kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of us use the “fan” feature of the game pages on BGG? (You know, that little red heart thing at the top.) How often do we fan games?

To find out how many games you have fanned, go to your profile page and do a string search for "fandom" (it's on the right-hand panel).

Poll
Do you use the "fan" feature of the BGG game pages? How many games have you fanned?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
0 (I do not use that feature)
39.5% 109
1-4
22.5% 62
5-9
15.6% 43
10-19
9.1% 25
20-49
8.7% 24
50+
4.7% 13
Voters 276
This poll is now closed.   276 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Fri Jul 6, 2018 6:00 am

If you enjoy these polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

New! If you are female, you can take part in the TGIF Women's Poll. Same questions, but the poll is only open to the 10% of us on BGG who are female or gender-diverse.

Discussion: What do you get out of fanning a game?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly forget the feature exists and should use it more. If I really do like a game I guess its only fair to let the designers know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it sparingly. There are many games that I like, but not enough to consider myself a fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kat, is there an easy way to know how many games you have marked yourself as a fan of? I use the feature but I have no idea how often I've used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Kat, is there an easy way to know how many games you have marked yourself as a fan of? I use the feature but I have no idea how often I've used it.

To find out how many games you have fanned, go to your profile page and do a string search for "fandom" (on the right-hand panel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit:
I am a fan of four games:

C02, London, Scythe and Zulus on the Ramparts.

That could do with updating. C02 is my least favourite Lacerda game so far (it's only awesome vs super mega awesome).

I do have a superfan microbadge though. Vital rules!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I have fanned (is that the right term?) 83 games, 3 designers, 3 artists, 1 publisher, 1 family, 7 expansions, and 11 implementations.

I don't even really know what an "implementation" is in this context, but I've fanned 11 of them!

Obviously I am not fanning for strategic reasons...

83 is about 5% of the total number of games I've rated.

whistle

[Update: It appears that implementations are games. However, not all games are implementations. Is this because most of the games I play are designed, produced, and sold, but not implemented? What is it about a game like Pit that makes it implemented?]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure what it would provide me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
What is it about a game like Pit that makes it implemented?]

Pit is a reimplementation of Commerce (as seen at the top of Pit's BGG page.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use it precisely because I don't see a way in which it adds value for the effort.

BGG has tons of great features that help me keep track of what I own, what I want, what I'm actually spending my time playing, etc. I just don't see what this button does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
35 games probably 36 after I played Downforce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:
I don't use it precisely because I don't see a way in which it adds value for the effort.

Indeed for me "games I'm a fan of" seems too similar to "games I rate highly" to bother trying to make a distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:

BGG has tons of great features that help me keep track of what I own, what I want, what I'm actually spending my time playing, etc. I just don't see what this button does.

I was about to type something to this effect. What does being a fan do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:
I was about to type something to this effect. What does being a fan do?

I also wonder what being a fan does! Normally I do more research before I put up a poll, but I was lazy and thought the hive mind would inform us within a few hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the fan of exactly one game: Firefly: The Game. I guess that's fitting because it's my most played game (though my stats on here don't reflect that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:
What does being a fan do?

AFAIK it merely increments the number of fans for the item. I.e. a coarser (binary) way of rating games (if you love it, then say you're a fan; if you don't love it, then don't say you're a fan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Indeed for me "games I'm a fan of" seems too similar to "games I rate highly" to bother trying to make a distinction.

I'll tell you what the distinction is for me. Games I'm a fan of are games I tend to talk about enthusiastically to other people. I might really enjoy a game, but I don't take the initiative to talk about it to others. Then it gets a high rating, but I don't "fan" it. And on the flip side, there are games I really think are interesting, and talk about a lot, but that aren't my very favorite games. (There are no games I'm a fan of that I dislike, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Rudolph
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used it only a few times, never for a game, and one of those was for a kickstarter stretch goal.

Mostly, I just don't think about it, even though there are certainly games I'm a fan of. For those, I generally just subscribe to their forums and call it a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I am a fan of six games.

Pete (wonders which ones they are)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Looks like I am a fan of six games.

Pete (wonders which ones they are)

russ (suggests that Pete simply go to his profile page and search "fan" in his browser, and trusts that Pete can figure it out from there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I'm not a fan of anything. That's a feature I've never used. I'm not sure I've even noticed it, really. I do use the Collection and Subscribed buttons on that same screen.
I'm pretty diligent with objective facts (ownership of a game, playcounts, started tracking with whom I play) but much less so with subjective opinions such as Fan and ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sweeney
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t really use this feature, with the games that I really like I just subscribe to them.

I’m unsure what ‘fanning’ adds extra?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
To find out how many games you have fanned, go to your profile page and do a string search for "fandom" (on the right-hand panel).

...what's a string search and how do I do it?

I know I'm a fan of one game because I just did it to see if I could search for it and maybe find out that I had fan-ed others in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mildthrill wrote:
...what's a string search and how do I do it?

The "Find" function of your web browser. Typically Control/Command-F.

Anyway, it's on the right side of the page, between Board Game Expansion and Marketplace.

Still waiting to hear what this feature is for or does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Still waiting to hear what this feature is for or does.

From your current microbadges, I'd expect you to be more into the "fan" feature!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.