GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
84 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

The Quacks of Quedlinburg» Forums » News

Subject: Die Quacksalber von Quedlinburg is coming to the North America from North Star Games!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

We are still working on box images, and official press releases, but I just wanted to let you all know, North Star Games will be releasing Quacksalber in North America later this year.

We are localizing it, so we want to make sure the English is clear and does not cause confusion. We will be changing the title, but we are not sure by how much yet. I can say with 100% certainty that it will not be released as “Die Quacksalber von Quedlinburg” that is not to say it might not be “The Quack of Quedlinburg”, but we are not sure yet. Nothing else should be changing.

We expect it to be released November/December 2018, and will be available where games are sold. The EXPECTED MSRP (still not finalized) is $59.99, when we issue an official press release we will know the final MSRP. Our lack of specific dates right now is based on printing time, and shipping time to get the game to the US, after we have localized it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, we are EXCITED to bring this great game over to North America! THAT WON THE Kennerspiel!

Bruce

EDIT: release date changed to latest estimate, happiness and shouting over Kennerspiel win also added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Charlatans of Charlottesville!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane White
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was subscribed to this game literally only for this announcement, which has come much sooner than I expected. Thanks, North Star Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cryptic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
How about The Quidnuncs of Quinnipiac?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hultquist
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd keep the name as close to the original as possible - "The Quacks of Quedlinburg" or something quite similar. I just think 'Quedlinburg' is such a fun name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dodd
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Merry Christmas!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hultquist wrote:
I'd keep the name as close to the original as possible - "The Quacks of Quedlinburg" or something quite similar. I just think 'Quedlinburg' is such a fun name.

Seconded. "The Quacks of Quedlinburg" retains the fun/unique title while making it palatable for English audiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On another thread there was a suggestion of “The Quack of Quebec” which I like, but no decisions have been made, we also like Quedlinburg, just as a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NorthStarGamesBruce wrote:
Hey all,

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, we are EXCITED to bring this great game over to North America! Now to hope it wins the Kennerspiel!

Bruce
Will you comment on the components? will it use cardboard chips, wooden discs? Played with the BGG library copy and it had some really nice thick plastic pieces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic pieces in the BGG copy were custom. Lincoln, who was responsible for creating them, suggested that BGG might put them in the store if there's demand.

If you have access to a 3D printer, you should also be able to make your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing else should be changing.

For that matter - can you confirm that the chits are the same size/shape as the German edition? This is very important

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moogle1 wrote:

For that matter - can you confirm that the chits are the same size/shape as the German edition? This is very important

I can only tell you “as far as we know” it is exactly the same components as the German version, we are not intentionally changing anything, other than localizing the language and with that the title. However, I will not go on record saying they are the same, since I have learned if our printing is a mm or two off folks are going to be demanding money back because some 3D printed piece does not work. So I can only tell you “we think its the same”, but that is as close as I will confirm before the games are printed and in hand.

- Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sleep
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jondodd82 wrote:
The Hultquist wrote:

Seconded. "The Quacks of Quedlinburg" retains the fun/unique title while making it palatable for English audiences.

I'm partial to 'The Quack Doctors of Quedlinburg' which retains the same meter as the original. Either way, excited to have the chance to play in North America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
However, I will not go on record saying they are the same, since I have learned if our printing is a mm or two off folks are going to be demanding money back because some 3D printed piece does not work.

The voice of experience!!

Thanks for picking this up - it's a really fun game, and I'm excited to see it coming stateside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moogle1 wrote:

I can only tell you “as far as we know” it is exactly the same components as the German version, we are not intentionally changing anything, other than localizing the language and with that the title. However, I will not go on record saying they are the same, since I have learned if our printing is a mm or two off folks are going to be demanding money back because some 3D printed piece does not work. So I can only tell you “we think its the same”, but that is as close as I will confirm before the games are printed and in hand.

- Bruce
any chance for a sticker sheet to use on wooden discs then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:
moogle1 wrote:

- Bruce
any chance for a sticker sheet to use on wooden discs then?

I would assume “no”, but I have also learned “never say never”. Additionally I know that BGG, has cool tiles for other games like Seasons, so that could always be an option, but I am just not sure. Right now we are just taking care of getting the game over here, enhancements can come later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put in another vote for "The Quacks of Quedlinburg". I don't know how the theme could be stretched to fit non-European locations given the art isn't being changed, so some of the other suggestions would make it weird.

Having said that, as an Aussie who grew up in Brisbane, I will wish for a future retheming of the game being named "The Quacks of Queensland", with the mandrakes replaced with bananas, etc. Of course it wouldn't happen, but a bloke can dream...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just being picky here, but it should be The Quack of Quedlinburg, not the Quacks of Quedlinburg (singular, not plural).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loon wrote:
Just being picky here, but it should be The Quack of Quedlinburg, not the Quacks of Quedlinburg (singular, not plural).

Why? I must admit, I have never been taught German, but from what I can see, "Die" is only used before singular female nouns and plural nouns. The plural of quacksalber also appears to be quacksalber.

So from my quick search, either the original title translates to "The (female) Quack of Quedlinburg" or "The Quacks of Quedlinburg". In context, it would seem the game is not referring to a single female charlatan, but to all the players being charlatans, so it sounds like this solves the issue and it locks us into plural Quacksalber (charlatans/quacks).

I admit, I could be very wrong here. Please enlighten me if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Rupinette
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1eep wrote:

I'm partial to 'The Quack Doctors of Quedlinburg' which retains the same meter as the original. Either way, excited to have the chance to play in North America.

I agree that the meter matching is nice, but "quack doctors" is redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you wanted to match meter, it would be better going with "The Witchdoctors of Wildenberg" or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Panzer
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
loon wrote:

Why? I must admit, I have never been taught German, but from what I can see, "Die" is only used before singular female nouns and plural nouns. The plural of quacksalber also appears to be quacksalber.

So from my quick search, either the original title translates to "The (female) Quack of Quedlinburg" or "The Quacks of Quedlinburg". In context, it would seem the game is not referring to a single female charlatan, but to all the players being charlatans, so it sounds like this solves the issue and it locks us into plural Quacksalber (charlatans/quacks).

Correct, "die" in this case is nominative plural (with "der" being the appropriate nominative singular masculine). If "die" would indicate nominative singular feminine, the ending would be "Quacksalberin."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
masque wrote:
Clipper wrote:
loon wrote:

Correct, "die" in this case is nominative plural (with "der" being the appropriate nominative singular masculine). If "die" would indicate nominative singular feminine, the ending would be "Quacksalberin."

Thanks for the clear correction. I was wrong. My German is so rusty. (I think I expected a different ending for it to be plural, something like Quacksalbern.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
The Charlatans of Charlottesville!

I like this one myself.

Or maybe: “The Charlatans of Charleston”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loon wrote:
masque wrote:
Clipper wrote:
loon wrote:

Thanks for the clear correction. I was wrong. My German is so rusty. (I think I expected a different ending for it to be plural, something like Quacksalbern.)

Your instincts are correct, but many masculine nouns ending in -er don’t change in the plural. Another familiar example would be Die Siedler von Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On another thread there was a suggestion of “The Quack of Quebec” which I like, but no decisions have been made, we also like Quedlinburg, just as a word.

You might as well keep Quedlinburg, especially because it’s a real place. Or you can go for the whimsical with The Quacks of Quincy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.