playtested it and it broke something.
Yes, why would anyone use the coin action then, when you get more for each Bonus card you can get?
Many of the cards are worth more than 2 Liras, so there must be a risk in taking them. We even had a time without any compensation, but this was too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Ralph, Thank you. Yes, the cards have the risk/reward piece - the coins have a fixed value. If I spend four card dice to see four cards and none are of interest, the return is one lira. How about if you don't use any of the cards, you get as many lira as cards you drew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Ralph, Thank you. Yes, the cards have the risk/reward piece - the coins have a fixed value. If I spend four card dice to see four cards and none are of interest, the return is one lira. How about if you don't use any of the cards, you get as many lira as cards you drew?
To be honest it seems to be an expensive (if not bad) move to take 4 cards. I would take 2 times 2 cards each, so you may take 2 cards (and at least 2 coins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
grandslam wrote:
To be honest it seems to be an expensive (if not bad) move to take 4 cards. I would take 2 times 2 cards each, so you may take 2 cards (and at least 2 coins).

I was under the impression that you couldn't take more than one card action per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
apecage wrote:
barandur wrote:
grandslam wrote:

I was under the impression that you couldn't take more than one card action per turn.
You don't have to use ALL card symbols for one action.

Same goes with the Lira symbols: If you have 2 dice with Lira symbols, you may take 2 Lira with the first action and 2 Liras with the 2nd action. This can make sense when you have at least 1, better 2 tiles that provide you with an additional Good marker when making the Lira action ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Ralph, If you can split up the action, why ever take more than one card in an action? Draw one - look at it - decide (repeat x 4) = seeing four cards and getting up to 4$ - or two cards and 2$? I feel like I am missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Ralph, If you can split up the action, why ever take more than one card in an action? Draw one - look at it - decide (repeat x 4) = seeing four cards and getting up to 4$ - or two cards and 2$? I feel like I am missing something.

Remember, you are limited to 2 actions per turn. So with two card dice, you could do draw-and-play a card twice OR draw-2-play-one and a separate action with the other dice and goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
grandslam wrote:

Remember, you are limited to 2 actions per turn. So with two card dice, you could do draw-and-play a card twice OR draw-2-play-one and a separate action with the other dice and goods.
Yes, this answer is correct. You do not "split up the action", you make TWO actions then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Flowers
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Ralph,

Good afternoon! I have the English copy of the game (i live in USA), and the rules I have indeed imply you can split up your card draws (i.e. instead of taking 4-choose-1 you could take 2x 2-choose-1, but the rules state when taking the Lira action you must use all available Lira dice.

Can you please clarify the intent of the rules regarding Lira dice?

Mitch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
mellyflow wrote:
Ralph,

Good afternoon! I have the English copy of the game (i live in USA), and the rules I have indeed imply you can split up your card draws (i.e. instead of taking 4-choose-1 you could take 2x 2-choose-1, but the rules state when taking the Lira action you must use all available Lira dice.

Mitch

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29411889#29411889

barandur wrote:
If you have 2 dice with Lira symbols, you may take 2 Lira with the first action and 2 Liras with the 2nd action. This can make sense when you have at least 1, better 2 tiles that provide you with an additional Good marker when making the Lira action ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
mellyflow wrote:
Ralph,

Mitch

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29411889#29411889

barandur wrote:
If you have 2 dice with Lira symbols, you may take 2 Lira with the first action and 2 Liras with the 2nd action. This can make sense when you have at least 1, better 2 tiles that provide you with an additional Good marker when making the Lira action ...

Thanks for quoting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.