GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,017 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Playing Solo - 2p or 3p? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Re
msg tools
Hey, friends.

I've been playing Gloomhaven for quite a while now, and thinking of starting solo. Would you recommend doing that as 2 characters or 3? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with 2. That's already quite a lot of stuff to manage in your head and on the board.

I do think the game works best with 3 characters, so if you are comfortable with playing 2 after a few scenarios and would like to add a character, do so. But start with 2 in order to keep complexity and playtime down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play solo, I do two characters. In general, I think the game is more interesting with three or four, because of the interactions between characters, but personally I'd find it too mentally taxing/too much bookkeeping work to manage three or more characters myself. If you think you're up for that, you can probably do it just fine. I know others on here play solo with three or even four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Betker
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with four myself. It takes a little longer to play out, but I've had fun with it.

I've played with every player count. Three and four work really well, but I've found that some of the character classes just aren't very good at 2P. Plus, you're really lowering the pool of characters to donate/retire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On my first attempt to play the game I tried 3p but I found it just too much and didn't enjoy my plays as I was trying to learn the game and how 3 characters worked. So I switched to 2 and my enjoyment went up dramatically. I recently went back to 3 though now that I know the game. It still can be a lot to work out but I am doing fine with it. Since you have been playing awhile, you could probably handle 3. The one thing I would consider is how much time you have. It certainly adds a decent amount of time when you add a third character as you have to coordinate all their actions and then you have triple the things to work through at the end of the level and back in Gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Start 2, go to 3 after awhile. Two is entirely enjoyable, but three lets you see more classes and is ultimately a bit more interesting. But starting with 2 is less overwhelming and works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 40+ sessions with 2 characters. I like it quite a bit.

I tried 3 in the beginning and it was too much. Too much to think about and too much table space in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sajuro
United States
yucaipa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hi
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with 2.
Depending how you feel about playing 2 characters play 3 or stay at 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kenny
msg tools
I've only just started playing Gloomhaven this week. I started straight away with 3 characters and found the first couple of run throughs quite difficult. I then downloaded Gloomhaven Helper and that completely changed things for me.

Once you have a little extra space to spread out and can remove some of the admin it flow much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier See
Singapore
flag msg tools
When I first started, I played with 3 characters because I thought it would be much more immersive and enjoyable. But yes, as others have mentioned, it is mentally taxing to manage. After playing about 5 or 6 scenarios however, I think I got a hang of it.

Of course, playing solo with 3 characters does take much more of your time because of all the management. Most of the time I could not play when I get back from work at night because it just takes too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.