Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gaining a forgotten power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Can a spirit gain as his new power one of his own (base) power he had forgotten ?
A strict reading of the rules would let me guess no (as there's no mention of it), but since forgotten minor and major powers go to their discard and may then be gained again, that would suggest the power is not remove from the game either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomrefuse wrote:
Hello,

Can a spirit gain as his new power one of his own (base) power he had forgotten ?
A strict reading of the rules would let me guess no (as there's no mention of it), but since forgotten minor and major powers go to their discard and may then be gained again, that would suggest the power is not remove from the game either.


Nope.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OTOH, that's an interesting possibility for a future event card.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you Forget a unique power, you put it under your Spirit Panel (p. 18), not in the appropriate discard pile. Nothing can currently bring it back from there.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
When you Forget a unique power, you put it under your Spirit Panel (p. 18), not in the appropriate discard pile. Nothing can currently bring it back from there.


You could probably house rule such a thing, though. Maybe say that you when you learn a power, you can relearn one of your Forgotten starting powers instead of looking at the top four cards of a power deck and choosing one.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation in which you'd want to do that (you probably Forgot that power for a reason), but I don't imagine it would break game balance or anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sheeted_kid wrote:
dthurston wrote:
When you Forget a unique power, you put it under your Spirit Panel (p. 18), not in the appropriate discard pile. Nothing can currently bring it back from there.


You could probably house rule such a thing, though. Maybe say that you when you learn a power, you can relearn one of your Forgotten starting powers instead of looking at the top four cards of a power deck and choosing one.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation in which you'd want to do that (you probably Forgot that power for a reason), but I don't imagine it would break game balance or anything.


Well I'm still fairly new to the game, so the case never arose yet. But I imagined that one could be coerced to forget a power from blighted island effect, and would want to reclaim it in the next growth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, forgetting a power is supposed to be a sacrifice of part of the spirit - you lose one aspect of yourself as you change and grow. As such, the decision of what to forget is pretty important and interesting. Having an easy way to recover a forgotten power removes a lot of the weight of that decision and, I feel, would be pretty athematic.

I wouldn't want it to be an option for me, but if you feel it's right for you, go for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.