GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Cheap Tactics Dwarves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm working my way through the saga series with a couple of dwarf decks, tweaked from the suggested decks in the Over Hill and Under Hill box. I have the core set w/its APs, Over Hill and Under Hill, On the Doorstep, and Khazad-dum. And I find my tactics pool to choose from is woefully understaffed w/cheap chump blockers (being at this point mostly eagles).

I'd like to go w/dwarves if possible, so what's the most efficient way to obtain the most cheap dwarves? Which expansions/AP? I'd like to buy as few as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
www.Ringsdb.com is your friend.

http://www.ringsdb.com/find?q=k%3ADwarf+s%3Atactics+t%3Aally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure how to do that. But basically it tells me there are no cheap dwarves in tactics. Yikes. Well, that saves me a lot of time & money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack
Poland
Warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
What a lovely day!
badge
Happy Holidays!
mbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
So I'm working my way through the saga series with a couple of dwarf decks, tweaked from the suggested decks in the Over Hill and Under Hill box. I have the core set w/its APs, Over Hill and Under Hill, On the Doorstep, and Khazad-dum. And I find my tactics pool to choose from is woefully understaffed w/cheap chump blockers (being at this point mostly eagles).

I'd like to go w/dwarves if possible, so what's the most efficient way to obtain the most cheap dwarves? Which expansions/AP? I'd like to buy as few as possible.

I'm no expert but I think that a "chump blocking" is not very good idea to begin with. Personally I do it as a last resort. In the dwarf-only deck i'd choose Veteran Axehand from tactics and Miner of the Iron Hills or Erebor Hammersmith from lore if I really needed to sacrifice someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of chump blocking with dwarves, since dwarf decks typically want to get at least five dwarves ASAP. With that said, there is the 2-cost ally Veteran Axe-Hand (core set), the only cheaper allies in Tactics (Vassal, Dunedain Hunter, Knights of Swan) aren't intended as chumps anyways. I usually only run Vassal with other Eagles, so Winged Guardian is a perfectly servicable ally defender.

Longbeard Sentry isn't a bad ally defender (3/3) if you don't mind discarding from the deck, and a good defender if you're trying to discard from your deck. Among heroes, Dain Ironfoot has excellent defensive stats, though it's great to put Armored Destrier on him to enable the counterattack. And there's a large number of dwarves who can be Beregondish-defender with hero Dori's help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
msg tools
I've been using Dain + Dwarven Shield which makes getting dwarf allies out easier. You could also include a Steward of Gondor and never want for resources again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A fun option (when it works) is "A Very Good Tale." It can enable you to get your dwarves out fast, including Tactics. And if you happen to discard Ered Luin Miner with it, he's also go into play as a bonus. Another good target for A Very Good Tale is Erebor Guard, assuming you get him into play at a cost of 2, but he counts as 4 with A Very Good Tale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I'll also mention that Tactics often does not need chump blockers since they have access to both the Feint and Quick Strike events. With a high enough attack value on a single character, which is very easy to do with Dwarves, Quick Strike allows you to 1-shot a monster with a single strike before they even attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, “A Very Good Tale” is in my other hand (spirit, leadership). And yes, it’s a great way to get the dwarves out.

I’m TRYING to get 5 dwarves, but it’s awfully hard to do when they cost 3 resources. I’ve got Erebor, Veteran Axehand, and Miner, but that’s only 8 altogether. I was hoping to find some more. But in checking Ringsdb, I find that there are precious few low cost dwarves.

And yes, I chump block Tom, Bert, & William. Single-shotting them doesn’t seem to be an option. Because..A) 10-12 HP, and B) ”Wind-Whipped Rain”. Only once have I managed to have “A Test of Will” in my hand when that storm blew up.

I did manage to complete the first OHUH quest last night (my 6th attempt), but only barely. The Spirit/Leadership hand maxed out & the Tactics/Lore deck was only 1 point away from the same fate.

So I had the brilliant idea of re-balancing my deck to get more dwarves to come out...reticent fellows that they are. Nice idea meets cruel, harsh reality, and dies of starvation.

I’m used to this, after all, I play LOtR. laugh The only inglorious death I haven’t died yet is pecked to death by crows. I’m sure it’s coming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Unfortunately, “A Very Good Tale” is in my other hand (spirit, leadership). And yes, it’s a great way to get the dwarves out.

I’m TRYING to get 5 dwarves, but it’s awfully hard to do when they cost 3 resources. I’ve got Erebor, Veteran Axehand, and Miner, but that’s only 8 altogether. I was hoping to find some more. But in checking Ringsdb, I find that there are precious few low cost dwarves.

If you're running tactics/lore, you've got my favorite cheap dwarves, the Erebor Record Keeper (cost 1). They can't attack, they can't defend, but with Dain at the table they quest for 2 -- and once you get lore resources piling up, they can ready more valuable dwarves instead. Not useful as chumpers, of course, but terrific at getting to 5.

If Bifur is your Lore dwarf hero, you can pay for 2-cost lore dwarves immediately, so lore/tactics/tactics could get to 5 on the first turn by borrowing from the other deck.

Quote:
And yes, I chump block Tom, Bert, & William. Single-shotting them doesn’t seem to be an option. Because..A) 10-12 HP, and B) ”Wind-Whipped Rain”. Only once have I managed to have “A Test of Will” in my hand when that storm blew up.

That makes sense, but in that quest you have time to build up before you meet them -- you should already meet your dwarf thresholds by then and can part with a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, somehow I overlooked Erebor Record Keeper. Khazad-dum is new to me, so I’m not as familiar w/those cards. Right now I’m using Ori as my Lore hero, but I was looking at Bifur earlier today and thinking I might swap him in.

As for the build-up...yes, of course. Until a couple of “Roast ‘Em or Boil ‘em” come out nearly back-to-back. cry That’s why I’m trying to boost my dwarf ally ratio in my deck, so I have a better chance to draw one after the others get eaten. Tragic but true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.