GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,401 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Prelude for solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavi
msg tools
mb
Hi guys, how do you ser the Prelude expansion for solo play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gingko78 wrote:
Hi guys, how do you ser the Prelude expansion for solo play?

We’ll have to wait to see the solo rules first to see how it’s supposed to be working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it speeds up the game, then that could be useful, some days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You only get 12 generations instead of 14.

Pros: Prelude cards give you cheap stuff...if you think of the 2 cards as replacing 2 generations, you're effectively getting each card for 14 MC. Also reduces the chance of a bad start due to opening hand.

Cons: Production is worth somewhat less, as you're only getting 11 rounds instead of 13. Also makes TR worth less in terms of income.

I don't know if it will make it easier or harder (probably both depending on the 4 cards), but my gut instinct says harder...especially on Venus. (2 less WGT steps)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think of the game as starting from generation three, then you're also losing out on any income you would have gotten from played cards and TR increases in the first two rounds. You also get two fewer research phases, and two fewer chances to use once per generation actions from cards.

The prelude cards look like they would be priced around 20 MC if they were projects. It seems like the difficulty probably won't change much from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m hoping that I can combine Venus and Prelude in the solo game and leave out the Solar Phase. Hopefully, the head start of Prelude will balance out the extra parameters of Venus. That way it can still be 14 generations (which I like) and I don’t have to worry about the world government terraforming (which I dislike).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
I’m hoping that I can combine Venus and Prelude in the solo game and leave out the Solar Phase. Hopefully, the head start of Prelude will balance out the extra parameters of Venus. That way it can still be 14 generations (which I like) and I don’t have to worry about the world government terraforming (which I dislike).

Well, it's a solo game, so you can do whatever you like. You could start your TR at 50 and call it an unofficial variant and no one would ever know about your cheating, except you.

But seriously, the Venus Next rules have an official variant of skipping the WG Terraforming step in the Solar Phase (which effectively skips the solar phase until another expansion expands it.) The solo rules come immediately after, and don't do anything to remove that variant, so sounds like you can still play it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m pretty sure that playing solo with Venus and not using the solar phase would almost always be a loss.

I’m not looking for an impossible variant or to cheat and make it too easy. I want Venus in solo without a solar phase. Just wondering if Preludes will give me a way to have my cake and eat it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:

You can always try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I plan to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.