Aranubis
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Steenkerque - 3 August 1692
A playtesting Session

The Battle of Steenkerque was an egangment between France and the League of Augsburg during the Nine Years War. The Duke of Luxembourg, commander of the French Army was attacked by William III of Orange, King of England and Scottland in the Southern Netherlands, 50 kilometres south-west of Brussels. The starting position for the Allies is not the best. Most of their infantry is behind the cavalry and the cavalry is blocked by rough terrain.

Only the advanced guard under the Duke of Wurttemberg is in a good attacking position. The battle started with an artillery barrage against the French, with the first hits in the combat. But the Infantry attack achieved nothing and the French drove the Allies back to the hills from where their attack started. There the allies consolidated their line and even broke down an attack by the Piemont Brigade through defensive fire, but also lost a unit of Dutch Dragoons.
0:1

William now activated his heavy cavalry and attacked the French left wing. But they could hold the line and even reclaim their position destroying the Cavalry unit. Also the English Elites in the center were under heavy attacks but they couldn’t make much damage but at least they were holding the ground.
1:1

Now it was the time for the French heavy cavalry. The cuirassiers charged in the English right wing, breaking the line, even destroying the English artillery
1:3

The French Infantry was not so lucky. The English cleared the small wood (Blois de Moriau), eliminated the French Front Line in the center and the William III started now a Cavalry attack on both flanks. Unfortunately the English Dragoons failed their charge and and got annihilated after a failed their moral check when trying to withdraw from the French counter attack.
2:4

After first successes the French lost their momentum and their front line was now too thin, so they activated their reserves. The Duke of Choiseul renewed the French center and took a strong position in the woods. This enabled the French cavalry to regroup.

On the Dutch right wing both side now started cavalry manoevers. A French Cuirassier attack against the position of the Duke of Wurttemberg and his heavy cannons ended in disaster.
3:4

Another French charge was avoided but the agile Dutch cavalry.Luxembourg now wanted the victory, ordered a general advance of his army, even the French royal guard was sent to the front. Maybe this was too hasty. Württemberg could win the engagement with Choiseul and clear the woods again.
4:4

Now it was a really close battle, the next VP would decide the outcome and the French really wanted to win. Luxembourg used his CAP advantage and attacked with everything. His Elites in the center caused serious damage but couldn’t rout the enemy. A French cavalry attacked forced Dutch cavalry to withdraw and his Dragoons weren’t able to hit the enemy.

This attack showed, the situation was maybe too risky and Luxembourg now retreated his front line to form a new line with reserves from the far left wing. The last French unit to step back from the enemy was a cavalry unit and since two CAPs where left, it was decided to Fire and Move. During this retreat action no hit was rolled, but a 5, and on the enemy hex the Leader Count of Solms was located, this meant Leader Casualty check. All eyes on the die, the result was a 1. Solms was dead and the Victory was French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Battle of Steenkerque - A playtesting Session
Good report and lovely pictures. Marvelous use for "Risk" figures! Nicely painted too.

Did you make the hex grid from a single sheet of something, or assemble it from individual hex tiles? It almost looks like craft store felt.

Thanks for the report and the visual delights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aranubis
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Battle of Steenkerque - A playtesting Session
I put the hex grid on a Grass Mat (for Model Railroading) and cut it to the right size. Some spare material i used to create the "hills" and i will put some of it also on the bases of the units
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Aranubis. Very nicely done; you are inspiring me to imitate your fine work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the post. I am looking forward to this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.