GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Cthulhu: Death May Die» Forums » News

Subject: Bunch more articles up on CMON's page rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://cmon.com/news/cthulhu-death-may-die-art-and-aestheti...

https://cmon.com/news/cthulhu-death-may-die-design-and-devel...

https://cmon.com/news/cthulhu-death-may-die-a-new-take-on-an...

CMON is just building hype, but these are some what neat information

Additional one on Jul 3rd:

https://cmon.com/news/cthulhu-death-may-die-the-investigator...

New one on 7th:

https://cmon.com/news/cthulhu-death-may-die-the-monsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
July 10th is too far away. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick glance at it makes it sound a lot like The Others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:

I had the same impression as well, and here's Brian's reply. Major difference is that DMD is a coop, while The Others is "1 vs. Many". We'll get more info during the campaign, of corpse. : goo

Quote:
The Others has an Apocalypse track, when it hits the 7th spot - the heroes take wounds and corruption every round - in other words the game is over very soon.

At CMON expo I talked to Eric after the presentation was over, I told him The Others is one of my favorite games (it's my favorite competitive game). He was happy to hear that and said they want to make sure DMD is different enough and good enough that those with the Others will want to own both.

Read into that as you may, but the dash boards they had and the little info we have thus far seem to indicate some kind of board and objectives. The dice are special. But everyone is insane already - get too insane and it's game over. Similar to corruption, how similar we need the rules. In any case it seems a lot more complex and deep. Corruption in the Others is pretty simple, more power the higher it is when you take corruption, but once you are full it no longer helps you in any way (and you are likely dead soon)

The time track is new info in this publish, it cements what we already know that the game is played in 2 phases. This is distinct from the Others.

Also in the Others the sin avatars can be killed and come back to the board if they are killed and not the end goal - they are NOT the sin it self. The ancient ones in this game ARE the ancient ones.

Also the Others is set up where Heroes are expected to die, it's OK you have more in reserve. in DMD - anyone dies in phase 1 it's game over. Phase 2 is fast so death is ok here, but chain death = not likely to win.

To a hero player the Others is a puzzle game where the Sin player is attempting to stop them. In a Co Op you no longer have a human opponent so is it made complex or is it a simple puzzle? The Others has many different missions, Sins, Acolytes which change up the rules and affect the puzzle. From the video it sounds like combat will be made more complex then rolling a bunch of dice for each player.

I expect the others in typical CMON style will do something similar. But will they go so far as to make it fixed what figures go with what Episode? From the video each scenario/episode will have custom tokens but reuse given tiles. It seems you could change out the Ancient one that's being summoned.

Also never forget Eric keeps saying this is "Shoot Cthulhu in the face"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I had the same impression as well, and here's Brian's reply. Major difference is that DMD is a coop, while The Others is "1 vs. Many". We'll get more info during the campaign, of corpse. : goo

Quote:
The Others has an Apocalypse track, when it hits the 7th spot - the heroes take wounds and corruption every round - in other words the game is over very soon.

At CMON expo I talked to Eric after the presentation was over, I told him The Others is one of my favorite games (it's my favorite competitive game). He was happy to hear that and said they want to make sure DMD is different enough and good enough that those with the Others will want to own both.

Read into that as you may, but the dash boards they had and the little info we have thus far seem to indicate some kind of board and objectives. The dice are special. But everyone is insane already - get too insane and it's game over. Similar to corruption, how similar we need the rules. In any case it seems a lot more complex and deep. Corruption in the Others is pretty simple, more power the higher it is when you take corruption, but once you are full it no longer helps you in any way (and you are likely dead soon)

The time track is new info in this publish, it cements what we already know that the game is played in 2 phases. This is distinct from the Others.

Also in the Others the sin avatars can be killed and come back to the board if they are killed and not the end goal - they are NOT the sin it self. The ancient ones in this game ARE the ancient ones.

Also the Others is set up where Heroes are expected to die, it's OK you have more in reserve. in DMD - anyone dies in phase 1 it's game over. Phase 2 is fast so death is ok here, but chain death = not likely to win.

To a hero player the Others is a puzzle game where the Sin player is attempting to stop them. In a Co Op you no longer have a human opponent so is it made complex or is it a simple puzzle? The Others has many different missions, Sins, Acolytes which change up the rules and affect the puzzle. From the video it sounds like combat will be made more complex then rolling a bunch of dice for each player.

I expect the others in typical CMON style will do something similar. But will they go so far as to make it fixed what figures go with what Episode? From the video each scenario/episode will have custom tokens but reuse given tiles. It seems you could change out the Ancient one that's being summoned.

That all sounds good to me. I quite enjoyed The Others, only reason I don't own it anymore is because I could never find people to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Stephenson
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
wrote:
[...]

soblue That's sad man, just sad. But little surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
danlicata wrote:

Thanks for posting that, and I hope it becomes clear in the KS. I LOVE the Others, and this seems different enough + the fact it's a coop is key for me.

The artist is the same which doesn't help similarities and the others was loosely based upon Cthulhu. But the mechanics should be quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point Elai wrote:
wrote:
[...]

soblue That's sad man, just sad. But little surprise.

I don't think it's sad at all. If you want a slow, brooding, mystery game go play any of the hundreds of Cthulhu games that already exist.

I'm excited for this BECAUSE it's the Cthulhu version of an action film. I already own a dozen slow-grow crawling horror Cthulhu games. Mansions of Madness being an obvious example to point to. I'm eager to play Mad Max: Cthulhu Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New article posted today - added to first post.

I really like that the characters seem more film noir and not at all like The Others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the character design. I don't find many of the actual characters themselves particularly interesting (besides the fairly obvious Indiana Jones reference and the guy in the Fez), but none of the characters in Mansions of Madness really interest me either, so that's not really a drawback in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://cmon.com/news/cthulhu-death-may-die-the-monsters

Now it's the monsters turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.