GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,411 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: How to get started? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys.

I wish to start a collection to play. How could I start? Is it possible to buy second hand products?

Is there anything important to notice?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the most important thing right now is that FFG is getting ready to launch X-Wing 2.0 in September. While there's nothing wrong with 1.0 (I've got a respectable sized collection that I use for casual play), I'd probably use caution before buying in to 1.0 since I'd imagine a lot of the competitive scene will transition to 2.0 quickly. FFG will sell "conversion kits" for existing 1.0 materials, but that's an added expense I wouldn't want to set myself up for if I was just getting into the game.

That being said, you can usually find people selling X-wing collections when they tire of the game at a steep discount. Perhaps we'll see more of that from people who don't want to make the transition to 2.0 making this potentially a good time to jump in to 1.0 if you don't mind the limits that might entail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jluminati wrote:
Probably the most important thing right now is that FFG is getting ready to launch X-Wing 2.0 in September. While there's nothing wrong with 1.0 (I've got a respectable sized collection that I use for casual play), I'd probably use caution before buying in to 1.0 since I'd imagine a lot of the competitive scene will transition to 2.0 quickly. FFG will sell "conversion kits" for existing 1.0 materials, but that's an added expense I wouldn't want to set myself up for if I was just getting into the game.

That being said, you can usually find people selling X-wing collections when they tire of the game at a steep discount. Perhaps we'll see more of that from people who don't want to make the transition to 2.0 making this potentially a good time to jump in to 1.0 if you don't mind the limits that might entail.

Thanks for the input Jon!

I have been studying the game, but I was not able to find answers for some questions:

Can I use Scums in both Rebel and Empire decks?

Are there Scums that fly x-wings?

Can I play Rebel x Rebel death match?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casually you can play whatever ships you want.

but generally, No. Scum cannot be in lists with rebel or empire.

in 1e the firespray is available to play in imperial lists. 2e this is not true.

There are no scum x-wings.

There is no problem playing same vs same. even same pilots are ok, as long as you don't have a 'thematic' reason against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathmvp Deathmvp
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my home games me and my kids will do Themed fights all the time the ignors the 3 faction separation but in more offical games you do not mix the faction in the game. Some ships may be able to fly under diffrent factions though depending on who is the poilet of the ship.

P.S. The next Theme game we plain to play is a 200 point mix faction of Large ships vs small (not epic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

I am disturbed though.

I am not a big fan of SW (I know many details but am not a fanatic). However I do want a SW game.

I once bought Rebellion, but was unable to send it here to Brazil (shipping was too high), so I sold it.

I am now wondering about X-Wing and Armada. Both have customization (what I DO like) and asymmetrical powers (I also am very fond of), but they play differently from each other.

X-Wing seems to be on a better entry point now, as v2 is on he horizon, so it is more affordable to buy 2 core (2012 and 2015) and some ships.

Armada on the other hand is twice the cost, but catches on me a vein for capital ships and command orders.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jump on x-wing now, they are correcting all the power creep issues with the second edition. They may decide to do the same with Armada, and then where will you be, and how will you feel about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased about half of my collection 2nd hand from auctions here on BGG. I think you might run into shipping issues to Brazil though...

With 2nd edition coming out, I've heard a lot of current players plan on selling or getting rid of much of their cardboard components that will be replaced with the 2nd edition conversion kits. FFG sells packs of ship bases (in lots of different colors and clear), so if you're not going to be in tournaments, you could play without the ship models by picking up some of those in-expensive ship bases and second hand cardboard components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.