GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games with a market and Raccoon Tycoon (kickstarter) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys

I was looking at this game on Kickstarter called Raccoon Tycoon. It features a market with fluctuating commodity prices and produce goods, sell them at an opportune time and use that cash to start auctions for set collection. It has some buildings you can buy to improve production etc...

Nothing mind blowing and a bit to light and random for my liking but the concept appeals to me. The closest thing in my collection is Tulip Bubble and I love that game.

Are there other economic style games featuring a market, high player interaction and preferably deep gameplay that I can take a look at? I'm very much into games like 18xx, Indonesia, everything featuring an auction (Cyclades, Tramways, Age of Steam)...

cheers
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Seitz

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
Clans of Caledonia is like a combination of Terra Mystica and an economic game, with a market similar to Raccoon Tycoon. No auctions though as I recall.

Stockpile may be too light for you but is a really fun auction game with high interaction and the ability to increase or decrease values of commodities (here, stocks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon a Salty Ocean

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Container features bidding and price-setting. What's in the market depends on what players choose to produce (different colors of containers, rather than different goods).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's no production of goods, but perhaps take a look at Modern Art. The value of paintings depends on which artist's paintings are sold (there's a central market board), and each player takes turns setting the auction. It's all auctions, so there's plenty of interaction, and I find it a fantastic and fun game.

(FYI, if you had some interest in Racoon Tycoon, there's going to be a live playthrough of Raccoon Tycoon tonight by Heavy Cardboard. I don't follow HC so don't know a ton about them, but from their name/reputation they like heavy stuff so maybe it's more strategic than you think? For full disclosure, I'm a RT backer )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Planet Steam might be close to what you are looking for? I thought that game was cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Longobardi
Brazil
Mogi das Cruzes
São Paulo
flag msg tools
TOASTY !!!
badge
FLAWLESS VICTORY
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodb66 wrote:
Are there other economic style games featuring a market, high player interaction and preferably deep gameplay that I can take a look at?

Try these ones:

Container (or Container: 10th Anniversary Jumbo Edition!)
King Chocolate
Ponzi Scheme
Modern Art
Imperial 2030
Chicago Express
Food Chain Magnate
Indonesia

You'll not regret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
fantseepants wrote:
Clans of Caledonia is like a combination of Terra Mystica and an economic game, with a market similar to Raccoon Tycoon. No auctions though as I recall.

Stockpile may be too light for you but is a really fun auction game with high interaction and the ability to increase or decrease values of commodities (here, stocks).

Thx, I own Clans of Caledonia, I like it but it doesn't feel like an economic game, it's a way to get the rescourses you need for your puzzle.

Haven't tried stockpile yet, I hope to play it one day. It's one of those games that I might like but am not sure about so I want to play it before buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Container features bidding and price-setting. What's in the market depends on what players choose to produce (different colors of containers, rather than different goods).

Hope to get my hands on a copy one day, seems like a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
There's no production of goods, but perhaps take a look at Modern Art. The value of paintings depends on which artist's paintings are sold (there's a central market board), and each player takes turns setting the auction. It's all auctions, so there's plenty of interaction, and I find it a fantastic and fun game.

(FYI, if you had some interest in Racoon Tycoon, there's going to be a live playthrough of Raccoon Tycoon tonight by Heavy Cardboard. I don't follow HC so don't know a ton about them, but from their name/reputation they like heavy stuff so maybe it's more strategic than you think? For full disclosure, I'm a RT backer )

I love Heavy Cardboard, they bring really great content and bring an honest no bullshit review of the games they play. So I watched the playthrough but I'm still not convinced. There's a lot to like but it's not enough for me, it seems a bit to chaotic. But I think it will be a pretty good game.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll look into the suggested games. I love games like Food Chain Magnate and Indonesia and it's hard to live up to those as an economic game. I'm always on the look out for other titles to add to the collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For economic games, Brass: Lancashire is a great one as well.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanee wrote:
For economic games, Brass: Lancashire is a great one as well.

Bye
Thanee

I backed the new shiny reprint together with the new Brass: Birmingham. Should arrive this month, finally....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.