Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Can you play with 5 and the app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lonny Vega
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Not looking to make someone play the overload, but we can if we have to, I know it only has spots for 4 players but was wondering if its feasible to do 5 without breaking the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am pretty sure it is not possible (or very difficult) to play with 5 players. But if you want to play the game as a committee and decide all the hero actions together as a group, then the game would be played as 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the app, there is a maximum of 4 players. I would play with an overlord because it is superior in terms of gameplay and enjoyment, and because the overlord is the best role in the entire game. In my humble opinion, of course. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
There are essentially 2 ways to play with 5 players:

5th hero variant:

Start the campaign with 4 players and just add a 5th player during quests. There are a few downsides though:

- You can't sell the starting equipment of player 5
- His hero and class, XP and skills are not tracked in the app.
- Special event options that relate to the hero or class of the 5th player can't be used.
- All events that require you to select heroes will not affect the 5th hero (for example training in Tamalir).
- The game can't scale up monster group size (it will essentially become easier).
- The game can't scale up gold rewards.

Also, here are some recommendations on how to modify the game itself:

- Don't let player 5 take his turn before all monster groups were activated.
- Do not end the turn of the player that took his turn before player 5. Instead end the turn of the player after player 5 took his turn. This is especially important if player 5 is the last player to take his turn.
- If player 5 is defeated you have to defeat another player instead.

If you follow these recommendations you should be good.

Gamemaster mode:
Instead of having a 5th hero player, let one player be the gamemaster.

He is essentially dedicated to interacting with the app, reading the flavor texts, building the map, activating monsters and rolling their dice. It might sound a bit boring, bit I often do this and it's quite fun.

On the plus side this also speeds up play, since there is less downtime overall.

I hope this will help you.

Regards,
Delphi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just uploaded a file in BGG (currently in queue for approval) that describes a variant to address this exact scenario.

It covers essentially all points Sebastian just made, but I'm not sure it will cover well the non-campaign app modes (Delve and Challenges). I'd have to to try those modes in order to capture their nuances.

I will let you know when the file will be approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the file has been approved: Playing with 5 Heroes - The Revenant.

As always, feedback is welcomed.

Edit: Moved the file page under the more specific Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice idea and a sophisticated implementation.

The only thing that I don't like are the relatively complex rules about treasure chest and bound item interactions. It's not exactly straight forward and you might need to add some additional exceptions (Map Stone, Jinn's Lamp and Archaic Scroll come to mind). But I guess you did it in this manner to make it easier to enable drop in and drop out of the 5th player.

Nonetheless a very good template to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.