Chris Bayley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlikely as it may seem if the player breaching the Final Crisis Zone first is on zero VP do they still take the minus 1VP penalty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that this happened to you?

I would have to say no, but I have never seen this in over 200 games. To achieve Zero VPs with 19 cubes and at least 4 Objective cards seen, seems difficult to imagine.

Thanks for the question,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bayley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

Yes it did and hence it prompted me to ask the question but I do have to emphasise that it was while I was casually soloing the game just to get my head round any emergent rules questions and start to familiarise my self with the cards in preparation for teaching the game and face to face play.

On the one hand it wasn't a situation I tried to contrive but on the other hand each side had at least an "unfair" subconscious knowledge of what the other side's hidden objective card was, general intentions that turn etc making it much easier to counter than a two player game. I certainly wasn't going for optimised play either simply placing the maximum number of cubes as directed by the cards. So obviously not a level playing field comparison with two players going head to head which adds to the raw mathematical unlikelihood of a consistent high cube placement Strategy Card draw. It just kind of popped out the woodwork so I thought I'd ask.

It happened in turn two to the Union side. I don't remember the exact cards but they were consistently high cube placement Strategy cards and taking them directly from the Escalation Crisis Zone to the Final Crisis Zone in a single card play. That triggered the -1 VP penalty when they were still on zero VPs having scored nothing in the first turn.

Thanks for your quick response and time on this. I know its a marginal case.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Bayley wrote:
Hi Mark,

Yes it did and hence it prompted me to ask the question but I do have to emphasise that it was while I was casually soloing the game just to get my head round any emergent rules questions and start to familiarise my self with the cards in preparation for teaching the game and face to face play.

On the one hand it wasn't a situation I tried to contrive but on the other hand each side had at least an "unfair" subconscious knowledge of what the other side's hidden objective card was, general intentions that turn etc making it much easier to counter than a two player game. I certainly wasn't going for optimised play either simply placing the maximum number of cubes as directed by the cards. So obviously not a level playing field comparison with two players going head to head which adds to the raw mathematical unlikelihood of a consistent high cube placement Strategy Card draw. It just kind of popped out the woodwork so I thought I'd ask.

It happened in turn two to the Union side. I don't remember the exact cards but they were consistently high cube placement Strategy cards and taking them directly from the Escalation Crisis Zone to the Final Crisis Zone in a single card play. That triggered the -1 VP penalty when they were still on zero VPs having scored nothing in the first turn.

Thanks for your quick response and time on this. I know its a marginal case.

Chris

Well I guess it is technically possible, but in that case how far behind was the side with zero points that breached the final crisis? I guess if every Crisis dimension was blocked up and the Objective cards were never scored by either side you have demonstrated that its possible.

I have just never seen it in actual or even solo play before. Live and learn.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bayley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

I've solo'd the game quite a few times now - really enjoying it btw - but from memory the Confederacy had a 2 VP lead after round 1 scoring. They also drew high cube placement cards and were able to counter the Union somewhat artificially as I said earlier.

As I remarked when I first posted the question I knew it was a highly unlikely edge case requiring high value cards placing a minimum of 13 cubes over the first two rounds whilst failing to score any VPs by that side in the first round and no doubt needing sub-optimal play which I wasn't really focussing on at the time.

I appreciate you taking the time to pick up on my question though.

Best regards,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.