GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,502 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Solomon Kane» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Solomon Kane and other large price tag miniatures/adventure games coming... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solomon Kane continues to intrigue me as possibly different enough to invest, but in just a couple of weeks CMON will be kickstarting Cthulhu: Death May Die which has more information being release and has noted Designers. Lastly, Claustrophobia gets a renewal KS with Monolith producing (which I've already removed from my list because they've already stated it will NOT include a Solo/Coop version...only 2 player as original).

It's been an active miniatures / skirmish / adventure board game Season on KS...just not sure which way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can pledge $1 for Solomon Kane now and if Death May Die is not to your liking, add more in the SK pledge manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Death May Die is a co-op designed by Eric Lang (Blood Rage) and Rob Daviau (Pandemic Legacy), with art by Adrian Smith (Blood Rage, The Others etc) and miniatures by Studio McVey (Blood Rage, The Others etc).

Unless something goes really awry, that’s a shut up and take my money KS (though I tire of Smith’s art of late.. but I digress).

We have no way of knowing which is the better game, especially prior to the DMD KS/rulebook release. If you want both but can’t afford both, consider this:

-Death May Die will have copious exclusives that will never be reprinted.
-Soloman Kane will almost certainly be on KS a year from now, including all SGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
-Soloman Kane will almost certainly be on KS a year from now, including all SGs.

What makes you say this? CDMD may well never see the light of day again, but SK reappears next year? Mythic said something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelaar wrote:
Geoff wrote:

What makes you say this? CDMD may well never see the light of day again, but SK reappears next year? Mythic said something like that?

Because they’d be out of business if they spent a year designing and producing assets (game design, paying for art, miniature sculpting, narrative texts, proofing, marketing & advertising — not to mention the cost for their steel molds which will be in the hundreds of thousands) — only to run a one-and-done KS earning well under 2M before expenses.

Secondly, precedent, esp. for games that are completely KSe such as Conan, Mythic Battles and 7th Continent). This is not even limited to KSe games such as SK; pressing a button to produce more copies for a repeat kickstarter is becoming increasingly common, often with better results in the later reprint, for example errata corrections, typos, improper cutting (see MBP boards), better components. Examples of recent non-KSe reprints that come to mind are Dinosaur Island, Gloomhaven and Heroes of Land Air and Sea.

You can’t expect Mythic Games to state this while asking for your money today. And, of course, anything can happen. But “anything can happen” can be levelled at any product.

So, I stand by what I said. If you want both but can’t afford both today, you won’t get DMD later w/exclusives, but there’s a good chance you’ll be able to pickup SK during a reprint KS, SGs and all. This is not a slight on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelaar wrote:
Geoff wrote:

Well, CMON never does reprint campaigns, so that part is right. Not sure what Mythic's policy is though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you like solo, Soloman Kane is 100% solo-able with two different modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mythic has NOT said that.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Death May Die is shaping up (in my mind) to be a standard CMON coop, more of the same, and SK is something really innovative, so it's easy to choose between the two. Of course, this is my interpretation, everyone should have your own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Karpowitz
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m HOPING to have the money to do both, but I agree, Solomon Kane seems to be the more unique property to me. I feel like a CMON Cthulhu game feels pretty predictable already. Echoes of Mansions of Madness, only without the building adventures of that campaign. And I have to admit, the idea of shooting Cthulhu in the face seems a little dumb to me. Like trying to sound badass but not actually understanding the mythos. That’s not necessarily bad, like I said I want to get both, but if im only gambling one one I want to try the one that feels like something not already in my game library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even Eric Lang said Death May Die will be a "killing stuff kind of game" (or something like that). Which sounds awful like Zombicide, Massive Darkness, Others etc... so don't expect it to have groundbreaking systems, it will be move, roll dice, flip event cards, get some loot, keep going till victory because CMON coop games are generally on the easy side anyway.

SK is a story-driven dice rolling with several luck mitigation possibilities and multiple outcomes. From what I've seen so far it is shifted to the difficult side.

My biggest concern is MG capacity to develop scenarios that are substantially different from each other, and balanced at the same time, within a very short period of time for the volume of scenarios and their very high standards of delivering their game within 12 months post-KS.

Mythic Battles Pantheon has the worst scenarios that I ever played... they were soooo bad and unbalanced that I almost threw the scenario book in the rubbish bin. But I still love that game for the skirmish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Karpowitz
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also quotes like this From the article on their website do not inspire me with confidence that what I like about Cthulhu is the same as what the designers like.

Quote:
Many games that exist within the Lovecraft mythos focus on the slow growing horror that builds as an investigation comes to its ultimate conclusion. C: DMD forgoes all of the lead up and places players right in the middle of a battle for the fate of the world.

But the slow growing horror is the best part.

Quote:
The Investigators are thrown into an all-out battle right from the beginning. Their fate and the fate of the world is up to the players. C: DMD asks what would happen if you put a team of bad asses into a Lovecraft story.

You’d have an action game, not a horror game.

I’m still hopeful, but yes, it sounds like Zombicide:Cthulhu as much as anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as Death May Die is designed by Lang and Daviau, I doubt it will be Zombicide: Cthulu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carkara wrote:

Mythic Battles Pantheon has the worst scenarios that I ever played... they were soooo bad and unbalanced that I almost threw the scenario book in the rubbish bin. But I still love that game for the skirmish.

Thank you, this is actually the most helpful information in this thread for me.. regarding the upcoming Pantheon pledge manager.. I mean, scenarios are not much reviewed anywhere but from different tidbits and this I gathered they're really bad and unbalanced..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eric Lang + Rob Daviau = money grab 100% ensured.

I'd rather stay with SK (looks much more innovative) or nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Secondly, precedent, esp. for games that are completely KSe such as Conan, Mythic Battles and 7th Continent
Side note: 7th Continent is technically not KS exclusive; that is, they (Serious Poulp) didn't label it as such, nor made any other promise that it would be KS exclusive. It was made clear there were no plans for bringing it to retail, but that was because they hadn't found any way of getting it to work economically, so they're free to bring it to retail later if they find a way of getting that to work.
7th Continent 2017 KS campaign FAQ wrote:
Q: Will The 7th Continent be available in stores?

A: In its current version and due to its high production cost and the uncertainty of how many additional customers are interested in purchasing it, The 7th Continent will not be available in stores. Remaining copies of the game will be sold later on Serious Poulp’s e-shop at a different price.

For Solomon Kane, Mythic Games have explicitly labeled it "Kickstarter Exclusive".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pfenninger
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SK all day for me. The content and niche is MUCH more attractive than the overplayed theme presented in CMD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's wise to wait and see: we haven't seen much of Death May Die, so any comparison done now seems premature and based on very little actual evidence. You can pledge 1$ for SK as suggested above, wait for DMD to launch, and make a (more or less) fully informed decision then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that SK is KS exclusive in that it will not be available in retail. I can imagine that once it is delivered and people start playing it, it won't be long before they launch a new KS project with some new scenario sets and an opportunity to buy the original stuff. We've seen it happen with other games (Kingdom Death, Gloomhaven, Folklore, etc.).

I am interested in the CMON Chuthulu game, but I really don't know what to expect.... the mini sculpts look amazing (no surprise), but I am concerned that it sounds like a coop version of The Others. In The Others you have your team of heroes, trying to complete a mission (variety of such) before they are overwhelmed by the monsters and their minions. Partway through the game the Avatar arrives, which is the toughest form of the monsters to make things even more challenging. The heroes have the ability to improve their abilities by taking "corruption", but filling your corruption track can have repercussions. Is it me, or does this sound a lot like DMD? I hope that they have a WIP rulebook ready at the launch of DMD so that I can decide for myself if this will deserve a place on my game shelf. Now if it came with a "crossover pack" to use the figures in The Others.... that would be cool.

I will say that the idea of skipping right to the climactic battle with a horror from another dimension sounds like you are skipping a lot of the fun of getting there.... especially in a Chuthulu themed game. No build up of dread and horror. Guess we will know more in July when they launch the project.

Now SK seems to have a proper "buildup" in the game. The scenarios are broken down into scenes and chapters with the cards, and along with the darkness and discovery cards, appears to have the ability to tell a really cool story with a fair bit of variety and replay. I really like the coop aspects of the game and it will really require great teamwork to win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a trap here -- you can pledge for both KS base pledges for less than the cost of all-in for either one! You'll get more total gameplay and plasticrack for your gaming buck!

Both games, btw, have mini's you can use in other RPG's. Savage Worlds has its Solomon Kane RPG line, and Chaosium it's Call of Cthulhu RPG. I'm sure someone's going to make a Cthulhu Wars faction from the CMON bits.

Solomon Kane: Reviews
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13569.phtml
https://rpggeek.com/thread/1802946/savage-world-solomon-kane...
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13442.phtml

CoC: Free QuickStart and solo adventure:
https://www.chaosium.com/call-of-cthulhu-rpg/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
I get the impression that SK is KS exclusive in that it will not be available in retail. I can imagine that once it is delivered and people start playing it, it won't be long before they launch a new KS project with some new scenario sets and an opportunity to buy the original stuff. We've seen it happen with other games (Kingdom Death, Gloomhaven, Folklore, etc.).

I am interested in the CMON Chuthulu game, but I really don't know what to expect.... the mini sculpts look amazing (no surprise), but I am concerned that it sounds like a coop version of The Others. In The Others you have your team of heroes, trying to complete a mission (variety of such) before they are overwhelmed by the monsters and their minions. Partway through the game the Avatar arrives, which is the toughest form of the monsters to make things even more challenging. The heroes have the ability to improve their abilities by taking "corruption", but filling your corruption track can have repercussions. Is it me, or does this sound a lot like DMD? I hope that they have a WIP rulebook ready at the launch of DMD so that I can decide for myself if this will deserve a place on my game shelf. Now if it came with a "crossover pack" to use the figures in The Others.... that would be cool.

I will say that the idea of skipping right to the climactic battle with a horror from another dimension sounds like you are skipping a lot of the fun of getting there.... especially in a Chuthulu themed game. No build up of dread and horror. Guess we will know more in July when they launch the project.

Now SK seems to have a proper "buildup" in the game. The scenarios are broken down into scenes and chapters with the cards, and along with the darkness and discovery cards, appears to have the ability to tell a really cool story with a fair bit of variety and replay. I really like the coop aspects of the game and it will really require great teamwork to win!

It's like a Module in Myth with the branching paths of their Quest system thrown in the mix. But instead of each hero having a unique deck of cards you use, you're using dice to determine actions.

Hell, they both even use the terms Darkness and Fate Dice. laugh

Note: Myth is probably my #2 all time favorite game, and I'm also (likely) going all-in on SK. I'm in for $1 right now, but mostly because I have planned to drop $150ish into the Hellboy PM when it launches in a few weeks, so I'll get everything for SK in the PM in a few months to spread my purchases out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth you could wait for retail for Death My Die. Sure you may miss out on a bunch of exclusives that unusually do more to throw off the balance than help.

But if you wait for a nice online black Friday sales in a couple of years you can get it for $50 or so which more than offsets that in my opinion.

Or have a friend go all in. I do both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Note: Myth is probably my #2 all time favorite game,...

Wow, somebody got past the launch of Myth to find an apparently decent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Quote:
Note: Myth is probably my #2 all time favorite game,...

Wow, somebody got past the launch of Myth to find an apparently decent game.

It's really a fantastic game, and the rules have been cleaned up quite a bit after the Sadler brothers re-wrote them. There really is nothing like it whatsoever on the market right now if you're looking for an RPG-like cooperative dungeon crawl.

And much like with SK, there's enough content right now to play it for hundreds of hours, and even moreso once the Journeyman stuff comes out. Then Myth: Master. Then Myth: Legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to derail this further, but Myth is really quite an excellent system, just poorly handled by the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.