GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

D100 Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trying out this game 1st time. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm struggling a bit here, I have watched the Flying Solo YT videos but have still got a few questions...

1) how do the skills work in the game? I've picked two skills to add +5 to them, but can't see how these are used and how they increase in experience points.
2) am I right in saying that the belt has five slots and that the small numbers refer to the D10 die roll when the belt takes damage?

Thanks, John.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daikaku Tanaka
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) skills can be used to amend success rate of skill test, if that test mentions specific skill. You can gain experience point when you made a dice roll 10- (before amending) on any skill test.
2) you are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bossa
Italy
flag msg tools
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
I'm struggling a bit here, I have watched the Flying Solo YT videos but have still got a few questions...

1) how do the skills work in the game? I've picked two skills to add +5 to them, but can't see how these are used and how they increase in experience points.
2) am I right in saying that the belt has five slots and that the small numbers refer to the D10 die roll when the belt takes damage?

Thanks, John.

Hello!
1) Skills are values added to your rolls when you do tests, the game will call for them. For example a monster with the Surprise trait requires an INT check, and the skills Aware is indicated in round brackets at the end, meaning that if you have +5 in aware, per say, you can that to the amount you need to score equal or below to. (If you have INT=40, the test has a minus 15, but with the +5 you have, you have to score equal or below 30 instead of 25; I hope I got the rules right).
If you manage to score equal or below 10 on any tests or attack check, you can shade 1 single pip on the relevant characteristic used OR you can shade 2 pips on one of the skill that came with the test (in square brackets) (for attack checks the second option is of course not available, as no skills is involved).
2) Yes you have 5 slots on your belt. When you check, a 5 rolled means you destroy the item in the 3rd slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alrighty then. Here are a few more to test you on...

We played our first game, whilst watching the Solo Flyer, and the quest raised a few more questions:

3) Are the (+) signs in the wrong boxes on the character sheet? Armour wouldn't do damage so these items wouldn't need plus signs, and weapons don't defend so they don't need plus signs either, they just seem to me to be in the wrong boxes. In fact, I would say the irrelevant boxes should be grayed out.
4)My wife found an item of superior armour which added 0.6 to her defence total. How does this work? Does it get round up to 1?
5) If you revisit a red explored area do you have to roll for an encounter again?
6)Does armour deflect injuries? So, if I am wearing a leather curiass on my torso and I get hit in that location for two HP's, do I cross it off the repair track of the armour instead of taking damage? Similarly, if bitten by a snake on the hand, will my armour prevent me from being poisoned?
7)If using a two handed weapon in combat does it take damage from both Main and Off weapon hit locations?
8)Is elixirs the same as brews?
9)When taking a brew or potion and it says add (+3) or what ever to dice roll, should it mean to add it to the target total, because if you are using it whilst making a test, the last thing you want to do is add it to the dice roll.
10)Do you also find that the last thing on the character sheet to fill in is the characters name? Why is it so hard to come up with a name? Any good random name generators online?

Sooo many questions.. enjoying the game though. Thanks for you help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
3. Not exactly, but they are unintuitive. +DEF and Def for example aren't the same thing in D100.
4. There's the +DEF - it adds to all your defensive rolls (basically universal armour) but isn't useful until you have at least 1 full point.
5. No, you don't roll for a second encounter. If you didn't kill the original monster it'll still be there, but the dungeon doesn't repopulate.
6. DEF value directly subtracts from damage done to a given area, and you can further deflect up to two points of damage by using the Repair Track per injury. See Combat step 5.
7. Yes, 2H weapons can block both locations 6 and 7.
8. No. Brews are temporary. Elixirs are permanent.
9. You should add the value to your characteristic. i.e. Str 50 > 53.
10. Yup. My character remains nameless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) The "+" for various items are for the rare situations where you find items/equipment that grant bonuses.

Example A: Roll a 100 on Table TC (LEGENDARY Armor), Roll an 88 on Table A (Scale Mail Gloves), and Roll 74 on Table L (LEGEND of the Dragon). This would result in a:
Scale Mail Gloves of the Dragon: DEF column would be 3 (normal), DMG column would be +3 (Legendary bonus)

Example B: Roll a 51 on Table TB (Greater Armor), Roll a 28 on Table A (Leather Boots)
Roll a 52 on Table TC (Superior Armor), Roll a 62 on Table A (Mail Coif)
This would all result in:
Greater Leather Boots: DEF column would be 0 AND +.4 for recording at the bottom of that column as DB (defense bonus)
Superior Mail Coif: DEF column would be 2 AND +.6 for recording at the bottom of that column as DB (defense bonus)

Total DB would be .4 + .6 = 1. See page 9 of V2.1 rulebook for discussion on DEF vs DB (defense bonus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Lunsford
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
My character remains nameless.

You could just go with "The Nameless One", ala Planescape Torment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sjliver wrote:
3) The "+" for various items are for the rare situations where you find items/equipment that grant bonuses.

Example A: Roll a 100 on Table TC (LEGENDARY Armor), Roll an 88 on Table A (Scale Mail Gloves), and Roll 74 on Table L (LEGEND of the Dragon). This would result in a:
Scale Mail Gloves of the Dragon: DEF column would be 3 (normal), DMG column would be +3 (Legendary bonus)

Example B: Roll a 51 on Table TB (Greater Armor), Roll a 23 on Table A (Leather Cap)
Roll a 52 on Table TC (Superior Armor), Roll a 62 on Table A (Mail Coif)
This would all result in:
Greater Leather Cap: DEF column would be 0 AND +.4 for recording at the bottom of that column as DB (defense bonus)
Superior Mail Coif: DEF column would be 2 AND +.6 for recording at the bottom of that column as DB (defense bonus)

Total DB would be .4 + .6 = 1. See page 9 of V2.1 rulebook for discussion on DEF vs DB (defense bonus).

Thank you for this explanation. I was unsure how the +.8 bonus would work on my armor. However, I think there's a slight problem with your example: you've got a cap and a coif. both are headgear, so you would only be able to equip one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
Thank you for this explanation. I was unsure how the +.8 bonus would work on my armor. However, I think there's a slight problem with your example: you've got a cap and a coif. both are headgear, so you would only be able to equip one of them.
Quite right, lol! I changed it to Leather Boots, above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great answers, thank you.

Just to clarify, can snake bites on the hand be absorbed by the armour up to the value of 2?

If your defence bonus is a fraction of 1, does it get rounded up/down? still not clear on this one.

Working our way through Training Quest 2 and it seems to me that the -40 encounter modifier seems a bit high. As the goal is to loot weapons from your kills resulting from combat, the first monster to have a weapon to loot is the Gobalotes (roll 31-33) which means you would need to roll a 71 or higher in order to meet one. So far all I seem to encounter are giant this and that.

The Goblin Warlock has Pack as a Speciality, this must be a mistake as it's a single creature. True?

I think I may call my adventurer the Rat Exterminator!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Armour protects for its given DEF value for that hit location. So if you have 4 DEF on your hands, the first four points of damage to that hit location are always negated. If you have DEF 1 hand armour, only the first point of damage would be stopped. Either way you can choose to avoid up to two more points of damage by using the repair track, if you have armour in that hit location.

DEF + (Defence Bonus) rounding isn't explained in the rules as far as I can tell. I've been going with it's not helpful except in full points, i.e. you'd need at least 1 DEF+ for it to do anything.

You'll get weapons from other things too, not just monsters - like the Find table from searching, geographic events, etc.

Goblin Warlock having Pack is a typo, you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for that particular quest don't you also get to roll on the weapon chart if you find an objective room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think for Training Quest Two it is like Training Quest One where by you can only gain your objectives (weapons) by looting which can only take place when you defeat a monster. Any weapons found don't count. At least thats how I understood it from the Flying Solo video.

Okay, ready for some more questions?...

1) Does it cost time to retrace your steps if you have to backtrack?
2) Shields don't have the word DEF in the Def column, just a number, why is that? Is it because it will only take that many hits before it is destroyed?

I understand the defence rules now regarding armour, so thanks for that. My wife found a special cloak which had a +3 DMG bonus, so I'm guessing she adds this to all her damage dice rolls.

This game is very well thought out, but we are getting a little bogged down waiting for encounters armed with weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ does say that for quest 2 (the one where you must find weapons), you do roll on the weapon table when you find an objective item.

Your other questions:

1 - You always shade a time space each turn, whether you move into a new room or an already-mapped room. So yes.

2 - Shields don't work like any other defense item. They have no DEF or DB, but simply allow you to deflect damage from any location onto the shield, with the further benefit that you only shade half a damage pip to the shield per HP absorbed. The number assigned to each shield is not a DEF number but rather the maximum number of HP the shield can absorb per attack (so a kite shield can absorb up to 4 HP per attack; in this case you would shade two pips to its damage track).

EDIT: Looking again, I see there is a distinction between an objective item and an objective room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, backtracking costs 1 Time per space traversed.

Shields have a S-rating. It's not well documented in the rules, but it isn't DEF or DEF+. Shields can protect against any hit location for up to their rating, and absorb 2 hits of damage per pip instead of one.

If you get a Legendary item that has +(Stat), yes you get that bonus as long as you wear the item. In the case of +3 DMG, you'd get that for every attack, with any weapon.

Any time you get an 'Objective Item' result from a Treasure Table and your quest was 'find X of Y', where Y has its own Treasure Table, you may choose to roll on that table instead of taking the generic Objective Item reward. So for Training II, you'd be allowed to roll a Weapon for those entries.

The Oil allotments are not balanced against many quest lengths, so you may well run into difficulties there (not having enough time to complete a quest with the available resources), just a heads up. The training quests are generally fine but some of the future quests are questionable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding the objective items in the treasure tables, we haven't come across those items yet, unlucky for us. With each having a spread of 30 you have a roughly 1 in 3 chance of finding an objective token to count towards your goal. Thats cool.

I was wondering about the allotments of oil, seemed a bit low.

I'm eager to find a shield now, my wife is lucky, she found a forge and got quite a horde of items.

Thanks guys for your help in making things clearer. Happy Gaming :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Are you remembering to Search after you've dealt with any monsters / geographic features? Most of your loot will come from Searching. Also worth noting is that Red rooms give you a +10 bonus to the Find Table, Green +5 and Blue +20. Those make a big difference on what you might get.

Good luck! I bet this is even more fun with a friend, even though it's solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We always search, but forget sometimes to add the room die roll bonuses.

I play the game with my wife, we both have made a character each and are running seperate quests. But we take it in turns to take our turn. So if it is my turn I roll the dice and my wife looks up the tables and reads the captions. And vice-versa. It would seem though that she has the luck of the Irish on her side as she always seems to roll high when it matters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I can relate. My mum decided she wanted to help with one of my sessions and ended up doing all the die rolls, and I swear every single door ended up open/unlocked. It was ridiculous. When I play I end up plagued by nothing but jammed, locked, trapped or sealed doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jeez, what a slog Training Quest 2 turned out to be. I died once, ran out of oil and only managed to find the last objective item by a lucky re-roll (using a fate point) on the Treasure A table after finding a treasure behind a curtain.

So, what happens if....

you get to the bottom of the combat track?
you use up all the slots in your backpack?
you use up all the slots in your unequipped potions and non slot items?
you use up all the spell book slots?

How hard is it to build reputation? I'm guessing that, as you can't buy it, it has something to do with the quests you go on.

Out of the three characteristics, which would you say would be your choice for the 50 value, then 40, then 30?

"I am sick and tired of these Mother Bleep Bleep Giant Rats!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If you complete a Combat Track, you start a new one. There is no limit to the number of times you can get those rewards.

D100 doesn't cover what happens if your inventory/Backpack is full officially, other than being allowed to sell stuff off between Quests. (Personal House Rule) I have decided for my own games that I can toss away anything I've got for a new shiny while in the dungeon, but there's no 'undo', I can't come back for that item later if I change my mind.

Spells known (recorded in the Spellbook) can be forgotten at any point, so if you're full up and want to learn a new spell, you simply remove one of the old ones and the new takes its former slot. That's the only way of 'rearranging' your Spellbook.

REP comes mostly from the Combat Track early on - each time you kill your 36th monster of a Combat Track set, you gain one REP. Higher level quests sometimes give REP, but they're usually too difficult for new characters to complete successfully.

In standard D100, I'd say DEX gets the nod as the most useful Characteristic to start with 50 in. Ranged Weapons mean you don't take a penalty from Monsters with the Fly ability (and there is no equal disadvantage for ranged weapons unless you're playing with my Expanded Monster Table.) There's a slight downside that Ranged weapons are far less common off the Weapon Table and top out at +3 to Strength's melee +4, and you can't use a Shield with any of them except Spear. Dexterity is useful for more than combat though - it's also critical for Escaping Combat, something you'll almost certainly need to do early on, and for various Traps and Locks. Strength is almost as good to have a high score in and you'll want both to be high as you head into the mid-game. Strength is useful for a few Traps, bashing through Jammed Doors, blocking Monster escapes, and most weapons. It's also used to fuel Spells, if you're crazy enough to use 'em. Intelligence is the least useful Characteristic for the early game and the most difficult one to succeed with a 50 in. I've stuck it at 30 and been just fine. It is the most difficult Characteristic to raise naturally since so few tests use it. V.3 may be better since Strength loss is said to be temporary, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure if that makes a Spellcaster build viable or not.

TL: DR - I like 50 Dex, 40 Str and 30 Int as my build.

If you're tired of Giant Rats (I know the feeling), try my Expanded Encounter Table (-39 to 120) and maybe the companion Expanded Monster Reaction Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally completed the last of the training missions and have another question. On my last room I managed to find a legendary necklace. It gives me +5 to STR which I am assuming is applied to your Characteristic all the time you are wearing it. But it has a repair value and since it doesn't have a repair track for the neck I also assume it will never get damaged?
Same question for rings. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
Finally completed the last of the training missions and have another question. On my last room I managed to find a legendary necklace. It gives me +5 to STR which I am assuming is applied to your Characteristic all the time you are wearing it. But it has a repair value and since it doesn't have a repair track for the neck I also assume it will never get damaged?
Same question for rings. Thanks.

Rings and amulets will never get damaged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.