Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game for a couple of years I've decided to pimp my game with some custom tokens.
I've been looking at a couple of different token sets but I haven't found an option that combines both a look I like and the denominations I expect to use. The sets that look the best seems to miss some of the "important" denominations.
The denominations that are most common are of value 1, 3, 5 and 10. I don't want to splurge and buy lots of tokens I won't use. Custom tokens aren't cheap. So I thought I'd use the collective wisdom of BGG and ask what denomination other players have found the most useful.

My expectations of which denominations are useful for the different types of tokens are the following:

Resources
1: Need plenty of these to distribute between heroes and other effects.
3: Some of these might be useful. Sometimes card draws can't keep up with the Steward. Also useful for stuff like tracking rescued villagers and a pumped up Shelob.
5+: Seems very rare that resources of 5+ will be useful.

Wounds
1: Lots of these.
3: Useful for bosses and the occasional hero who's living on the edge.
5+: Useful for a few things, like Lake-town, but used very rarely. Might as well use 3s and save money.

Progress
1: Northern tracker want 1s.
3: Nice to have. I figure 1s are better for locations and higher denominations are better for quests.
5: Useful for most quest cards. I always stack my 1s in piles of five for easy counting. Replacing each stack with a single token seems like it will be pretty common.
10: Very rare. Few quests have more than 20 quests points.

That was a lot of text for something as trivial as tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use dice. I use red dice for wounds, blue for resources and green for progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danilopatro wrote:
I like to use dice. I use red dice for wounds, blue for resources and green for progress.

Yea this is my go to for most games that use lots of tokens. Not yet for LotR LCG though. Cheap 16 mm D6's in pretty colors are readily available from aliexpress or similiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 1, 3, and 5s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
danilopatro wrote:

This is funny, same colour choices for me for my D6s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C D
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
When stacking the tokens, I usually use:
4x for progress
2x for damange
2x for resources

But, for using different tokens, I think it would be useful to have a few 5x for progress (no 3x), a few 3x for damage, and maybe a few 3x for resources (if playing Leadership).

I think that the larger denominations would not be that useful because tokens go on and off so frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently saw

https://www.etsy.com/listing/553994825/standard-lotr-ccg-tok...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer single tokens rather then multiple denominations. I understand wanting to limit the number of tokens for table space and cost, especially when you have a token pool that gets really big. So having multiple denominations are fine if you have a token pool that changes slowly or just keeps increasing like a VP pool.

But for things like resources and wounds that keep changing, it's more work and takes time out of the game immersion to keep changing out denominations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb

The only different denomination I use is for resources only. When I have a Hero with 10+ resources, I cash in 10 in exchange for a green (quest) token. I denote that as like a $10 bill. Then if I go under I just exchange it back for the $1 tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.