GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,805 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Imperial Settlers» Forums » General

Subject: Is Imperial Settlers an LCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Little
United States
Corinne
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard multiple posts and comments crafting decks and putting all of the expansions together and just playing one big game.

I finally tried the suggested option for play of adding one expansion and crafting a 30 card deck. This is the way to play. When you play this way you get to see the intricacies of the expansion design and the changes come up more frequently and it can really change the way you approach the game.

The deck crafting took my brother and I about 10 minutes and then we were off to the races. The other nice thing about deck crafting was that it allowed us to become a little familiar with the cards too before we played the faction we had chosen.

Playing with only one expansion goes against a lot of what many of us expect from an expansion which is to through it in and play it all together, which makes me think that Imperial Settlers expansions just make them more of a Living Card Game than anything else.

If you wanna play with everything mashed together you are missing the purpose of the expansions and will never be able to truly appreciate what the designers intended.

Keep in mind that deck crafting shouldn't be done until you are familiar with the game mechanics which makes things hard in this day and age of Love em and Leave em Lastest and Greatest.

But I say Huzzah to this game and is has once again returned to the top tier of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well LCG is a term owned by FFG/Asmodee so they are not going to call it that. In some respects it functions in that way but has a different deck crafting requirements.

Given that the cards you add are from one expansion and the expansion is designed to be played against other cards in the expansion, it still seems like a normal card game with an expansion.

For it to be more like an LCG< you should have no restrictions on how you can put a deck together. Granted, they give you the freedom to play how you want but officially it isn't this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Truth be told, noone really knows what LCG means. Yes, it is an FFG's term and they have the right to use it, but it's kind of hard to define, what does it mean, especially that there's no regularity in their releases anymore.

But if we assume the more-or-less-accepted definition as "deckbuilding card game constantly expanded by influx of new content, released in (relatively) equal, short periods of time, then - no, Imperial Settlers isn't LCG. IS never was a deckbuilding game at its heart. It's just a standard boardgame with cards, with few regular-and-to-be-expected standalone faction expansions, and few weirdly designed and marketed mini card sets.

There's nothing subtle or magical to expansions in Imperial Settlers. They're just sets of mechanics that are meant to be added to your deck, should you desire to play with that particular mechanic. It is also meant to be 1 special (expansion) mechanic at a time, no more. So, yes, when playing with everything mashed together, you're just adding more chaos and randomness to the system, making the game essentially collapse. The deckbuilding itself is also quite limited and narrow. The game (or rather: designer, if you will) actually wants to you add mechanic-set-as-a-whole, rather then deckbuild and tinker around certain specific combos/interactions.

IS is a good game, make no mistake about that, but if you want a true deckbuilding/lcg-like experience, look somewhere else. (I think) the "deckbuilding" aspects were shoehorned into IS as an experiment. It didn't really work out. But that's ok, the game stands on its own, it doesn't *need to be* a deckbuilding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Little
United States
Corinne
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
IS is a good game, make no mistake about that, but if you want a true deckbuilding/lcg-like experience, look somewhere else. (I think) the "deckbuilding" aspects were shoehorned into IS as an experiment. It didn't really work out. But that's ok, the game stands on its own, it doesn't *need to be* a deckbuilding game.

I agree. Which is why I call it a deck crafting mechanic. I was really just trying to advocate for the card crafting of IS and not to simply mash things together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.