GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,334 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Personal stories down to 1 sanity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some personal stories say “If you get down to 1 sanity/health get the bad consequence”.

What happens if you lose 3 sanity when you’re at 3, for example? Do you go straight from 3 to zero and die or is it implied that you lose sanity one by one and it triggers?

I guess you lose it in a full batch, although the RRG doesn’t seem to specify it. Besides the wording in Spanish says “just 1 sanity”.

This matters for personal consequences that advance doom, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously doubt you'd stop at one if you got hit for 3 and had 3 left. This seems to be against the spirit of the game.

I think it happens if you happen to ever only have 1. If you die it doesn't matter if you have it or not.

Just follow the rule, whatever option is worse for investigators, that's probably the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
I seriously doubt you'd stop at one if you got hit for 3 and had 3 left. This seems to be against the spirit of the game.

I think it happens if you happen to ever only have 1. If you die it doesn't matter if you have it or not.

Just follow the rule, whatever option is worse for investigators, that's probably the rule.

If you’d follow the grim rule, then it would stop at 1 before 0 to trigger things like doom, as I explained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
ogoctopus wrote:

If you’d follow the grim rule, then it would stop at 1 before 0 to trigger things like doom, as I explained.

Yeah I guess I see that, but I don't think you'd stop at 1. I don't have time to look up the rules on it right now. It may be answered in the FAQ. Or you could make an appeal to the designers for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zosete wrote:
Some personal stories say “If you get down to 1 sanity/health get the bad consequence”.

What happens if you lose 3 sanity when you’re at 3, for example? Do you go straight from 3 to zero and die or is it implied that you lose sanity one by one and it triggers?

I guess you lose it in a full batch, although the RRG doesn’t seem to specify it. Besides the wording in Spanish says “just 1 sanity”.

When you lose health, you lose in chunks, not in stages. So if you only had 3 health left and you have to take 3 damage, you drop directly to 0, and does not trigger the personal consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it happened one point at a time, then effects like Resilient wouldn't work.

"Once per round, when you would lose Health, you may test Strength. If you pass, prevent the loss of up to 2 Health."

If it happened one point at a time, you'd never be able to prevent two points of damage with an effect like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
zosete wrote:

No. You don't do that. Health/Sanity are lost immediately and all at once, not in stages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.