Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Google Map of regular Australian Public Gaming Groups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

I know there are loads and loads of gaming groups out there looking for new members, but with information spread across so many different platforms, finding them is nearly impossible for many.

Over on one of the Facebook Forums, I have been experimenting with displaying all the regular gaming groups throughout Australia in a single google map, with details of each meeting, times, days, links to BGG guilds, websites and groups.

We have around 30 groups setup at the moment, but the aim is to try to develop a single source of all the public gaming groups that is relatively easy to find, navigate and is shareable, without too much effort.

If you are interested, you can see the latest Australian Gaming Groups Google Map.

This is all a work in progress and I'm certainly no developer (it's been well over 35 years since I did any coding). Hell, this isn't a good solution, but I am hoping it could be a starting point that generates enough traction to find an even better solution?

To try to make the data entry consistent, I've also developed a Web Form that will capture the information in a spreadsheet, which gets translated into the map.

If you have a regular group that is open to the public, please feel free to add it into the Web Form. If you meet on different schedules, i.e. every Friday and one Saturday per month, etc. You can always add different entries for each.

At the moment I am displaying by day of the week.

Unfortunately, the map does not auto-update from the spreadsheet - I have to do that manually, but it doesn't take long.

Any questions, problems or suggestions, please fire away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Becker
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! I've just submitted details of Critical Mass Northside (Banyo).
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/64776/critical-mass-gam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at this geeklist?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/153695/queenslander-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael, yet another example. BGG is fantastic but a quagmire when trying to find info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.