GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,416 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Roads to Gettysburg II: Lee Strikes North» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flanking Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff H
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confused on this rule section. I get Flanking in general (one of the trickier concepts I feel) but the below seems to contradict each other:

Page 14 Flank Attacks:

Covered Hexes - 1.C

c. It is a mountain or swamp hex (including provisional swamps in a rain
turn) or the defender’s hex is a mountain or swamp hex. The two hexes
are not connected to each other by a road, pike, RR or trail.

Final Flank Bonus - 3.C

c. It is a mountain or swamp hex (including provisional swamps in a rain
turn) or the defender’s hex is a mountain or swamp hex. The two hexes
are not connected to each other by a road, pike, trail, or RR.

These are identical and baffled why that is. Is this a Cut and Paste error? I wonder about the "not" before each "connected"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's correct, and it's there to account for unusual corner cases. In short, two fundamental things are happening:

Part 1, Covered Hexes, asks "how vulnerable is the unit's retreat path?" You can't safely retreat through an enemy unit or its ZOC, and you can't retreat across a river or mountain.

Part 3, Final Flank Bonus, asks "how much of its flank does a unit actually have to defend?" Impassable terrain puts the unit in some jeopardy, but troops don't need to be diverted to guard against it. Friendly units likewise preclude the need for defense on that hexside (you just join up your lines).

So consider two cases: case A where only units come into play, and case B where only rivers come into play.

Case A is a unit surrounded by enemy units and/or ZOCs. The defending unit has to (below the scale of the game) commit troops all around, not knowing where an attack might actually come from. The full +4 flank bonus for all covered hexes and none removed.

Case B is a unit defending in HCR W 2325, along the meanders of the Shenandoah. The attacker in W 2224 completely encloses the defending unit, and so it is vulnerable to some extent, but the defender isn't actually spreading troops to guard against 5 hexsides of river; the full defensive force is put on the one vulnerable hexside.

The more realistic case is defending Harpers Ferry. The flank rules are such that at least four hexsides must be vulnerable to generate a flank bonus; Harpers Ferry is bordered by 3 major river hexsides and so a defending unit is never* going to be spread across more than 3 hexsides in defense.

*assuming no pontoon bridges built across those hexsides.

Why have it at all, instead of just not counting up those hexes in the first place? Because it's still possible to generate some flank bonus (+1 out of the initial +4) for any fully-invested defending hex. Maybe that's a little weird with the Shenandoah example above, but it again makes more sense at Harpers Ferry: being completely surrounded is bad, but impassable terrain as part of that "surrounded" is better for your combat result than being surrounded by potential attackers. On the other hand, the retreat options are probably worse; there's a much stronger chance of being forced to retreat on the higher manpower loss lines because there are fewer physical avenues to pick from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks Stephen. Your last paragraph summarizes my bafflement if there is such a word. Got it now. I hope to get this game on the table at the upcoming WBC in PA if I can find any takers.

I've been away from this series for 20+ years and very foolish of me. Now if I could just find a copy of SJW II...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Jeff: If you are going to be at WBC on Tuesday, there is a copy of SJWII in the auction that day.

And please join us on Wednesday for the GCACW Demo and Tournament. All experience levels welcomed and we have tournament copies of both RTGII and AIO from MMP so no one needs to break out their personal set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:
Jeff: If you are going to be at WBC on Tuesday, there is a copy of SJWII in the auction that day.

And please join us on Wednesday for the GCACW Demo and Tournament. All experience levels welcomed and we have tournament copies of both RTGII and AIO from MMP so no one needs to break out their personal set.

Damn... I don't show until Thursday. I know I'm missing some things coming later in the event but no choice... Hoping to get an Open game anyway while I'm there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I will be coming down to WBC on the Monday and would like to see the demo if possible. I just received the game and think it is fabulous looking. I'm busy running with Mr. Madison's with Dave Stiffler on that day but may be able to attend later on in the week. I'm anxious to learn this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.