GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Brass: Lancashire» Forums » General

Subject: No tiles on the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
In Brass: Lancashire it says that if you have no tiles on the board (industry or link) you may use an industry tile to "build the matching Industry tile in any location with an undeveloped space" ...

But in Brass: Birmingham it says you can, not only do this, but could build links. Of course that would give you a tile on the board.

Is that right?
Lancashire: If no tiles can build anywhere with industry card.
Birmingham: If no tiles can build anywhere with industry card or build a link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. This is a rules change between Lancashire and Birmingham. In Lancashire your first play of the game can't be to build a link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Links can only be started from a tile you have on the board - so until you place one, you can't build links at all - nothing new about that rule. Having no presence on the board allows a build of an industry with a matching card, anywhere there is an appropriate open spot, anytime not just on your first turn of the game. If, for example, you spend several cards developing and still haven't built anything yet, the "no presence" provision still applies. Similarly, if you have no tiles remaining on the board after the switch from the Canal to the Rail Era, the provision still applies (not to be confused with the "double card" build anywhere provision).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
Links can only be started from a tile you have on the board - so until you place one, you can't build links at all - nothing new about that rule.

Actually Brass: Birmingham does allow you to build links. So it does appear has a new/changed rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
Similarly, if you have no tiles remaining on the board after the switch from the Canal to the Rail Era, the provision still applies

That's true, but if you have no tiles on the board at the start of the Rail Age, you are not doing very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
How you view the world says nothing about the world, and everything about you.
badge
I had a fox instead of a teddy.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not always the case now... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:

You can win the game while starting in the Rail Era with no tiles on the board? I've only played the on-line app a couple of times and the board game only once.

Is this a valid strategy or just something that can happen though very unlikely? I would think the more level 2, and up, tiles you have the better for double scoring without needed to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
How you view the world says nothing about the world, and everything about you.
badge
I had a fox instead of a teddy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
mopeymatt wrote:

You can win the game while starting in the Rail Era with no tiles on the board? I've only played the on-line app a couple of times and the board game only once.

Is this a valid strategy or just something that can happen though very unlikely? I would think the more level 2, and up, tiles you have the better for double scoring without needed to do anything.

Was referring to Birmingham. It happened once in testing, but time will tell if it's really viable. Sure was nice building anywhere on the board in the rail phase though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:
Was referring to Birmingham. It happened once in testing, but time will tell if it's really viable. Sure was nice building anywhere on the board in the rail phase though...

I really hope it is not viable.

Having a game where you sit out the first half and have a shot at winning does not sound like fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
mopeymatt wrote:

Having a game where you sit out the first half and have a shot at winning does not sound like fun...

I saw a game (actually the only live game I've played) where one player didn't sit out the first half but never developed past level 1. Their score was right up there with everyone else, either second or third in a four player game.

But starting in the Rail Phase there was just so much catchup they lost by a fair amount. Not sitting out, just not playing as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see.

I have never witness a game where that happened but yeah, make sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:

I hope it would be viable.

Just because you have no industries on the board, doesn’t mean you “sat out” in the first half. Building your income and developing into the higher level industries quickly/cheaply/easily in preparation for the second half should be an important thing. It’s not *all* about positioning after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
I hope it would be viable.

Just because you have no industries on the board, doesn’t mean you “sat out” in the first half. Building your income and developing into the higher level industries quickly/cheaply/easily in preparation for the second half should be an important thing. It’s not *all* about positioning after all.

In Brass: Lancashire, developing into the higher levels and then getting them onto the board so that you can score them twice is really important. I haven't yet played Birmingham, but I can't imagine the board being different enough to change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and in Lancashire it's a really good idea to have one or two level 2 coal mines on the board at the start of Rails, from which you can build out railroad links. Again, I'd bet good money that the same holds true in Birmingham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.