Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple eco-tags rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Cadot
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
first of all, I apologize, as I do not have the game in front of me and I do not know the name of the cards by heart (anyway, they are in French, so I wouldn't know their name in English). Nevertheless, I am thinking now of a question concerning some cards and I'll try to explain the issue. It can be that it is a problem coming from the French translation.

I had yesterday one card saying that I can take a plant or add a microbe or an animal on any other microbe or animal card I already have in play when I play a card showing a plant tag or a microbe tag or an animal tag. OK, you see the card (I'll call it card X)?

Then my question is: if I play a card showing the three tags at the same time (one plant tag + one microbe tag + one animal tag on the same card), I do activate card X, but then should I perform the action three times (as I play a card with three tags)? Which would mean that I can add three microbes on another microbe card, or three animals, or maybe 1 plant + 1 microbe on a microbe card and one animal on an animal card...

Hope it was clear.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the card say:
-"when you play a card with a plant microbe tag" ?
or
-"when you play a plant or microbe tag"?

The difference is important, if it is "card" you get one resource per card otherwise it is one resource per tag.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In general - when you play a card with multiple tags that trigger an effect, that effect is triggered multiple times. So you are right on that account.

You seem to be wrong (or maybe the translation is wrong) about how the specific card you are talking about works. I am pretty certain you are talking about card 074: Viral Enhancers


074:* Viral Enhancers
Science tag, Microbe tag
Cost: 9
Plant/Microbe/Animal: Plant/Microbe*/Animal*
(Effect: When you play a Plant, Microbe, or an Animal tag, including this, gain 1 Plant or add 1 resource TO THAT CARD.)

Note the phrase in all-caps TO THAT CARD - that means you can't add a microbe or animal to a card you already have in play but ONLY to the card you just played. If the card you just play doesn't collect animals or microbes, you must get plants instead.

You mentioned a card with all three tags, the only one that has that is "advanced ecosystems" which does not collect animals or microbes. In that case you just get 3 plants. If you play "ecological zone" however which is an animal/plant card that does collect animals, you do get to place 2 animals on it I believe.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
Does the card say:
-"when you play a card with a plant microbe tag" ?
or
-"when you play a plant or microbe tag"?

The difference is important, if it is "card" you get one resource per card otherwise it is one resource per tag.


This is a misleading answer. Wording differences rarely matter in this game - unless the words are in all caps they are simply reminder text, the icons are the ones that matter. There are some cards that say "whenever you play an 'X' card" and there are some that say "whenever you play tag 'X'" but both have an icon of that tag, a : sign and then what you get. That iconography always means the effect triggers for every tag played. So far there aren't any cards in the game that make that distinction (which would require new iconography or text in all caps) so all effects that trigger on tags can trigger multiple times on the same card.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
CBpegasus wrote:
Evil_X wrote:
Does the card say:
-"when you play a card with a plant microbe tag" ?
or
-"when you play a plant or microbe tag"?

The difference is important, if it is "card" you get one resource per card otherwise it is one resource per tag.


This is a misleading answer. Wording differences rarely matter in this game - unless the words are in all caps they are simply reminder text, the icons are the ones that matter. There are some cards that say "whenever you play an 'X' card" and there are some that say "whenever you play tag 'X'" but both have an icon of that tag, a : sign and then what you get. That iconography always means the effect triggers for every tag played. So far there aren't any cards in the game that make that distinction (which would require new iconography or text in all caps) so all effects that trigger on tags can trigger multiple times on the same card.


Nope. Search for Life is the exception, it is 1 science resource no matter the number of microbe tags (1 or more) on the revealed card (well, this is of course hypothetical, because there is currently no card with two or more microbe tags).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a cardgame language and wording is everything.
If the wrong wording is used on a card the effect will not be as intended. I understand that this can happen but under those circumstances it is resolved with an errata or a replacement card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karelpepiku wrote:
CBpegasus wrote:
Evil_X wrote:
Does the card say:
-"when you play a card with a plant microbe tag" ?
or
-"when you play a plant or microbe tag"?

The difference is important, if it is "card" you get one resource per card otherwise it is one resource per tag.


This is a misleading answer. Wording differences rarely matter in this game - unless the words are in all caps they are simply reminder text, the icons are the ones that matter. There are some cards that say "whenever you play an 'X' card" and there are some that say "whenever you play tag 'X'" but both have an icon of that tag, a : sign and then what you get. That iconography always means the effect triggers for every tag played. So far there aren't any cards in the game that make that distinction (which would require new iconography or text in all caps) so all effects that trigger on tags can trigger multiple times on the same card.


Nope. Search for Life is the exception, it is 1 science resource no matter the number of microbe tags (1 or more) on the revealed card (well, this is of course hypothetical, because there is currently no card with two or more microbe tags).


You are technically right but search for life is different because it's not about cards played but about a card you reveal. The icon has an asterisk so the text defines the effect. Interestingly the text is not in all caps which seems to contradict the rule but it should be clear you refer to the text here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
In a cardgame language and wording is everything.
If the wrong wording is used on a card the effect will not be as intended. I understand that this can happen but under those circumstances it is resolved with an errata or a replacement card.


Not in a game based on iconography like TM. It is established that the iconography rules unless there is an asterisk or all caps text.

Anyways the wording is relatively consistent right now, I believe the only cases the "X card" wording is used instead of "X tag" is with cards that give discount on specific tags like earth and space and currently there are no cards with multiple of those tags. Interestingly teractor and earth office use different wording even though their iconography is identical. Soon (in the colonies expansion) we should get the "luna governor" card with two earth tags - I believe it will be clarified to work the same (give double discount like with Venus Waystation and Venus Governor)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
CBpegasus wrote:
Anyways the wording is relatively consistent right now, I believe the only cases the "X card" wording is used instead of "X tag" is with cards that give discount on specific tags like earth and space and currently there are no cards with multiple of those tags. Interestingly teractor and earth office use different wording even though their iconography is identical. Soon (in the colonies expansion) we should get the "earth governor" card with two earth tags - I believe it will be clarified to work the same (give double discount like with Venus Waystation and Venus Governor)


I hope so We have already changed the wording for the upcoming reprint of Czech edition so everything except for Search for Life is per tag, not per card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Cadot
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
In general - when you play a card with multiple tags that trigger an effect, that effect is triggered multiple times. So you are right on that account.

You seem to be wrong (or maybe the translation is wrong) about how the specific card you are talking about works. I am pretty certain you are talking about card 174: Viral Enhancers


074:* Viral Enhancers
Science tag, Microbe tag
Cost: 9
Plant/Microbe/Animal: Plant/Microbe*/Animal*
(Effect: When you play a Plant, Microbe, or an Animal tag, including this, gain 1 Plant or add 1 resource TO THAT CARD.)

Note the phrase in all-caps TO THAT CARD - that means you can't add a microbe or animal to a card you already have in play but ONLY to the card you just played. If the card you just play doesn't collect animals or microbes, you must get plants instead.

You mentioned a card with all three tags, the only one that has that is "advanced ecosystems" which does not collect animals or microbes. In that case you just get 3 plants. If you play "ecological zone" however which is an animal/plant card that does collect animals, you do get to place 2 animals on it I believe.



Thanks for your reply. It was probably this "viral enhancers", and I realize that the translation made us consider this card as bugged. Indeed, although you say that a resource must be added to THAT CARD (which means the card you just put in play), the translation corresponds to 'this card" (which means the viral enhancer card). However, given that there is no reward for the markers you would put on the viral enhancer card, and given that there are asterisks together with the microbe tag and the animal tag (which mean they have to be put on another card), we considered it as bugged and interpreted it as any other microbe or animal card, but not the one just put in play! Thanks for this clarification.

But then, following my initial question, I also add a card (let's say Card Y) saying that I should add one microbe on it(= card Y) when playing a card with plant, microbe or animal tag. And then at the end , the reward is 1 victory point per 3 microbes on the card.
Thus, when I play the "advanced ecosystems" (that has the three tags at the same time), should I put one or three "units" on this card Y?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Paasca wrote:
CBpegasus wrote:
In general - when you play a card with multiple tags that trigger an effect, that effect is triggered multiple times. So you are right on that account.

You seem to be wrong (or maybe the translation is wrong) about how the specific card you are talking about works. I am pretty certain you are talking about card 174: Viral Enhancers


074:* Viral Enhancers
Science tag, Microbe tag
Cost: 9
Plant/Microbe/Animal: Plant/Microbe*/Animal*
(Effect: When you play a Plant, Microbe, or an Animal tag, including this, gain 1 Plant or add 1 resource TO THAT CARD.)

Note the phrase in all-caps TO THAT CARD - that means you can't add a microbe or animal to a card you already have in play but ONLY to the card you just played. If the card you just play doesn't collect animals or microbes, you must get plants instead.

You mentioned a card with all three tags, the only one that has that is "advanced ecosystems" which does not collect animals or microbes. In that case you just get 3 plants. If you play "ecological zone" however which is an animal/plant card that does collect animals, you do get to place 2 animals on it I believe.



Thanks for your reply. It was probably this "viral enhancers", and I realize that the translation made us consider this card as bugged. Indeed, although you say that a resource must be added to THAT CARD (which means the card you just put in play), the translation corresponds to 'this card" (which means the viral enhancer card). However, given that there is no reward for the markers you would put on the viral enhancer card, and given that there are asterisks together with the microbe tag and the animal tag (which mean they have to be put on another card), we considered it as bugged and interpreted it as any other microbe or animal card, but not the one just put in play! Thanks for this clarification.

But then, following my initial question, I also add a card (let's say Card Y) saying that I should add one microbe on it(= card Y) when playing a card with plant, microbe or animal tag. And then at the end , the reward is 1 victory point per 3 microbes on the card.
Thus, when I play the "advanced ecosystems" (that has the three tags at the same time), should I put one or three "units" on this card Y?


You probably mean Decomposers:
Effect: When you play an Animal, Plant, or Microbe tag, including this, add a Microbe to this card.)
(Requires 3% oxygen. 1 VP per 3 Microbes on this card.

Yes, you add 3 resources on it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Viral Enhaners then Decomposers will give 2 microbes on Decomposers, or 1 microbe plus a plant.

The explanation text can differ in a few cases, but does not impact gameplay (normal icon meanings) unless there is an asterisk. Each tag is normally counted / triggered when you play a card, but the text is sometimes worded as a space card for example, because playing a tag can be more difficult to understand. If the taxt is more difficult to understand than the icons, it is not much use is it?
There are also a few cards with very special abilities and therefore long explanation. We decided to keep this to normal text because having the whole text in capital letters would make it less readable.
It hasn't been easy to keep everything consistent and clear and I'm sure some details could have been done better.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Cadot
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to All,

The replies are clear.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Fryxen wrote:
Viral Enhaners then Decomposers will give 2 microbes on Decomposers, or 1 microbe plus a plant.



Sure Viral Enhancers + Decomposers will do that, but the last question was Decomposers + Advanced Ecosystems.

Fryxen wrote:
The explanation text can differ in a few cases, but does not impact gameplay (normal icon meanings) unless there is an asterisk. Each tag is normally counted / triggered when you play a card, but the text is sometimes worded as a space card for example, because playing a tag can be more difficult to understand. If the taxt is more difficult to understand than the icons, it is not much use is it?
There are also a few cards with very special abilities and therefore long explanation. We decided to keep this to normal text because having the whole text in capital letters would make it less readable.
It hasn't been easy to keep everything consistent and clear and I'm sure some details could have been done better.


Does this mean that Teractor and Earth Office are played the same way as Point Luna, so they are activated twice by Luna Governor?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karelpepiku wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Viral Enhaners then Decomposers will give 2 microbes on Decomposers, or 1 microbe plus a plant.



Sure Viral Enhancers + Decomposers will do that, but the last question was Decomposers + Advanced Ecosystems.

Fryxen wrote:
The explanation text can differ in a few cases, but does not impact gameplay (normal icon meanings) unless there is an asterisk. Each tag is normally counted / triggered when you play a card, but the text is sometimes worded as a space card for example, because playing a tag can be more difficult to understand. If the taxt is more difficult to understand than the icons, it is not much use is it?
There are also a few cards with very special abilities and therefore long explanation. We decided to keep this to normal text because having the whole text in capital letters would make it less readable.
It hasn't been easy to keep everything consistent and clear and I'm sure some details could have been done better.


Does this mean that Teractor and Earth Office are played the same way as Point Luna, so they are activated twice by Luna Governor?


Yes, as the same way as the Research card with two science tags do trigger for example Mars University twice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Questions about how specific cards work are alot easier to answer. You can get all the details you need to ask from this amazing site.
https://ssimeonoff.github.io/
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.