GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 100,000 Boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears we are just weeks away from this milestone. What does it mean?
Is the hobby better or worse with this many games? I tend to enjoy playing a few games, hopefully well, rather than a lot of games superficially.

I like and admire Tom Vasel, but I have no idea how he plays and reviews so many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just means the hobby is the hobby. I think this milestone is going to be grand but I doubt it'll benefit the hobby either positively or negatively.
That said, some folks are gonna be negative lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
The number is kind of moot. We already hit 100k games long ago - the BGG database is far from complete.

I have nothing to share and no real interest in discussions about how does the quantity of games coming out affect the industry or the future of the hobby. I think the more interesting discussion is the push and pull I see on BGG between those wanting to try as many new-to-them games as possible, who tend to be the most active consumers of reviews like DT, and those wanting to replay the games they have more, like the interest in h-index threads, 10x10 threads, “buying no games” New Years Resolution threads, etc., and then how each gamer finds their particular place on the spectrum or drifts across that spectrum as they “age” and evolve in the hobby.

I struggle with it. I have become burned out watching and reading reviews and learning about new games, but I avidly try new games that my friends buy. I basically stopped buying games but I enjoy continuing to increase the number of games I’ve played and rated. I think most of the games published in the past 5 years pale in comparison to those from the 10 years before, but I still hope to be blown away by a new design. I want to increase my h-index, but I don’t really want to choose a game just because I’ve played it exactly 20 times and playing it once more will get my index up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The singularity approaches. Kiss your pets and loved ones bye-bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeWizard wrote:
I doubt it'll benefit the hobby either positively or negatively.

Well, I'm sure it will not benefit anything negatively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeWizard wrote:
... this milestone is going to be ...

100 grand, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johneboy2 wrote:

It means that the 10-fingered human race obsesses unduly about numbers which happen to be powers of 10?

(In an alternate universe, 12-fingered boardgame fans are talking excitedly about how soon there will be 248832 game entries in the database!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lucas
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
publisher
Ryan Keane wrote:
The number is kind of moot. We already hit 100k games long ago - the BGG database is far from complete.

If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist!

On a more serious note: I think that a steady increase in the amount of games available, or being made, is a good sign that the tabletop scene is as healthy as ever, or at least moving along as normal. And it's always great to see people put their passions into making a project into a reality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johneboy2 wrote:
Is the hobby better or worse with this many games? I tend to enjoy playing a few games, hopefully well, rather than a lot of games superficially.

I like and admire Tom Vasel, but I have no idea how he plays and reviews so many games.

Well, better of course. If there's more choice, there's more for everyone to enjoy and easier to include people in the hobby.

Tom Vasel does this as a job right? Imagine if you would play and review games 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. You would play a LOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
If my collection is representative (and I know, it is not) then about 1/3 of the entries in the database are expansions. BTW, I own two games that are not in the database; I'm quite sure they exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avdtweel wrote:
BTW, I own two games that are not in the database; I'm quite sure they exist.

Do you know that you can help add them to the database? Misc / Add to Database / Board Game:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
The singularity approaches. Kiss your pets and loved ones bye-bye.

The singularity would actually be a pretty good theme for a game. Be the first to build up enough computing power, develop your software, and acquire enough knowledge to trigger the singularity. It would actually be pretty incredible if you could somehow make it that you trigger an infinite combo to win the game (similar to the infinite combos that people do with various Magic the Gathering decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
It means that the 10-fingered human race obsesses unduly about numbers which happen to be powers of 10?

(In an alternate universe, 12-fingered boardgame fans are talking excitedly about how soon there will be 248832 game entries in the database!)

Hmm... 12 inch are 1 foot, 3 feet are 1 yard, 12 is a dozen, ...

Not as alternate as one might think.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeWizard wrote:
Just means the hobby is the hobby. I think this milestone is going to be grand but I doubt it'll benefit the hobby either positively or negatively.
That said, some folks are gonna be negative lol.

I'm sure there will be much talk about the 100,000th game wasn't very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I've seen several recent claims that the near 100K isn't actually all games, and that it includes "items" and expansions and such. The actual game count - iirc - is still quite a ways from 100K. I'm not a BGG data expert, but apparently you can parse it to show actual games, which drops it down several tens of thousands.

Still a milestone, granted, but perhaps not of the magnitude suspected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
I've seen several recent claims that the near 100K isn't actually all games, and that it includes "items" and expansions and such.

Yeah, that's definitely accurate. If you do a search for Netrunner, for instance, 58 items come up in the results. I've also seen expansions listed in the "browse" section that actually lists the 99k+ "games." I'm sure that the actual number of board games in the database is far less that 100,000.

And it's really just a number. We get all excited about these big round numbers, but I'll be just as excited when 100,001 gets added to this wonderful database. As the number continues to grow, I just remain in awe of this resource we are privileged to have. I've not seen a repository as definitive and exhaustive as this in any other hobby. That's not to say they don't exist. I just think it's awesome that this resource exists and has such an active user base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johneboy2 wrote:
Is the hobby better or worse with this many games?
Eh... I'll probably never notice at least 80,000 of the games in the database. Every year there'll be what... maybe 100 new interesting games? And probably a bunch of new kid's games, versions of monopolies, CAH knockoffs, etc. that I'll ignore.

If you had told me that the database was actually at 50,000 games or 200,000 games I'm not sure it would have made any difference. Most of it is cruft. The total number of games is far less relevant to me than how many good games are being made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.