Nemesis» Forums » General

Subject: Nemesis or Lifeform? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Brenton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we are approaching crunch time for the Nemesis pledge manager, would anyone care to comment about whether they have backed Nemesis, Lifeform or both? What aspects of each game do you think make them interesting or distinct from one another?

In the interest of context, I went all in on Lifeform, and am trying to decide whether to upgrade my Nemesis pledge as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went all in on Nemesis, but passed on Lifeform. Funny how we differ in decisions, but that's why there are so many different games out there.
I'd rather not discuss any 'negative aspects' of any games, but I will just say Lifeform did not feel right for me in some of their approaches and that Nemesis seemed a more "complete experience."
But it probably comes down to personal tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Trivellato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There was a similar post on the Lifeform forums:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1920216/lifeform-vs-nemesis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab C
France
flag msg tools
mb
The games look really different and don't offer the same kind of experience. Lifeform seems to be a hide and seek, cat and mouse game in the alien universe, Nemesis is crazier than that. It's like playing and watching an epic space horror movie coming to life. It starts calmly then shit starts to happen and it becomes more and more tense and tragic when you come closer to the end. And every game feels different thanks to multiple random elements.
There is as well many ways to play the game : the classic mode with potential traitor, coop, coop/solo campaign, and 2 "free" extensions that offer a whole new experience (it's not just few cards here and there, there are new rulebooks and minis). The art of Nemesis is also top tier, which is not the case of Lifeform in my opinion(I love the board but the design/iconography on the cards is honestly terrible).

To finish I would encourage you to watch some gameplay videos. Many rules have been updated since but it's enough to see the potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
FreeArt wrote:
The games look really different and don't offer the same kind of experience. Lifeform seems to be a hide and seek, cat and mouse game in the alien universe, Nemesis is crazier than that. It's like playing and watching an epic space horror movie coming to life. It starts calmly then shit starts to happen and it becomes more and more tense and tragic when you come closer to the end. And every game feels different thanks to multiple random elements.
There is as well many ways to play the game : the classic mode with potential traitor, coop, coop/solo campaign, and 2 "free" extensions that offer a whole new experience (it's not just few cards here and there, there are new rulebooks and minis). The art of Nemesis is also top tier, which is not the case of Lifeform in my opinion(I love the board but the design/iconography on the cards is honestly terrible).

To finish I would encourage you to watch some gameplay videos. Many rules have been updated since but it's enough to see the potential.

I don't know if your work for Awaken Realms or not, but you do make the game sound exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab C
France
flag msg tools
mb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

I don't know if your work for Awaken Realms or not, but you do make the game sound exciting.

Haha! That's why I suggest to watch playthrough videos on youtube, it might be more valuable than a random opinion of the forum. That said I played the prototype on Tabletop Simulator and I actively follow every single update about the production of the game, that's why I dare to be that vocal and enthousiastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all personal preference and perspective. I'm all in on Nemesis and was easy to pass on Lifeform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brenton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All fair points. I personally think Lifeform looks just as good as Nemesis in its own way. The lack of miniatures means I don’t feel compelled to paint everything before playing

In the end I decided to pick up the basic £70 pledge to get the exclusive stuff. I’ll pick up the terrain and carnomorphs at retail if the game resonates with me. I expect it will, since I’ve been enjoying Lords of Hellas by the same designer. I missed the kickstarter on that one unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I committed to "Nemesis" before the "Lifeform" KS launched. As I'm trying to scale back with retirement looming in a few years, I reluctantly passed on "Lifeform," though there was a time when I'd have gladly sprung for both.

Both games look to provide very satisfying play and I don't believe supporters of either will be disappointed.

I'm looking forward to a couple of comparative reviews from gamers who've played both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Nanaimo
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which movie do you prefer, Alien or Aliens?

My over-generalized speculation is that the games differ with the same distinct styles as the two movies:

-"Lifeform": Alien. Ill-equipped, non-combat trained mining crew uses ingenuity to survive/escape.

-"Nemesis": Aliens. Space Marines find themselves overwhelmed by lethal Alien force, and must use military tactics/training to survive. Luckily, they're armed to the teats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mcgee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool. I missed the Nemesis KS and now it's over with preorders selling for 300% markup. Gotta love KS...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.