Subject: Play balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Just a genuine and straightforward question: Now the game has been out a few years, how do players find the play balance? I have nowhere near enough games of NR2:NAF under my belt to judge (although it does seem the Germans have a rougher time of it, especially if Malta is active for any length of time), but how do people find the play balance?

Despite it being a major focus of gamers these days, I have no problem with a game being harder to win for one side or the other - sometimes the most satisfying victories (and gaming experiences) are when the underdog pulls off a close win!

But I was just genuinely curious as to how people find the game overall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commentary on the "Balance Issue" in historical conflict simulations [HCSs] or "war games" from my BGG Profile page:

"Wargames" are about historical "feel" for me rather than any sense of playing a more or less "balanced game." If an actual historical situation -- after analysis -- was determined to be roughly 55/45 then I would hope the designers would strive to build that into their design. Likewise, if an actual historical situation -- after analysis -- was determined to be roughly 75/25 [something along the lines of "Case White," Germany's 1939 invasion of Poland] then I would hope the designers would strive to build that into their design. Both of these designs would then be an "honest" interpretation of history. I look at every HCS as an attempt by the design team to tell a "story" about a slice of history. It is rather like reading a book, except one gets to manipulate the flow of events within a framework that is as historically accurate as possible, given the overall design parameters and other practical constraints. Like books, some simulations are better at telling the story than are others."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you should ask that question, as I was pondering this exact topic recently, since the game is now out of print and slated for a new P500 reprint (with some extra bells and whistles).

I have one gamer that wrote to me a few weeks ago that is adamant that the Germans do not stand a chance as they cannot possibly crack Tobruk. I beg to differ (look at how long the local historically held out!), but I am open to suggestions for any needed tweaks (I have an idea for Tobruk already that should not tip the scales too much).

Besides this gentlemen, I did not get much input about the play-babalnce of the main game. For the Crete mini-game I have a few fellows that said the British do not stand a chance, but I beg to differ there too: You do have to master the victory conditions as the British, and plan for the "long haul" game.

But besides these I did not get any "complaints". So if it ain't broke... For now the Tobruk tweak I am looking at will be only as an optional rule. And perhaps also a "Malta activation" tweak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

I have one gamer that wrote to me a few weeks ago that is adamant that the Germans do not stand a chance as they cannot possibly crack Tobruk. I beg to differ (look at how long the local historically held out!), but I am open to suggestions for any needed tweaks (I have an idea for Tobruk already that should not tip the scales too much).

I've played the first half of the turn track many times and I disagree with this other person's assertion. NRNA plays quite variably to me. Sometimes the Axis takes Tobruk early, not long after Rommel comes into play. Sometimes it falls later, on a more historical timetable. It's certainly very vulnerable at some point.

I think NRNA play balance is pretty good, although my assessment is qualified by a lack of plays of the full game that have gone deep on the turn track. Activation and deactivation of Malta can affect the pace and timing of the campaign, but I don't think the extremes (Malta inactive for a long time or Malta active for a long time) are nearly as decisive as others had led me to believe. Rommel's heavy tanks in combination with two flak units can accomplish a lot with limited supplies, and the British never face the same supply crunch that the Axis can face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
htjester wrote:
licinius wrote:

I've played the first half of the turn track many times and I disagree with this other person's assertion. NRNA plays quite variably to me. Sometimes the Axis takes Tobruk early, not long after Rommel comes into play. Sometimes it falls later, on a more historical timetable. It's certainly very vulnerable at some point.

I think NRNA play balance is pretty good, although my assessment is qualified by a lack of plays of the full game that have gone deep on the turn track. Activation and deactivation of Malta can affect the pace and timing of the campaign, but I don't think the extremes (Malta inactive for a long time or Malta active for a long time) are nearly as decisive as others had led me to believe. Rommel's heavy tanks in combination with two flak units can accomplish a lot with limited supplies, and the British never face the same supply crunch that the Axis can face.

Thanks!

The one optional rule (optional rule = not playtested enough so don’t complain if it does jot work right, it’s optional, LOL!) I am looking to add is to limit the number of Fortification levels you can add to Tobruk when isolated to two per turn (the same as the Port supply Capacity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.