GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Hapsburg Eclipse» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Some suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmb
First, the game is mostly about turn to turn decisions, which means there's not much true "strategy" but here are my true strategic suggestions --

1) increase DRMs for the eastern off-map battles. These figure very largely in National Will, so you must allocate resources to them as soon as possible. After that, the western front is worth it if the allocation doesn't hurt too much, but otherwise, don't bother.

2) you must assume that the Carpathian and Polish fronts will collapse. They did historically, and the Austrians had good reason to expect it, so counting on it eventually is a sound strategy (as opposed to just some wild hope)

3) hold the "radio intercepts" as long as possible -- they can prevent a front getting to a 1-space or even entering Vienna. These must be used only as a truly last resort.

4) use the +2 German aid counters only when you have a 3 action card to maximize effectiveness (unless of course you absolutely must use it to push a front back)

5) finally, keep the Hungarians away from revolt -- if they get to one space away and you draw the "all triggers" card you can suddenly lose the game

That's it. I've come close to winning (and have repeatedly done much better than the historical result) using this approach.

Can you win? Only with great luck, honestly.

Finally, I don't find this game as fun or cool as Ottoman Sunset. Not sure why just yet, but maybe it seems more mechanical than historical.

Anyway, a fun game, certainly worth the 30- 45 minutes it takes to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.