p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Zapped by the Wall-o-Text spell.
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a wargame you sold or traded away long ago that you wish you had back again? Or one you passed up when it was available and wish you had grabbed when you could? Maybe there was such a game, and you did finally get a copy of it. What then? Was it as good as you hoped it'd be?

A few of my stories:

The Battle of the Bulge. The first history-based wargame I ever bought, back in 1970 or so. In 1981, I figured it had been "fired" by the new version, so I got rid of the old one. Many years later, I missed the original, so I bought a copy, played it, and loved it. The board was a little warped, so I bought another copy.

Gunslinger. A stretch to call it a wargame, but I owned this at least two or three times. Only ever played it solo, but still I liked it a lot. Kinda wish I had a copy now.

Magic Realm. Well, as long as we're stretching the definition ... I bought this when it was new but never did much with it. Years later, I found it had become a cult classic, and I started wanting a copy, so I finally got one for a good price. Actually managed to learn most of the rules and play it several times. It's a unique experience.

Bull Run. I bought this when it was new and liked it well enough; it reminded me of old-school hex-and-counter games from the 1960s. Many years later, I grabbed a replacement copy in a trade, just because I had a thing for Richard Hamblen designs. Haven't yet played it again, though.

There are more, but that's enough for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My most interesting one was SPI’s Battles for the Ardennes. Sold it off, then about ten years later I decided I really wanted it back. Found a copy online (not from my buyer) and got it. The copy I got was the exact same copy I had sold years before. I know this because some of the notes I made were still in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Gunslinger. Wish I still had, though I've house-ruled Cowboys: The Way of the Gun enough that it scratches the "Hollywood" western itch for me. Truth is I probably wouldn't play Gunslinger much

Panzer Leader simply because it was my first wargame. I suspect I would not like it much any more. But I wish I had that cool cover on my bookcase.

Thats about it, I've managed to hold on to, through dozens of moves, most of the games I really liked. My current collection has new possibilities, and long shots, cause you never know. But I am trying to make more time to revisit the ones I've loved in the past
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing Gulf Strike (third edition, with the Desert Storm expansion) in a game store as a kid and thinking it was really cool but not being able to afford it. I've owned and gotten rid of a couple of different editions now, I'm sure it's a great game and that's still a sexy box cover, but I just don't have the time and space for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, "Old Flame" wargames are those titles I absolutely adored, but when I look at them now, I experience a flash of that excitement...only to realize that it's mostly nostalgia and that I'm glad I moved on. Still, there's that tinge of regret that I'm not as excited in such a sustained way as I once was.

In that vein, here are my worthies. Just understand that when I open the box and set the game up, I'll fondle the components and maybe even read the rules, only to pack it up and put it away without playing it. For the ones I've sold, it's because I did this just too many times.

PanzerBlitz
Red Star / White Star
War and Peace
The Guns of August
Air Force and Dauntless
Air War: Modern Tactical Air Combat -- sold both SPI and TSR/SPI versions
Fury in the West -- sold both the Battleline and AH versions
War in Europe and War In The East (Second Edition) -- sold them
Highway to the Reich (first and second editions) -- sold both my punched and mint copies
Atlantic Wall -- sold it
Bloody April: The Battle of Shiloh, 1862 -- sold it
Wellington's Victory: Battle of Waterloo Game – June 18th, 1815 -- sold both the SPI and TSR/SPI version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it would be Squad Leader, I fell in love with her on the model shop shelf. As a kid I hadn't the money to attract her to me.
Years later ebay came along and remembering her name I looked her up. Then married her younger sister ASL and never looked back. Its what got me into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945

I actually preordered it back in the day, couldn't get my head around the rules and sold it later the same year (2005 IIRC).

Then, earlier this, in my ongoing quest to find good WWII PTO games, I reacquired it and with some help of a BGG friend (thanks Wendell) finally figured the game out and it is totally AWESOME!

It is, IMO, the most playable, satisfying WWII PTO strategic game that exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Rise of the Luftwaffe is about the only game I got rid of.
Sold it to a buddy who liked it more, and regretted it since.

Taught me never to sell something that wasn't a duplicate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
calandale wrote:

You know it is reissued as Wild Blue Yonder ? (at $89 I think it is pricy)

I passed up Blitzkrieg; and I sold Elric (is that a wargame?) Later on, I read several of Moorcocks books, and started to regret that sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da Pyrate’s Younger & More Handsome Brother
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945

I actually preordered it back in the day, couldn't get my head around the rules and sold it later the same year (2005 IIRC).

Then, earlier this, in my ongoing quest to find good WWII PTO games, I reacquired it and with some help of a BGG friend (thanks Wendell) finally figured the game out and it is totally AWESOME!

It is, IMO, the most playable, satisfying WWII PTO strategic game that exists.

I agree.

I found the developer, Adam Starkeweather, incredibly helpful and supportive in the way he answered my questions about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I owned ASL including multiple modules, but alas never played it, and purged it (along with 99% of all my stuff) in 2005 during a big move. I had nostalgia for original SL and continuing curiosity about ASL, so last year I got into Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit and am playing it regularly. Maybe eventually I'll take the full plunge into full ASL, but meanwhile ASLSK is good and has tons of scenarios.

I miss various others of the wargames I got rid of and have reacquired a few. E.g. I enjoyed re-playing A House Divided and Carrier last year. Carrier's rules are a product of their time, as I remembered. Playing Carrier again made me think more about eventually getting Tokyo Express again, but I've not done so.

I also got and enjoyed playing the $2.95 black-and-white pocket reprint of Ogre (I owned the original 1977 one and played a lot with friends long long ago).

I keep thinking it would be fun to play the Ambush! series again. I enjoyed them all back in the day.

There are many others I have nostalgia for, but no plans to reacquire because I try to be realistic about whether they'd get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
avdtweel wrote:
calandale wrote:

You know it is reissued as Wild Blue Yonder ? (at $89 I think it is pricy)

I do. What I didn't know was that actually made it through publication.
I thought I was pre-ordered. Probably chose not to due to GMT's sale limbo -
it's heavily cut into my purchases from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time parting with a game but once I do, I never really miss it. Not sure if that says something about me or just that I have enough other games to filll the void.

The Fast Carriers is probably the only one that qualifies. Not because I miss it per se. Rather because I never intended to part with it. Loaned it out to a buddy when I went off to college and I didn’t come home after graduation. I guess it was a double loss....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
I have a hard time parting with a game but once I do, I never really miss it. Not sure if that says something about me or just that I have enough other games to filll the void.

I suspect it says something about all of us. Nostalgia is a sweet longing and brings back wonderful memories, but we know it's ultimately nothing but a siren call. There's no choice but to keep moving ahead. And the game on the table right now is the only one delivering the joy of wargaming.

When I do regret having gotten rid of a game, and start wanting it back years later, it's because I'm remembering all the potential I saw in it way back when. I had big dreams of playing it to death, modding it, finding good friends to play it with, and so on. But life got in the way, and those things never happened. Part of me still wishes they had happened. (People who live for today and make the most of their experiences while they're fresh probably don't end up with many such regrets.)

What might have worked when I was in my teens or twenties, though, won't work now. There's no point trying to force it. I've changed, and my life circumstances are all different. So I have to go with what fits now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
Honestly part of the reason I don't get rid of old games that I doubt I will play more often is because it's a pain to sell them (though I do sell some) and I can't bring myself to trash a game (or a book, but those are easier to give away).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Honestly part of the reason I don't get rid of old games that I doubt I will play more often is because it's a pain to sell them (though I do sell some) and I can't bring myself to trash a game (or a book, but those are easier to give away).

Twice in the past I've made that easier on myself by offering all my games as an indivisible bundle. I had plenty of desirable games in the mix, but the buyer had to take all or none, and someone was always willing to take them all. That way I didn't make much and didn't lose much, and my problem became someone else's windfall. I cleared the slate, and I could get off to a fresh start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been highly interested in submarines so I tend to collect sub games (and books). I had GDW's SSN new and some years later sold it off. Not too long ago I bought it again and I'm pretty sure the copy I got is the original one I sold!

Other than that I find I don't miss them once sold. I'm getting older and my tastes have shifted so I'm now far more into shorter simpler rules and "bits" such as blocks, figures. I'm for certain done with stacks of 1/2" counters in any new game. Also it seems like many others I'm downsizing to something realistic and manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having sold off my initial copies of SPI's Swords & Sorcery and Freedom in the Galaxy (and so much more) when I went to college many moons ago, I reacquired both when I decided to get back into gaming a few years back. I got them both unpunched, though FitG was a bargain-bin pickup on eBay with a defective counter sheet, so it will perhaps never be punched, not unless I get another set.

In both cases, they're instant trips down memory lane, paper time machines that take me to a magical, wonderful, and generally happy place -- my own childhood.

Reading everything in the boxes as an adult, I love how fully realized both game's universes are, and I thoroughly enjoy the fully indulged silliness of S&S. In retrospect, it might have profited from being an area movement game, but no matter. FitG still seems to be too much work for too little payoff, an unwieldy mini-monster in its way, but the map remains an inspiration, beautiful beyond words.

I mull getting Divine Right for similar reasons, though I remember it being really very playable. But the anniversary edition appears to have been a mini-catastrophe, and the latest proposed reprint appears to be foundering under a combination of mismanagement and metastasizing fan service. Perhaps some memories are best left as just that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
Having sold off my initial copies of SPI's Swords & Sorcery and [thin

Reading everything in the boxes as an adult, I love how fully realized both game's universes are, and I thoroughly enjoy the fully indulged silliness of S&S. In retrospect, it might have profited from being an area movement game, but no matter.

I mull getting Divine Right for similwr reasons, though I remember it being really very playable. But the anniversary edition appears to have been a mini-catastrophe, and the latest proposed reprint appears to be foundering under a combination of mismanagement and metastasizing fan service. Perhaps some memories are best left as just that.

Sent you a BGG mail...

About S&S, I don't think it would have worked well as an area game; some games tried to redesign is as such and it floundered. My own solution: double the allowed unit stacking, and voilà! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that "it's never too late to have a happy childhood". I'm working on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kendra
United States
Northampton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 1988 we bought our home and in the process of moving around 18 of my games got lost in the shuffle. I wish I still had a few of them including Flat Top, Storm over Arnhem, Panzer Command, The Longest Day and the first wargame I got back in 1967, Guadalcanal. I know I could pick a few of these up on the Geek Market but since I got back into wargaming after I retired the selection of new games is fantastic and I have added quite a few to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallye72 wrote:
I'm for certain done with stacks of 1/2" counters in any new game.

This. For any new game, half-inch counters automatically push them in the "probably not getting this because I'm probably not punching and playing this" pile. I have a few I keep for nostalgia (like those mentioned), and a very few others because I like the design (like Beyond Waterloo, which didn't need them so small considering it's area movement), but generally, it better be 9/16 or bigger. As is, I dislike mixed sets that advertise "just some of the counters are half-inch!" If you recognize the problem, stop with the half-inch half-measures already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
Rallye72 wrote:
I'm for certain done with stacks of 1/2" counters in any new game.

This. For any new game, half-inch counters automatically push them in the "probably not getting this because I'm probably not punching and playing this" pile.

LOL. That makes me remember the opposite attitude I had in the 1970s. And even more recently.

My first real wargames were Waterloo and The Battle of the Bulge. But I had bought Kriegspiel as a stepping-stone game, and I winced at the big unit-counters. Reminded me of those extra-big crayons and pencils they used to give to the youngest kids in school.

So my attitude became "Big counters are for noobs" (though we didn't use that word, or even "newbie" back then). I didn't lose the attitude even when I bought PanzerBlitz and its spin-offs. I wished the unit-counters had been smaller, but I guessed maybe they had to be big to include all the info.

Around 1984, my old attitude came back when I bought Victory in the Pacific. The game looked juvenile to me with its extra-big counters and bright-colored mapboard.

Most recently, that came up with A House Divided. I started with the Phalanx version, and those big counters seemed silly to me. If it hadn't been for the good-looking mapboard and nice art, I'd have thought it was a game for kids. Later I bought copies of the two GDW versions, and I think I liked using the first edition, with its small map and half-inch counters, best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
half inch counters are fine, its those tiny hexes you have to arrange them in.

So down to the copy shop to enlarge the board to get inch or more sized hexes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front, I remember numerous times picking it up in a store and just never getting past “Weird concept using cards, must be crap”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.