Space Base» Forums » Rules

Subject: Punished by being first player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Harris
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So we played Space Base today and the first player was upset and felt he was punished three times for being first player. The issue: The advantage of being fist is first buy. This advantage is countered by getting no additional resources. So an advantage and disadvantage, except the card drawn to determine this player was first was one that cost 5 taking all this players starting credits, and it also flipped a slot he didn’t want to. So with no money and low amount earned on first turn he was unable to buy anything, and the card he did get he didn’t want.

Solutions? Maybe the drawn cards to determine first player ber optional? You can shuffle it back into deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is filled with randomness. I’d say just accept the challenge when misfortune comes.

(I personally don’t see an issue. The whole game, the first player should be at a 1 card deployed advantage on others’ turns.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this imaginary. Each player should gets at least 2 credits on the first turn and there are usually 1 or 2 cards available that cost 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards that cost 5 are the cards I would want to buy the first turn. They are the cards that allow you to also claim rewards of another column and are the powerful ones once deployed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuntman wrote:
The cards that cost 5 are the cards I would want to buy the first turn. They are the cards that allow you to also claim rewards of another column and are the powerful ones once deployed.

Bu there is no guarantee that the second player would get 1 of those first turn either. Remember they have a very slim chance of gaining credits on your first turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Stuntman wrote:

Bu there is no guarantee that the second player would get 1 of those first turn either. Remember they have a very slim chance of gaining credits on your first turn

The OP said the first player drew this card as his force buy in the setup. All things considered, I would think this is a good start for the first player even if he has no more credits. On his first turn, he'll get a minimum of 2 credits unless he rolls an income reward and chooses that instead. If I were the first player, I'd be fairly happy with this start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solutions:

1) For the first drawn card: Draw X cards (where X is the number of players) and lay them down. Now in player order, players select a card.

2) Every players start with 5 extra gold. Draw 2 cards instead of 1. (This make the game gooes on faster).

3) Mix solutions 1 and 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Solutions:

1) For the first drawn card: Draw X cards (where X is the number of players) and lay them down. Now in player order, players select a card.

2) Every players start with 5 extra gold. Draw 2 cards instead of 1. (This make the game gooes on faster).

From which deck would you draw the cards? I ask because I might just try this with my group tonight; this game's a hit with my club!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
STIG240 wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
Solutions:

From which deck would you draw the cards? I ask because I might just try this with my group tonight; this game's a hit with my club!

All from the lowest deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STIG240 wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
Solutions:

Deck 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
STIG240 wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
Solutions:

Deck 1.

Thanks for the quick reply, I also forgot to ask for 1) are the cards laid down faceup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STIG240 wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
STIG240 wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
Solutions:

Deck 1.

Thanks for the quick reply, I also forgot to ask for 1) are the cards laid down faceup?

Obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Played for first time yesterday with 5p at a demo. Our 1st player, who had passed 40 to take the lead, was then surpassed by 3rd player who rolled a 12 (allowing me to also cross the line to 41); then I, the fourth player rolled two 2s, giving the first player enough spaceships to re-gain the lead by 1 point over player #3.

Totally random. BUT FUN FINISH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Miller
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 8 or 10 times at this point. First player does not win or lose any more than anyone else in our games. Your friend got bad luck and happened to be going first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.