GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So much for easing fears of a trade war

Quote:
President Donald Trump on Sunday issued new threats against America’s trade partners, calling for them to remove trade barriers and tariffs, or face the consequences.

“The United States is insisting that all countries that have placed artificial Trade Barriers and Tariffs on goods going into their country, remove those Barriers & Tariffs or be met with more than Reciprocity by the U.S.A. Trade must be fair and no longer a one way street!” Trump said in a tweet.

Trump has already warned China that the U.S. will seek additional tit-for-tat tariffs on Chinese exports if China slaps retaliatory tariffs of its own on U.S. exports. Sunday’s message may indicate a similar stance toward the European Union.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trumps-latest-threat-to-us...

Here is said tweet in all its original glory

Topping off this continued threats against China, folks are beginning to believe we are heading for a trade war. Dow is down about 400 points so far today

https://www.google.com/search?q=dow+jones+friday&oq=dow+jone...

Who knew that electing a mentally unstable lying bigot would be so problematic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like someone with a moustache fighting a war on many fronts.

Regarding China ... Go ahead, Donald!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:

Who knew that electing a mentally unstable lying bigot would be so problematic

I think alot of people knew, laughs, they just voted for him anyway.

Trump, the kindergartener, wagging his finger at the big boys in the school yard. "Give me what I want, or else". Of course, the story ends when the big boys give him a wedgie, and throw him into the back alley at the playground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what? Didn’t Trump START this tariff war? And now, he threatens the nations who retaliated? I am so confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an economist but I'm pretty sure that trade is always a two-way street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
I'm not an economist but I'm pretty sure that trade is always a two-way street.

So are Trade Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Wait, what? Didn’t Trump START this tariff war? And now, he threatens the nations who retaliated? I am so confused.

Not really, no. My understanding is that Europe and China and most countries have had trade tariffs in place for decades now. For whatever reason we had reached an equilibrium where the tariffs in place were not being questioned by the US or anyone else.

Trump took that as a starting point and then started questioning them in the most undiplomatic way possible, ignoring any context in which they might have made any sense, and upping the ante at every turn.

So in a way, yes. But we weren't necessarily the first ones to impose tariffs in all of these cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Not really, no. My understanding is that Europe and China and most countries have had trade tariffs in place for decades now. For whatever reason we had reached an equilibrium where the tariffs in place were not being questioned by the US or anyone else.

Trump took that as a starting point and then started questioning them in the most undiplomatic way possible, ignoring any context in which they might have made any sense, and upping the ante at every turn.

So in a way, yes. But we weren't necessarily the first ones to impose tariffs in all of these cases.

Tariffs go back centuries. But in recent decades they have (overall) been very low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would let other countries set our trade policy.

Whatever their highest tariff on our goods going their way will be applied to all goods from their country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Yep but also the US has tariffs on some things. For example Obama put up tariffs tremendously on Chinese solar panels due to believing the Chinese were dumping them on the outside market at below cost. Obama also introduced high tariffs on Chinese tires - which was probably more a punitive tariff.

But some goods are totally banned in the US for no sensible reason - such as Kinder Surprise eggs, real haggis, black pudding, and Mirabelle plums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man.. He's holding a gun to his head while standing on a ledge saying, "Backoff or I'll shoot".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Whatever their highest tariff on our goods going their way will be applied to all goods from their country.

That's a terrible policy when we are selling $50 billion dollars worth of product to them and they are selling ~$100 million dollars (maybe less) worth of product to us. Which is the case for automobiles.

And it's even more terrible when we are selling running a trade surplus with them. (ala Canada).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Well, from an accelerationist perspective that's certainly one effective way to hasten the demise of the world's remaining superpower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Yep but also the US has tariffs on some things. For example Obama put up tariffs tremendously on Chinese solar panels due to believing the Chinese were dumping them on the outside market at below cost. Obama also introduced high tariffs on Chinese tires - which was probably more a punitive tariff.

But some goods are totally banned in the US for no sensible reason - such as Kinder Surprise eggs, real haggis, black pudding, and Mirabelle plums.

Chinese now consume more solar power than they manufacture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

And yet we still have access to Marmite. Funny that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

That isn't a good way to do trade. It's up there with 'Flat Tax' in terms of overly simplistic bad ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
qzhdad wrote:

Have you thought this through?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

ah, yes, the "whining child" school of trade theory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberals (and conservatives) always want to complicate things so that they can choose who to reward and who to punish.

Personally, I really like the idea of all people being equal and treated the same by the government.

What's the downside of my proposal, if someone wants to sell here, they have to let us sell there. What is the argument for tariffs and protected markets? How do they help the average citizen? It can only make things more expensive for the end consumer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
err maybe because we don't shitty american clorine washed chicken at any price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
err maybe because we don't shitty american clorine washed chicken at any price?

Then don't buy it? If no one over there wants it, there'd be no need to ban it, would there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
ah but that's the point -yourwhinning about being excluded from the market ,then your whinning about having to lable it as 'clorine washed' shit so the consumer has the ability to know what shit it is and not buy it.

The same with your steroid and growth hormone riddled beef. You want to sell stuff here its our house our rules. We follow yours in your market.

Not our fault your consumer rights are shit and consist of bending over and being shafted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
qzhdad wrote:
What's the downside of my proposal, if someone wants to sell here, they have to let us sell there. What is the argument for tariffs and protected markets? How do they help the average citizen? It can only make things more expensive for the end consumer.

The super-short version is that we feel it is important to have a thriving industry in certain products, lest we be over reliant on other countries. Nobody wants to live in a country that, for instance, gets all their food from another country that could use the threat of cutting off that food as a weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

What's the downside of my proposal, if someone wants to sell here, they have to let us sell there.

The main one is that it demands that other governments ignore domestic politics and essentially do nothing for any industries. It also treats a complex problem (free trade) as though it's much simpler than it is, by boiling it down to a single measure (tariffs).

On the first point, almost every democracy has some protected small industry. Wisconsin Senators trade their votes for cheese protection; other countries have their entrenched interests. A policy that sets every tariff by the highest one amounts to, "Get your domestic politics in line or we'll blow up trade over something insignificant," which we wouldn't like if it were done to us.

On the second point, tariffs are just one way that trade is distorted. We subsidize our farmers and then ask the world for free trade for produce; if we make tariffs the measure we'll presumably get lower tariffs but that won't mean we don't face other barriers.

Like most complex issues there are ways to simplify it, but only so far. At the end of the day we need to sit down and negotiate. Our trade situation with the EU and with Canada are both pretty good; we could legitimately complain about some things and so could they, but neither of us is taking advantage of the other. China is a different story, and a true negotiator could potentially have mobilized the rest of the world to push China towards reform. At the moment, that seems largely out the window, and the risk of an actual trade war is growing. (At this point it's only a risk; Trump has a history of backing down when people stand up to him, and pretty much everyone is standing up to him en masse, so I think the odds are he caves...but he may also figure that he's gone so far that he can't back down.)

Quote:
What is the argument for tariffs and protected markets? How do they help the average citizen? It can only make things more expensive for the end consumer.

Overall, tariffs are terrible for everyone. Free trade benefits both nations, but trade does create winners and losers as well. Brexit and Trump were both fueled by the people who are or who see themselves as the losers in globalization. They may end up even worse off if they get what they want, but that isn't how it feels now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Not a big fan of negotiation, are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.