Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonia Browne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
mbmb
With the kickstarter of Snowdonia upon us, I would like to know what is more convenient for ME. I won't have both games since they have almost the same mechanics. The people with whom i play tend to like medium weight euros that can be played idealy in less than an hour (or about and hour), beeing 2 hours a little too much for them. What would you recomend?
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is my big dilemma as well. I originally decided to wait for Alubari: A Nice Cup of Tea to come out to jump into the Snowdonia-verse but now with this big fancy Snowdonia Box set coming to kickstarter, I can't decide what to do. We enjoy medium weight, hour long euros as well.
I can't give advice but I definitely will watch for responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
This is my big dilemma as well. I originally decided to wait for Alubari: A Nice Cup of Tea to come out to jump into the Snowdonia-verse but now with this big fancy Snowdonia Box set coming to kickstarter, I can't decide what to do. We enjoy medium weight, hour long euros as well.
I can't give advice but I definitely will watch for responses.

It all depends on whether Alubari is likely to get aanywhere close to the expansions that Snowdonia already has, I guess... The amount of replayability in Snowdonia's super box is tremendous. Having said that, Alubari might be the slightly better game (the tea/chai really add an interesting layer to the game. (I have played the game a dozen times or so.))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Sietze Kronemeijer
Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just get both cool

I see Alubari as a new scenario big box expansion for Snowdonia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dirksk wrote:
Or just get both cool

Would you recommend getting both to someone who gets 3-4 new games a year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
Dirksk wrote:
Or just get both cool

I have Snowdonia (with quite a number of expansions) and getting Alubari is a no brainer to me.

If you want to get one of them, than have a look at the differences: Snowdonia plays pretty fast once you’ve got the hang of it. So if you don’t want to exceed an hour of playing to often, this is a good choice. It also has very high replay ability, especially the Kickstarter version with all the mini expansions.
Alubari has one of the best box covers out there and it adds a very interesting new mechanism to the game play of Snowdonia. But maybe this game will take a little longer to play more often than not.

Apart from all other things I like about the games, is that the games are very thematically. Even the Welsh weather is part of game play. And so are the pubs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you cannot go wrong with the Big Box of Snowdonia. Love this game. I have most of the scenarios and enough of the promos so for me, so I will be waiting for Alubari
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Sietze Kronemeijer
Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
Dirksk wrote:
Or just get both cool

Snowdonia has more replayability with all the scenarios included in the big box, but the general thought of people who have played Alubari is that it is the better game. Who knows how many expansions Alubari will get.

If you buy 3-4 games a year i would go for Snowdonia. Maybe in a few years when Alubari has proven itself amongst the bigger crowds and when it gets some expansions you can always get Alubari later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think if your group really wants games sub an hour, then neither may be for you.

I would suggest that it would take a good 3-4 games before you got down to the 15-20 mins/player timings and people may have already gone off the length by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll wait for Alubari. I don't own Snowdonia, but the Alubari theme appeals more to me and I don't like the graphics of Snowdonia 3rd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Where have you seen the graphics for the 3rd edition?

I haven't even seen a mock-up of the new expanded board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candacis wrote:
I'll wait for Alubari. I don't own Snowdonia, but the Alubari theme appeals more to me and I don't like the graphics of Snowdonia 3rd edition.

I wonder about their choice of graphic art direction also. I wonder what they're doing with the board and they're being very close to the vest about the question. I can't say i would let that sway my decision until we can see the board. Still i think it would take a big fail in the art direction to move me away from Snowdonia. It was one of our first euros and we're kinda loyal to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.