Hide
2 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Technological superiority and the droid units available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Innes Clatworthy
msg tools
So, when the core set was released Technical support (+1 movement for all droids and for an action give focus, remove effect or heal 3 on other) in the technical superiority imperial deck was only usable with probe droids.

Now, several expansions later I have access to the following:
- Probe droids
- IG-88
- Sentry droids
- HK Assasin droids

I am playing a core campaign against Onar, Drokkatta, Verena, MHD. I have included expansion content (units, shop items, heroes, etc.) all the way up to Heart of the Empire

I have been using Sentry droids in my past few missions and it has been pretty devastating for the rebels, they are having trouble dealing with them and I managed to win the last mission mainly because of the heals from two groups of sentries. The focus ability was also pretty nasty.

What is worse is I just unlocked adaptive weapons that allows me to change 1 die to any other in attack, which I expect will increase my damage output considerably.

I don't want to let the game become too one-sided, but also don't want to hobble myself too much and hand them easy victories. Has anybody else had any experience of a similar situation and how did you find the campaign progressed with more heal options? Should I limit myself to a certain number of droids, say one unit of sentries only and one probe droid?

Having said all that, I am only winning by one mission in the campaign so I am not dominating. Also MHD just bought the Deathhammer pistol and the heroes are gaining new abilities all the time.

The last mission we played was Imperial hospitality, and I feel that what helped me win was that the group split up a bit and was a little bit unfocused, and therefore the prisoner was pretty isolated when the door was opened. I managed to wound three of them then take down the prisoner with fire from the sentry droids. If they were a bit more cohesive I feel I would have been ripped to shreds. What also helped was having experimental arms on the Royal guards, allowing a guaranteed stun.

I know its unlikely anybody will have a totally similar situation, but it would be interesting to see how the availability of droid units has affected the Tech. superiority deck and if people feel it is now unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Imperial hospitality is a tough mission either way.
The one time I did it, it was very difficult for the rebels. They almost made it but a ISB infiltrator got lucky with the final shot he was able to take before the prisoner would make it to the exit. He had to roll well for range and he did.

From the sound of it, I feel like its quite balanced still since both sides are getting better things. And they know which units you heavily rely on so they know what to expect and can plan for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.