GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,183 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Question for Geekmarket SELLERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Becker
United States
Demotte
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a minimum length of time that is appropriate to wait before identifying someone as a bad buyer?

I have had a few people commit to buy items and then fail to pay or respond when I send them a payment reminder.

What is your protocol in a situation like this?

Thanks for any help you might offer!

Jon Becker
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont label them as a bad buyer but I do keep a running list of persons who never respond after a confirmation is sent or a reminder to submit a payment. I dont usually sell to them again or respond to their inquiries
Rick
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You can determine that by your own metrics and clearly laying out those expectations in your listings. Since everyone on this site is to be above the age of 14 (or is it 16?), I expect them to act that way.

Three days to pay after sale confirmation. If you can't, just communicate.

If you can't do either, and you still fail, then I cancel, auto-relist, and leave the appropriate feedback.

So, whatever you set the terms to be, a human should be able to read, parse, and follow. If they don't want to, they don't buy.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jbecker007 wrote:
Is there a minimum length of time that is appropriate to wait before identifying someone as a bad buyer?

I have had a few people commit to buy items and then fail to pay or respond when I send them a payment reminder.

What is your protocol in a situation like this?

Thanks for any help you might offer!

Jon Becker


24 hours. Then I send a reminder for 12 hours.

You're shopping. You cannot go to Walmart fill a cart, then walk away for days expect the cart to still be available when you return.

I never leave negative feedback on these cancellations though. Won't hurt them and give them a chance to hurt me in retaliation.

Most of the them, if you dig are either fake accounts or very little used accounts. Not sure they thrill they are getting, but they are trying up a product someone else could buy.

For an auction vs. marketplace you might give them a little more time if they are communicating (hey will pay on payday). But there is no reason for the marketplace for someone to try to "order" something days before paying. Come back when you have the money and pay immediately. First come, first served.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
If you don't have much positive feedback, then don't risk the game of retaliatory feedback...

but as soon as you build up a little, remember that leaving negative feedback on a poor BGG user (marketplace) helps inform the community for future interactions with this account.

I'm willing to take a little hit for the benefit of the community.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
If you don't have much positive feedback, then don't risk the game of retaliatory feedback...

but as soon as you build up a little, remember that leaving negative feedback on a poor BGG user (marketplace) helps inform the community for future interactions with this account.

I'm willing to take a little hit for the benefit of the community.


If BGG would add the ability to post a rebuttal to negative feedback, it would help.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I let two nights go by (figuring the evening is when most people find the time to pay attention to such things), then follow up and give them 24 hours to respond. Then cancel the order with an accompanying message. I don’t leave negative feedback because I’m of the opinion that you shouldn’t leave feedback unless an actual transaction took place. Yeah, it was rude to take my game off the marketplace for a few days, but no serious harm done. You never know when someone was planning to buy something but then had a family member hospitalized or something and had to focus on more important things.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaine Chuey
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
I let two nights go by (figuring the evening is when most people find the time to pay attention to such things), then follow up and give them 24 hours to respond. Then cancel the order with an accompanying message. I don’t leave negative feedback because I’m of the opinion that you shouldn’t leave feedback unless an actual transaction took place. Yeah, it was rude to take my game off the marketplace for a few days, but no serious harm done. You never know when someone was planning to buy something but then had a family member hospitalized or something and had to focus on more important things.


I agree. The only difference for me, I cancel the order after two days without payment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would reach out after a day or two and then cancel the order a day or two later if no response.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
If you don't have much positive feedback, then don't risk the game of retaliatory feedback...

but as soon as you build up a little, remember that leaving negative feedback on a poor BGG user (marketplace) helps inform the community for future interactions with this account.

I'm willing to take a little hit for the benefit of the community.


If BGG would add the ability to post a rebuttal to negative feedback, it would help.


I would agree, but for now, I'll let it up to the smarter crowd to parse and research negative feedback - taking into account the source. Retaliatory feedback is easy to spot... even my dog can do it.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.