Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain» Forums » General

Subject: Turning cards - why not face up deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
thedaffodilfish
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been asked in previous COIN forums, but rather than turning the top card of the deck over, why not just play with the deck face-up? Is there a particular reason further into the game? Just curious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Smith
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One minor reason occurs to me: when an Epoch card makes its appearance in the on-deck spot, it will immediately replace the active card. You might have to be careful when swapping the two that you don't accidentally peek ahead.

But I can't see any reason why you couldn't play face-up and just be careful not to peek (or let your cat knock over the deck!) if you preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also because there's no guarantee that the draw pile will stay straight. If someone - a cat jumping onto the table, say - accidentally bumps the pile and all the cards are face up, you risk seeing some of the cards further down in it... whereas if the cards are face down, you only see the card backs.

(Edit: ninja)

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe too many of us are old men, but we always pass the active cards around to read them -- the current one and the next one. We need to be able to pick up the card without revealing another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FWIW when I started playing COIN games I did put all the cards face up, but changed to face down since it was a bit too easy to accidentally disturb a tall stack of sleeved cards... even if I'd locked the cats out of the game room

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how anyone plays without passing the card around -- you have to actually read it, and the table size is too big for everyone to see what it says from where they are sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this when playing solitaire, but players have a habit of picking up the top card so they can read the text, which reveals the card underneath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
I do this when playing solitaire, but players have a habit of picking up the top card so they can read the text, which reveals the card underneath.

It just now occurred to me that the OP might be a solo player. If you sit there with the stacks right in front of you, that does change things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thedaffodilfish
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone - i am indeed a solo player so reading/revealing cards isn't that much of an issue.

My cat however *is* an issue :-) I've started leaving the box lid upside down on the table - cats love boxes and she leaves the board alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the drama of flipping a card, seeing if that propagranda/coup/winter/epoch card is there. I'm a nerd and also count out the cards and put the req # under the prop card (for example, playing pendragon now and put the 12 (or less if capability played) under the epoch on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.