GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Tcho-Tcho Complete Rework rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've felt for a while that there are fundamental issues with the Tcho-Tchos. I believe that while previous fixes address the balance of the faction, it doesn't address the fun. Then I saw Dorkside's cookie suggestion on a change to the faction, making it want to go after Great Old Ones. I still wasn't satisfied, but a seed of an idea grew.

So that's what I'm doing here. I'd like this to become an unofficial update to the faction, but to do that, I'll need feedback, suggestions, and dare I even ask playtests. This faction is the anti-turtle. It has the ability to skip around the map, spawn units anywhere when the GOO is out, and has little reason to stay in one place. You're also terrifying to other faction's GOO, which makes sense since you've already domesticated one.

Let's get to it.

Setup
After all other players have set up except Opener and Windwalker: 6 acolytes & a controlled Gate in an empty Area containing a faction Glyph. Set Ubbo-Sathla's Growth counter to the Doom Track equaling the Ritual Cost minus the number of players (to a minimum of 0).

Faction Ability
Sycophancy (Ongoing): The default cost for enemy players to Awaken their Faction GOOs is reduced by 2 (1 if their faction has 2 Great Old Ones). This does not stack with any other reductions in cost. Gain 1 Growth each time a Great Old One is Awakened, Killed, or Eliminated. During Gather power, gain power equal to current Growth.

Spellbooks
Idolatry (Ongoing): Your High Priests may Move between all areas with Faction Glyphs as if they were adjacent. In doing so, they may bring one other Cultist or Monster (from any faction) with them for free. Enemy units controlling a gate are immune.

Terror (Battle): In any battle where a Proto-Shoggoth is present, gain combat equal to the the amount of different enemy units in your area up to 4.

Martyrdom (Post-Battle): If your High Priest receives a kill, gain 2 power. All your other units are immediately retreated to any area with a Faction Glyph.

Hierophants (Pre-Battle): If your High Priest is in combat, your opponent selects one of their monsters. For the rest of combat, it acts as a 2 combat monster for you and does not benefit from opponent's spellbooks/abilities.

Soulless (Ongoing): Your cultists cost 2 power to capture.

Tablets of the Outer Gods (Action: Once Per Round): Ubbo-Sathla must be in play. Roll combat dice equal to current Growth. Apply the die results to GOOs that share an area with your units anywhere on the map. If a pain is rolled, take 1 Doom from that player. If a Kill is rolled, take 2 Doom.

GOO
Ubbo-Sathla
Combat: The amount of areas with Proto-Shoggoths x2.
Awakening: All three High Priests must be in play and enact Unspeakable Oath. Spend 6 power and Ubbo-Sathla appears on any controlled gate regardless of where the High Priest were.
Hell's Banquet (Ongoing): If Ubbo-Sathla is moved by any game effect, you may place a Proto-Shoggoth from your pool in any area with a Great Old One present.

Spell Requirements

Your High Priest is pain in combat
Awaken Ubbo-Sathla
All enemy Great Old Ones have been Awakened at least once or you gain 20 Doom Points
Your 3 High Priests each share a different area with enemy controlled gates.
As an Action, return all your Acolyte cultist on the board to your pool.
Any Great Old One is Killed or Eliminated from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts:

-This does absolutely look like great chaotic fun
-I'd be wary that the abilities are too nuanced compared to other factions: there's a lot going on in most of them, which (for me at least) goes against part of the appeal of CW a bit
-That alternative Tablets is much too strong: the gaining power part means that basically you're doing it for free, the result being you could potentially annihilate everybody else's GOOs in one turn for no net cost, plus gaining Doom and Growth, the latter making it much easier to do again next turn. You're going to have some very unhappy opponents here, and not in the good way

My Improvements (based on no playtesting obviously) would be:

-Ditch the "Gain Power equal to Growth" from Sycophancy: you get enough extra power to play with from elsewhere
-Idolatry should only allow movement of your own units alongside the HP, mostly because I can't see a tactical reason why you'd take someone else's Monster who could then immediately nosh your HP next turn, so keep it simple
-Keep Terror the way it was in the OG, it works well enough
-I like the gaining 2 Power part of Martyrdom, potentially that's all it needs, working similarly to Passion
-In Hierophants, don't change the combat value of the monster: it will just add confusion
-Tablets: dear gods make this only useable once per turn. As a mitigation for that fact, make it a gain of 1 Doom per Pain or Kill on a GOO, which accounts for TT's normal inability to properly defend their gates
-Ubbo's combat is, again, much too broken in high player counts, not sure what I'd change it too though, also be aware that Hell's Banquet currently allows for a 1P summon of a Proto Shoggoth anywhere on the map, which I'm not sure I'm down with

There's some excellent ideas here, though, I look forward to seeing other people's thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:

All enemy Great Old Ones have been Awakened at least once

This seems like a potentially problematic requirement, in that if another player screws up badly and fails to summon their GOO over the course of the game, it takes you out of contention as well. Every other spellbook requirement that depends on another faction will be triggered if at least one opponent is trying to win, but requiring all of them seems likely to lead to unfun outcomes. I guess you fix this by letting the Tcho-Tcho forcibly summon enemy GOOs as a backup plan, and maybe there's an interesting ability to develop in that space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
Well it's certainly different, I'll give you that.

Afrofrycook wrote:
Sycophancy (Ongoing): The default cost for enemy players to Awaken their Faction GOOs is reduced by 2 (1 if their faction has 2 Great Old Ones). This does not stack with any other reductions in cost. Gain 1 Growth each time a Great Old One is Awakened, Killed, or Eliminated. During Gather power, gain power equal to current Growth.

I don't think the Growth grows at enough of a rate to matter with this layout. Honestly, I don't think Growth really matters with this set up at all. The only thing that makes use of it is Tablets and one spellbook requirement. I suppose the power gain is meant to offset cultist losses in other areas of the set up, but it doesn't spike heavy enough I feel. On average, you'll have 0 Growth to start. You'll gain 1 for each GOO awakened (say average of 5 in most games), drop it by 3 for a spellbook to 2, maybe gain 2 to 3 for a lucky shot against someone's GOO or your own for 4-5 Growth, and then perhaps use Tablets to great enough effect to drop it back down to 2, maybe 1 if very lucky. The power gain is nice, but it feels lacking when I think about it. It might get you a good Ritual one turn, but it feels very underwhelming. The aid to your enemies is also too great for the return. A 2 power Cthulhu (optionally Tsathoggua), 3 power KiY, 4 power Yog or a 5 power Rhan & Ithaqua? I'll pass, thanks.

Afrofrycook wrote:
Martyrdom (Post-Battle): If your High Priest receives a kill, gain 2 power. All your other units are immediately retreated to any area with a Faction Glyph.

Isn't this a bit strong? It's basically Martydom in its current format with a power boost for the pleasure, and a more massive repositioning boost. There's no reason to not sac your Priests now most of the time, but why wouldn't you kill your Priests with this as your go to even with a reason to keep them around?

Afrofrycook wrote:
Ubbo-Sathla
Combat: The combined total number of units in everyone's pools.
Awakening: All three High Priests must be in play and in the same area. Spend 8 Power. Replace 1 of your High Priests with Ubbo-Sathla.
Hell's Banquet (Ongoing): If Ubbo-Sathla is moved by any game effect, you may place a Proto-Shoggoth from your pool in any area with a Great Old One present.

The combat seems odd, but interesting enough. It certainly makes Ubbo a strong starter with a drop off, as opposed to a weak start with heavy attack near the end, so gets what Sandy originally wanted to do done.

But that drops off with the Awakening cost. This poor sod costs a total of 17 power to summon the first time; 9 for all three HPs as we have no free HP gain mechanic anymore, and then 8 for Ubbo himself! It's infeasible to the point where I wouldn't even bother until late game for the Spellbook. It's not even worth doing for a Growth, and you certainly don't want to lose him for one either with that price. Pick either a flat 8 with all Priests needing to be in play, or sac one Priest with all three in play. Both is too pricey.

Hell's Banquet is nice, as the new Terror and Hierophants makes your PShogs a proper fighting force for a change. I like.

Afrofrycook wrote:
Tablets of the Outer Gods (Action: Cost 2): Ubbo-Sathla must be in play. Roll combat dice equal to current Growthh. Apply the die results to GOOs that share an area with your units anywhere on the map. If a pain is applied, you gain 1 power. If a kill is applied, gain 1 Doom and the owner receives power equal to the GOO's cost. Reduce Growth by 1 for each Kill and two Pains you rolled.

The details of Growth as well as the problems with Ubbo make this underwhelming. The Doom gain is not likely to be good enough, the average power return only refunds the cost of use, and it needs Ubbo to be in play, which is a pricey task. Where as Martydom was made super strong, this was made weak to the point of paltry. I'd definitely last book it in its current format. But even with changes to Ubbo's summoning cost, it's still not worth it without Growth being more meaningful.

Afrofrycook wrote:
All enemy Great Old Ones have been Awakened at least once

This is more of a personal nitpick than anything else, but timed release Spellbooks that don't belong to Cthulhu are horrible, imo. Boring to wait for a turn that might never come depending on how badly someone messes up, or how incredibly someone pulls ahead. Doubly so in large player counts.

Afrofrycook wrote:
Your 3 High Priests each share a different area with enemy controlled gates.

I can't put my finger on why, but this seems troublesome to do without Idolatry. Needing one spellbook to effectively gain another is a bad time if you ask me.

It seems interesting, but a bit disconnected from itself. The spellbook requirements ask for some odd things, and while many work against what the faction will be doing, the faction doesn't do what it should well enough yet that it would be worth the undercut. Personally, I'd start with figuring out what I want Growth to do, and weaving it into a bunch of the facets about the faction. Using it less as Ubbo's own thing and more of a faction mechanic as a whole is a great idea. So great I might just steal it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I did with the other Alternate version of the Tcho-Tcho (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1986628/tcho-tcho-2-electri...) I made a faction sheet to help with the playtesting. I'll update it whenever you guys come up with errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SantaClaus MR
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Well this comes at a fortunate/unfortunate timing in that several of us have been winding down creating our own variant of the faction on the Tcho Tcho 2 electric boogaloo thread. However, im interested in coming up with the most interesting and balanced variant we can come up with as a community so il help playtest this once it gets a bit more focused.

I feel like once people grasp the game and take a shot making their own faction, they get excited about making complicated abilities with multiple uses and math involved. We started out like that in the other thread too. The problem is that i think that, in this game, with 4 or more different players doing different moves and having different abilities, there are already tons of factors to consider when taking your turn. Once you have to start doing math to determine if its worth moving a monster with a HP, to force your opponent to summon another monster, which weakens your GOO, i think it will make the game too convoluted. I agree that we should stick to keeping the spellbooks as focused as possible.

I like the idea of an Anti Turtle Tcho Tcho. We went for that in the other thread as well. Once this gets more focused il help playtest it and post back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the faction with some changes based on the feedback I've received. Let me know what you guys think.

Specifically the GOO, Tablets, and some spellbook requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
Getting there. Lots better than before, but still some details I can see immediately.

Afrofrycook wrote:

This definitely makes the power gain more impacting, but there are still lots of issues with early game for the Tcho-Tchos with this. Enemies can get their big guns out quicker, yes, but you gain Growth too slow still for the intended effect. With as many times as you're pitching Acolytes and HPs with the faction, they're too power hungry early game for this to help much, meaning they'll be playing catch up late game. I don't know if this was the intended effect, but I can see how they might have a hard time keeping a foothold at the start with all their running about and losing their power gaining units so frequently.

Afrofrycook wrote:
Tablets of the Outer Gods (Action: Once Per Round): Ubbo-Sathla must be in play. Roll combat dice equal to current Growth. Apply the die results to GOOs that share an area with your units anywhere on the map. If a pain is rolled, take 1 Doom from that player. If a Kill is rolled, take 2 Doom.

Is the effect to drain Doom from an enemy? I like that it doesn't cost power to do now, but I have to wonder what projected Growth should look like. The way in which you gain it hasn't changes, so I don't forsee too much in the way of improvement.

Afrofrycook wrote:
Awakening: All three High Priests must be in play and enact Unspeakable Oath. Spend 6 power and Ubbo-Sathla appears on any controlled gate regardless of where the High Priest were.

I get what you were going for here, but it's needlessly wordy. Just saying 'sacrifice all three High Priests' would work. The power cost doesn't need to be there.

That said, that's a steep cost all the same still. Sure, you lowered the overall front cost, but you suffer for it with the lack of HPs, as the faction still has no way to gain the HPs effectively aside from out right buying them. They go away enough due to Hierophants, but losing all three each time Ubbo dies and you need to bring him back is costly, and takes much longer than most other factions to do.

Consider also that to make Ubbo worth bringing out now you need at least one of your PShogs out and about in different areas before he starts to drop the extra, otherwise he's a target for anyone to walk up and punch immediately. This makes his effective cost still stupidly high as you have to account for at least 1 PShog in there for you to have any sort of defenses for him, so his front cost is a total of 11.

Weaker GOOs are offset by their relatively low cost and easy maintenance for meeting summoning requirements. Ubbo starts very vulnerable with the potential to grow powerful based on your PShog placement, but not any more powerful than a fully decked Nyarlathotep, who has less summoning constrictions and costs 1 power less. Ubbo still needs some major work, imo.

Afrofrycook wrote:
All enemy Great Old Ones have been Awakened at least once or you gain 20 Doom Points

Due to Sycophancy, you're likelier to see all GOOs about before reaching 20 Doom, so all it does is provide a security net to make sure you'll get it in case you don't see one player get their GOO out. Nice and all, but still timed, and therefor still boring imo.

It has more cohesion, but it's flaws are open wounds. I don't feel it can hold its own against other factions until the very last turn. Which is fine if that's what you're after, but I can imagine they'll have to play one hell of a game of catch up like this currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only one question:

Why the community developing the faction and not Petersen games? They had one botch in an otherwise fantastic game, they should use the materials they produced and provide us with a fun and playable faction, and not rely on the community to make the rules.

Currently, the Tcho-Tcho are benched in my games, I am not playing with them and this is a real bummer, since I really looked forward to a fresh, new and fun faction, and instead got a powerhouse broken faction that has more patches on it than The game Patchwork just to make it playable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juggernaut1 wrote:
I have only one question:

Why the community developing the faction and not Petersen games? They had one botch in an otherwise fantastic game, they should use the materials they produced and provide us with a fun and playable faction, and not rely on the community to make the rules.

Currently, the Tcho-Tcho are benched in my games, I am not playing with them and this is a real bummer, since I really looked forward to a fresh, new and fun faction, and instead got a powerhouse broken faction that has more patches on it than The game Patchwork just to make it playable...

People have asked Petersen Games multiple times, including myself. The answer is that Petersen Games feels that the Errata from OS3 should be enough. Since OS3 still has to be delivered you can't really say they haven't tried. Until they come to their senses users are taking matters into their own hands I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
I've updated the faction with some changes based on the feedback I've received. Let me know what you guys think.

Specifically the GOO, Tablets, and some spellbook requirements.

Also added the spellbooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SantaClaus MR
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I think I understand, but I would like OP to clarify; for Hells Banquet, does it mean you gain a Proto for getting pained or anything else besides your own movement action?

thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonightifeelikemore0 wrote:
I think I understand, but I would like OP to clarify; for Hells Banquet, does it mean you gain a Proto for getting pained or anything else besides your own movement action?

thank you

Anything that moves your GOO from one area to another will trigger Hell's Banquet.

ToeSama wrote:
This definitely makes the power gain more impacting, but there are still lots of issues with early game for the Tcho-Tchos with this. Enemies can get their big guns out quicker, yes, but you gain Growth too slow still for the intended effect. With as many times as you're pitching Acolytes and HPs with the faction, they're too power hungry early game for this to help much, meaning they'll be playing catch up late game. I don't know if this was the intended effect, but I can see how they might have a hard time keeping a foothold at the start with all their running about and losing their power gaining units so frequently.

The thing is I think the power of Growth can differ quite a bit based on the meta of the group. If you have a game where people are bringing out their GOOs turn 2, Growth is actually really strong. King in Yellow is almost always brought out turn 1 and Shub can as well. But if everyone is waiting until turn 3-4 to Awaken their GOOs, then I can see it being weaker. However, given the reduction in cost, that would seem really odd to me. If Cthulhu is 8 power, why would I not summon it turn 2? Same with Narly or Shub. Which means it might actually be too powerful.

ToeSama wrote:
Is the effect to drain Doom from an enemy? I like that it doesn't cost power to do now, but I have to wonder what projected Growth should look like. The way in which you gain it hasn't changes, so I don't forsee too much in the way of improvement.

I actually really liked the previous version, as it worked with many other mechanics in an interesting way, but even with the reduction in cost, certain GOOs had super annoying requirements (Opener didn't really refund full amount, Ithaqua has to kill a gate still, ect...). With this version, I feel the amount of Growth you're going to have is approximately around where Dread Curse is, which I'm comfortable with. Let me know if I'm missing something.

ToeSama wrote:
I get what you were going for here, but it's needlessly wordy. Just saying 'sacrifice all three High Priests' would work. The power cost doesn't need to be there.

That said, that's a steep cost all the same still. Sure, you lowered the overall front cost, but you suffer for it with the lack of HPs, as the faction still has no way to gain the HPs effectively aside from out right buying them. They go away enough due to Hierophants, but losing all three each time Ubbo dies and you need to bring him back is costly, and takes much longer than most other factions to do.

Consider also that to make Ubbo worth bringing out now you need at least one of your PShogs out and about in different areas before he starts to drop the extra, otherwise he's a target for anyone to walk up and punch immediately. This makes his effective cost still stupidly high as you have to account for at least 1 PShog in there for you to have any sort of defenses for him, so his front cost is a total of 11.

Weaker GOOs are offset by their relatively low cost and easy maintenance for meeting summoning requirements. Ubbo starts very vulnerable with the potential to grow powerful based on your PShog placement, but not any more powerful than a fully decked Nyarlathotep, who has less summoning constrictions and costs 1 power less. Ubbo still needs some major work, imo.

I definitely agree with your point about rewording.

So Ubbo's faction actually rolls more dice than CC in general. Not only that, but I feel that Ubbo's ability can be more easily used, as it functions with Idolatry and Martyrdom and any other game effect. So whereas some effects like Avatar or Harbinger happen once or twice, Hell's Banquet will be used constantly and save power from cheaper summoning cost, so I feel that the cost saving will empower Tcho-Tchos.

ToeSama wrote:
Due to Sycophancy, you're likelier to see all GOOs about before reaching 20 Doom, so all it does is provide a security net to make sure you'll get it in case you don't see one player get their GOO out. Nice and all, but still timed, and therefor still boring imo.

It has more cohesion, but it's flaws are open wounds. I don't feel it can hold its own against other factions until the very last turn. Which is fine if that's what you're after, but I can imagine they'll have to play one hell of a game of catch up like this currently.

I hear you. Do you have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
Afrofrycook wrote:
The thing is I think the power of Growth can differ quite a bit based on the meta of the group. If you have a game where people are bringing out their GOOs turn 2, Growth is actually really strong. King in Yellow is almost always brought out turn 1 and Shub can as well. But if everyone is waiting until turn 3-4 to Awaken their GOOs, then I can see it being weaker. However, given the reduction in cost, that would seem really odd to me. If Cthulhu is 8 power, why would I not summon it turn 2? Same with Narly or Shub. Which means it might actually be too powerful.

I might agree if you got Growth through other means. I tend to base my projection on this ability off of a 5 player game. 6+ might make it very usable indeed, but you also have to consider how feasible it is to expect GOOs to die or be eliminated. Off the top of my head, only stage effects and the Ancients can reliably eliminate GOOs, so that might be map specific most of the time. Kills might be more common, but I look at it from a perspective of expectation. Rare that anyone save for Cthulhu (or Tsathoggua in a game with Cthulhu) would let their GOO take the blow to save lesser units, so I imagine they'd try to avoid death where possible.

So in your average 4-5 player game, you'll get 4-5 Growth guaranteed by about turn 4 at the latest. Not bad. But think of some of the spellbook requirements, or the demands of Ubbo, or the spellbook effects themselves. You can at least one turn expect to be down something on the order of 3 power from pitching all of your Acolytes for the Spellbook gain. Awakening Ubbo drops you down to maybe 1 extra power from the cost to regain your HPs. The way they spread very thin also makes me wonder how well you can hold Gates with this faction, so what can we expect as the game goes on with regard to power gain per turn from property.

If we assume maybe two GOO related deaths and reawaken we can bump this to 8-9 Growth, which is good, but will be used mostly to cover Ritual costs I imagine, and you might only get the real meat of this effect for maybe two turns late game. So the point returns to what is the expected power per turn for these guys WITHOUT it? This is question one to be answered in my mind. Without this, we can't really speak to how good or bad the mechanic is. But I do know at a glance it seems to help your enemies more than you in the grand scheme of things. And that at least is a turn off for me.

Afrofrycook wrote:
I actually really liked the previous version, as it worked with many other mechanics in an interesting way, but even with the reduction in cost, certain GOOs had super annoying requirements (Opener didn't really refund full amount, Ithaqua has to kill a gate still, ect...). With this version, I feel the amount of Growth you're going to have is approximately around where Dread Curse is, which I'm comfortable with. Let me know if I'm missing something.

It seems like this spellbook should apply the effects to the GOOs in question that you hit, which I might have missed the first time around. Based on that you might see more GOO related death, but that makes the ability less useful as a Doom battery and more useful as a way of one shoting enemy GOOs. With this in mind, I'd say this ability, be it in its previous incarnation, or current, is too strong period. GOO death is a big deal, to the point where most players avoid it whenever possible. I'd consider tying the gains to Ubbo Sathla's combat. Make him sort of have to be hyper aggressive.

Afrofrycook wrote:
So Ubbo's faction actually rolls more dice than CC in general. Not only that, but I feel that Ubbo's ability can be more easily used, as it functions with Idolatry and Martyrdom and any other game effect. So whereas some effects like Avatar or Harbinger happen once or twice, Hell's Banquet will be used constantly and save power from cheaper summoning cost, so I feel that the cost saving will empower Tcho-Tchos.

Maybe. I took another go at the ability in my head. It doesn't get too much better results dice wise than CC I feel (at least without Hierophant), but it does make the PShogs good sacrifice fodder for killing. I feel Martyrdom is actually a detraction in this regard. You'd prefer your PShogs to die I feel, so Ubbo can escape and bring it right back immediately. I still wonder how effective the faction is at holding land though. They might be able to chase folks off gates here and there, but I don't feel they'd keep them for long, or be able to really make full use of their movement with how dependent their combat is on having Terror and Ubbo at full stock.

Also, Idolatry is not useful for Ubbo. It specifically references Cultists and Monsters only. Though making Idolatry just have your units treat all spaces with Faction Glyphs as adjacent period might be more interesting an idea for movement and positioning.

Afrofrycook wrote:
I hear you. Do you have any suggestions?

The faction doesn't seem to have ways of dealing with disruption abilities, like Devour, Dreams or Avatar. To this, I feel they'll need to be the ones to engage in open combat, which can be risky.

Martydom's power refund makes sense now, but I still feel best results would stem from keeping your cultists alive and active. They seem like they'd be best used roaming around, building property, gaining the rewards, and abandoning it at the first signs of trouble. Later when they've built their armies up, they might be able to force some people off of gates to reap the rewards, but it comes down to how easy it is for Ubbo to get in and throw his own weight about.

How regularly they can hold gates, and how often they Ritual, will be the deciding factor for their victory, but I imagine it will be harder for them with most of their units having no combat value. BG fixed this by having their Cultists gain attack through one of their spellbooks. Terror can work to fix this, but factions with trickier means of combat, or abilities that can remove the PShog as an item, will make this pointless since they need to spread so thin to make Ubbo strong. Hierophant might give you a bit of fire power to bite back in cases like this, but I feel it will be rare.

Start by determine what you should be expecting power wise without Growth just from property holdings and free PShogs, and see if Growth can really make as much of a difference for the faction as Sycophancy's power saving does for everyone else. This will be important to making sure all the wheels of the faction turn as desired.

Put Tablets under the microscope. It's weak for a Doom battery, but it might be too strong for its ability to nuke all GOOs in play from orbit at random.

Consider changing the enemy All enemy GOO spellbook reqs to be something you have a bit more control over, but not necessarily something you can earn in a single turn. Maybe something like 'have at least 1 PShog in 5 different areas with faction glyphs in them' or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.