GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

The Red Dragon Inn» Forums » General

Subject: RDI 2 or RDI 6? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil K
msg tools
I currently have RDI 3 and am looking to expand to allow more people to play mainly because it doesn't hit the table enough with a 4 player cap. However I am debating about getting RDI 2 OR RDI 6. 6 looks more in depth and has some cool new features which I always like but I don't want it to be overly conplicated because i use it mainly as a drinking game and dont want people to be overwhelmed. I also play a lot of board games and I have a lot of complicated games that would compete with this one to get on the table so I want it to be easy enough for people to learn but still worth getting. RDI6 looks more interesting to me and also has a team element which I really like in games but I don't want people to be turned off to the game with too much complexity so I am thinking practically what is the best one to get if I already have RDI 3? I don't see a whole lot of info on RDI 6 out there to be honest so let me know if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin LaGarry
United States
Massena
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you might do is add some of the single character packs to your game. You could play 5 comfortably although beyond that you might need to add another game so that you have enough drink cards. I have added 3 characters to RD1 and can play 5 players (with several to choose from) and everything fits in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Either would be fine, just pick the ones with characters that appeal more.

I really don't enjoy the game with more than 6 and 6 is pushing it for the amount of down time I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camilo North
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you find that the RDI 3 characters are perceived as too complicated for your group? Ignoring the team versions of the game, I'd say the RDI 6 characters are about as or slightly more complicated than those, while the RDI 2 characters are less complicated. I personally like the characters from RDI 6 more, but I also don't recommend the team variants from that game, especially if you're trying to avoid bloat.

Veering off topic, I'm also a big fan of RDI 4. I like the pirate theme and think the characters feel unique and interesting without getting too inaccessible with complex mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Dragon inn 4 minus Remy no character has any unique mechanics after RDI2 almost all characters will have a unique mechanic so the game has more flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goddammit! Quality and on time delivery are not mutually exclusive!
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For simplicity's sake go with RDI2. Characters are all basic and I think Gog has seen game play nearly every time we have played.

To echo others, I would not play with more than 6. If you have 7 or 8 players you are better off having two games simultaneously.

Lastly, If you go with RDI2, check the Slugfest site to see amendments to a couple of Eve's cards. Won't be a game breaker without the changes but will make a slight difference.

Lastly, if you ever have any question geekmail the guys at Slugfest - their response and support is top notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P_J_Keller wrote:
For simplicity's sake go with RDI2. Characters are all basic and I think Gog has seen game play nearly every time we have played.

To echo others, I would not play with more than 6. If you have 7 or 8 players you are better off having two games simultaneously.

Lastly, If you go with RDI2, check the Slugfest site to see amendments to a couple of Eve's cards. Won't be a game breaker without the changes but will make a slight difference.

Lastly, if you ever have any question geekmail the guys at Slugfest - their response and support is top notch.

As a volunteer who had to do so several times I can attest as much that you can trust that statement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.