Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Replability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris penoyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
seriously thinking about taking the plunge on this one before it sells out again (i know, i'm late to the party)

i do have some concerns about the "legacy" nature of the game in terms of replay value. opening sealed boxes and revealing information... placing stickers on the map.... etc etc

for those of you who have had the game a while and played through most of the box; how does the stickers and spoiler revelations affect the replay value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sajuro
United States
yucaipa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hi
mbmbmbmbmb
Stickers don't matter much they are just there to look pretty.

There are so many city and road event cards by the time you finish the game you probably wont remember them all.

If you do a certain scenario it blocks other scenarios so if you reply the game you can try those scenarios you never done before.

You will mostly never unlock all the boxes or envelops on your first try.

Pretty sure you need to replay the campaign in order to unlock everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack
Poland
Warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
What a lovely day!
badge
Ninja
mbmbmb
Sajuro wrote:
Stickers don't matter much they are just there to look pretty.

There are so many city and road event cards by the time you finish the game you probably wont remember them all.

If you do a certain scenario it blocks other scenarios so if you reply the game you can try those scenarios you never done before.

You will mostly never unlock all the boxes or envelops on your first try.

Pretty sure you need to replay the campaign in order to unlock everything.

And by the time you finish the campaign for the first time you will probably won't remember what was happening at the start (mechanically-wise, because story is pretty straightforward). Unless you play this title extensively and finish campaign in two months

I would love to play GH again with heroes that my friends are playing currently. Generally playing a character and seeing what he is doing when someone else is playing feels totally different. Also every playthrough you can unlock different random items from unique chests so different build possibilities arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
herodreamer79 wrote:
seriously thinking about taking the plunge on this one before it sells out again (i know, i'm late to the party)

i do have some concerns about the "legacy" nature of the game in terms of replay value. opening sealed boxes and revealing information... placing stickers on the map.... etc etc

for those of you who have had the game a while and played through most of the box; how does the stickers and spoiler revelations affect the replay value?

I would advise to embrace the legacy aspects of the game. Use the stickers, write on the board, open the envelopes and boxes as needed.

There is SO MUCH CONTENT the replayability of the game should not be a concern. It will take you 100s of hours to play through the game. 60+ sessions. Then you will have mini-campaigns to play. Then you will have solo scenarios. Then you will have expansions to give new content. And so on. You will not need to start at the beginning again.

I have been playing at least once per week since January. I have played 40+ sessions. I estimate have over 25 scenarios remaining. That will take me over 30 sessions to complete. The next expansion comes out in November. I hope I am ready for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Plus, you figure 100 scenarios at 2-4 hours per, you're talking 200-400 hours worth of game play before even needing to worry about replay-ability.

IMO, the plot line is not really rediscoverable there just isn't that much to it to begin with. However, the scenarios are infinitely replayable because every time you will be different levels using different classes and player counts and so they will feel and play out different. Plus there is the random scenario generation on top of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris penoyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Xaqery wrote:
herodreamer79 wrote:

I would advise to embrace the legacy aspects of the game. Use the stickers, write on the board, open the envelopes and boxes as needed.

There is SO MUCH CONTENT the replayability of the game should not be a concern. It will take you 100s of hours to play through the game. 60+ sessions. Then you will have mini-campaigns to play. Then you will have solo scenarios. Then you will have expansions to give new content. And so on. You will not need to start at the beginning again.

I have been playing at least once per week since January. I have played 40+ sessions. I estimate have over 25 scenarios remaining. That will take me over 30 sessions to complete. The next expansion comes out in November. I hope I am ready for it.

This was helpful. Thanks!

Embracing the legacy aspect is what I will do. I think I will take the plunge this coming week. I've watched some youtube videos demonstrating gameplay and I'm just about done reading the PDF rulebook. I feel pretty comfortable that this is a game i will enjoy.

I just want to make sure i cover my bases before buying this BEAST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack
Poland
Warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
What a lovely day!
badge
Ninja
mbmbmb
herodreamer79 wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
herodreamer79 wrote:

Embracing the legacy aspect is what I will do. I think I will take the plunge this coming week. I've watched some youtube videos demonstrating gameplay and I'm just about done reading the PDF rulebook. I feel pretty comfortable that this is a game i will enjoy.

Please think twice before embracing legacy aspect a little bit "too much", by tearing up cards for example, which is completely unnecessary in my opinion.

Also - while this game is certainly an expensive one, it still has one of the best price/value ratios among dungeon crawling games. For instance Descent with one expansion is the same price as GH and offers much less replay value IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although GH may cost 2 to 3 times more than other games on your shelf, you’ll likely get much more than 2 to 3 times the gameplay out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
divibyzero wrote:
Please think twice before embracing legacy aspect a little bit "too much", by tearing up cards for example, which is completely unnecessary in my opinion.

Right. NO WHERE in the rules does it tell you to tear up cards. DO NOT TEAR UP YOUR CARDS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Berro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have played through the entire campaign twice -- once solo with two characters and once with my wife (mostly concurrent compaigns) -- and I never used any of the legacy aspects of the game. (I also have not quite unlocked all of the scenarios, but that's a different issue which will be rectified during my 3rd play through at some point.)

Instead of applying stickers I simply kept track of our progress (scenarios, events, and other information) in Excel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris penoyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
divibyzero wrote:
herodreamer79 wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
herodreamer79 wrote:

Also - while this game is certainly an expensive one, it still has one of the best price/value ratios among dungeon crawling games. For instance Descent with one expansion is the same price as GH and offers much less replay value IMO

I would never tear up the cards lol. that's just crazy.

I like to keep my components in pristine order... just the idea of putting stickers on cards makes me cringe and is borderline unfathomable for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thelon Con

Indiana
msg tools
herodreamer79 wrote:

I like to keep my components in pristine order... just the idea of putting stickers on cards makes me cringe and is borderline unfathomable for me.

Well you can buy the removable sticker set or use card sleeves and put the stickers on the sleeves to keep the cards pristine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NFLed wrote:
I have played through the entire campaign twice -- once solo with two characters and once with my wife (mostly concurrent compaigns) -- and I never used any of the legacy aspects of the game. (I also have not quite unlocked all of the scenarios, but that's a different issue which will be rectified during my 3rd play through at some point.)

Instead of applying stickers I simply kept track of our progress (scenarios, events, and other information) in Excel.

If you have iOS you can also download Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker to keep track of it all w/o stickering etc. I’m stickering but still use the app. It’s very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sylvester
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
mb
herodreamer79 wrote:
divibyzero wrote:
herodreamer79 wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
herodreamer79 wrote:

I would never tear up the cards lol. that's just crazy.

The icon telling you to remove a card from the game is a picture of tearing a card in two, and since there area games where you do this (Pandemic Legacy), some people assume they are supposed to physically tear the card up. Issac has said this was never the intention. You just remove it from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris penoyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
tibbles wrote:
Plus, you figure 100 scenarios at 2-4 hours per, you're talking 200-400 hours worth of game play before even needing to worry about replay-ability.

might be a dumb question - but do the scenarios get redundant at all? i mean 100 scenarios of killing bad guys - all of which are 2-4 hours to complete... there's only so many ways you can stack a room with bad guys and say "go" right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Actually, there is quite a few ways (definitely more than 100) in which you can say ‘go’. Different set-ups, classes, levels, class combinations all make a difference. I’m about 85 scenarios in (campaign, solo scenarios, bonus kickstarter campaign), and it’s not stale yet. Looking forward to a second campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herodreamer79 wrote:
tibbles wrote:

might be a dumb question - but do the scenarios get redundant at all? i mean 100 scenarios of killing bad guys - all of which are 2-4 hours to complete... there's only so many ways you can stack a room with bad guys and say "go" right?

The only ones I’m finding “meh” after just 25 plays are the “kill all enemies”. I just don’t find that objective very fun. It’s seems to be the “go to” goal for many scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
ParisPink wrote:
The only ones I’m finding “meh” after just 25 plays are the “kill all enemies”. I just don’t find that objective very fun. It’s seems to be the “go to” goal for many scenarios.

I agree that as a goal, it's not that exciting, but the challenge of doing so is quite varied. Changing monsters, changing terrain, changing layout, all set against a background of evolving and new characters, keeps the challenge fresh.

An alternative way of looking at is "find the treasure chest and loot it", with killing all the monsters being a byproduct of that goal. It's the lure of the unknown, that mysterious treasure that may be lurking in the dark corner, that can make new scenarios fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
herodreamer79 wrote:
tibbles wrote:

It's no more, and less redundant than most dungeon crawlers. Even if room setups look similar (and they did a pretty good job varying them), you'll have changed party composition since the prior time and so it plays different.

I admit, I have been a bit worn on the game recently, but I also played 70+ scenarios solo and another 40-50 in a 4p group, so that still puts it many hours played ahead of almost every other board game I've bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.